Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
7/16/15 6:09 a.m.

I've been thinking about doing something with the tail lights on the Abarth for awhile. The Turbo lights have a black trim, vs the chrome trim on the Abarth and regular models, but don't want to spend big $$ to replace them. I thought about Plastidip around the edge, thought about VHT black-out but didn't want the hassle of tickets or accidents.

Then someone reminded me they make a red VHT. Hmmmm.... I could even mask a 1" spot for the PIAA backup lights I installed using labels from work. Presto. A few hours of work including clear coat:

It's a minor thing, but damn I think it looks so much better. I already dipped the chrome bits front and back, and just sprung for real carbon fiber door handle covers. Chrome be gone!

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
7/16/15 7:39 a.m.

I saw that on Instagram, looks good.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltraDork
7/16/15 8:10 a.m.

That really looks good. Why can't oem's make non gaudy/hideous lights anymore? Thats what SHOULD be staring me in the face in traffic, not altezza meets Daewoo meets jaguar.

nokincy
nokincy Reader
7/16/15 8:43 a.m.

The stock lights weren't that offensive. Doesn't look bad but it sort of reminds me of a cicada now, looks like you did a good job.

edizzle89
edizzle89 HalfDork
7/16/15 10:09 a.m.

easily 20x better looking, there are a lot of new car tail lights that just look awful, thank you for your effort to correct that!

ssswitch
ssswitch HalfDork
7/16/15 10:51 a.m.

I would've kept the reverse light cutout the same size but the chrome trim definitely had to go. Good work!

wae
wae HalfDork
7/16/15 11:37 a.m.

Looks awesome!

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
7/16/15 12:19 p.m.

In reply to ssswitch:

I thought about trying to get fancy with masking, but I had 1" circle labels at work I could use to put exactly where the blue PIAA bulbs peek out.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/15 1:09 p.m.

Probably "technically" an inspection fail. But it does look better in a kind of retro way.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
7/16/15 2:41 p.m.

Looks good to me..

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
7/16/15 2:42 p.m.

Definitely more of a rally look to it. I probably would have gone with blacking out the chrome and red-tinting the rest the way you did, just to reduce the amount of red area.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS HalfDork
7/16/15 5:42 p.m.

looks fantastic, high five for the great idea

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
On3XBGn1usJgPvuiDXt5NdPlT2SZLOM1dHl03K4FVuxdMW7FlbdvaOVZ9h27bh7U