1 2
ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/1/12 10:15 a.m.

Bottom Line Up Front: Where is the list of GRM-approved JDM motor resellers?

A couple weeks ago there was a thread about a bad JDM motor source, Tiger.

Well, I've bought a solid, but ugly old B13 1994 Nissan Sentra SE-R with the help of experts on this board. I think that, someday when I no longer need the car as a commuter, I'd like to make it into a track day car and a big part of that conversion would be to source an SR20DET (turbo version of the factory motor sold in the SE-R). It is a VERY common swap and I'm not worried about being able to figure it out, but where can I safely get one of these motors? How about a 20V 4AGE Toyota motor if I ever get another early MR2? There must be someone trustworthy in this market!

sachilles
sachilles Dork
4/1/12 10:38 a.m.

I've had good luck with Hmotorsonline. http://www.hmotorsonline.com/shop/

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/1/12 12:32 p.m.

Interesting, prices are a little higher, but I can see this being an area where the cliche "you get what you pay for" might be true. Unfortunately it looks like they only do Honda motors? Maybe specialization is another good sign for these sorts of businesses...

May I ask what you bought from them?

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
4/1/12 1:44 p.m.

Had a car with a b16 purchased from them swapped in. Had another b16 from them. Had a honda transmission from them. Friend bought a b18 from them. All worked as promised. While it could be argued that the motors themselves are sturdy of their own accord, truth is any used motor is a crap shoot. I was a return customer because, they delivered what they said they'd deliver. It was delivered when promised, and packaged well so that there was no damage on arrival. No games. When buying a big used part, that is really all I can reasonably expect. The crate the transmission came in was so sturdy, I still use it to this day to throw my scrap metal in.

corytate
corytate Dork
4/1/12 2:38 p.m.

nagasakijdmmotors.com I was told (by someone else on this board actually) are reliable

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/1/12 2:50 p.m.
corytate wrote: nagasakijdmmotors.com I was told (by someone else on this board actually) are reliable

Oh that wasn't a good thing to post. That Skyline they have listed is giving me ideas....

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Reader
4/1/12 5:19 p.m.

Myself and 3 friends all used tiger. Ymmv.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
4/1/12 5:23 p.m.
The0retical wrote:
corytate wrote: nagasakijdmmotors.com I was told (by someone else on this board actually) are reliable
Oh that wasn't a good thing to post. That Skyline they have listed is giving me ideas....

Thats where I got mine. I highly suggest them as a satisfied customer.

The0retical
The0retical Reader
4/1/12 5:36 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
The0retical wrote:
Thats where I got mine. I highly suggest them as a satisfied customer.

Not to thread hijack or anything but, was your car imported and modified to meet the US DOT red tape or under the exemption?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/1/12 5:56 p.m.

I believe he got an RB motor, not a Skyline itself.

corytate
corytate Dork
4/1/12 7:40 p.m.

I gotta say, thats a damn good deal for a gt-r but the rhd turbo mr2 has my eye of lust right now

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess UltimaDork
4/1/12 8:11 p.m.
icaneat50eggs wrote: Myself and 3 friends all used tiger. Ymmv.

I think there's at least 3 people who post on teh board, here, that have been burned by tiger motorsports.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/1/12 8:22 p.m.

crap if i had an extra $1600 i'd be ordering the RB25DET swap and putting it in my sonoma.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
4/1/12 8:27 p.m.

Tiger Japanese seems to be the cheapest. I've heard good and bad things about them.

Also, have you considered the SR20VE swap? Love that motor. Made my b13 scoot.

Fit_Is_Slo
Fit_Is_Slo HalfDork
4/1/12 9:56 p.m.

A couple of Nissan SR20's would pull a premium one week before race wars.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
4/1/12 10:28 p.m.
Taiden wrote: Tiger Japanese seems to be the cheapest. I've heard good and bad things about them. Also, have you considered the SR20VE swap? Love that motor. Made my b13 scoot.

Check out the link from my original post, lots of bad experiences w/ Tiger from folks on the board.

The SR20VE was the variable valve timing SR20, right? I'm pretty new to the B13/SR20 thing, how does it compare to the (frankly legendary) SRD20DET?

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
4/1/12 10:43 p.m.

In reply to The0retical:

I got the motor, not the car. Its best just to wait until you can legally import it without modifications. Any other way seems sketchy.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/2/12 8:22 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote:
Taiden wrote: Tiger Japanese seems to be the cheapest. I've heard good and bad things about them. Also, have you considered the SR20VE swap? Love that motor. Made my b13 scoot.
Check out the link from my original post, lots of bad experiences w/ Tiger from folks on the board. The SR20VE was the variable valve timing SR20, right? I'm pretty new to the B13/SR20 thing, how does it compare to the (frankly legendary) SRD20DET?

Well, it's n/a and doesn't make as much power. It's also lighter because no turbo hardware, and probably less complicated. It's awesome.

Mazworx uses the VE head on their built turbo SR20s makeing 1000whp.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
4/2/12 11:15 a.m.

Not sure I'd buy anything from any salvage place and not at the least go through it checking it.....

I've seen TONS of Blacktops(2nd gen Toyota 20V "A" engine) come through with mass quantities of sludge. I can't speak to RBs or SRs... but with 4AGs... its smart to at least pop the cam covers off before you buy it...

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
4/2/12 11:39 a.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Not sure I'd buy anything from any salvage place and not at the least go through it checking it..... I've seen TONS of Blacktops(2nd gen Toyota 20V "A" engine) come through with mass quantities of sludge. I can't speak to RBs or SRs... but with 4AGs... its smart to at least pop the cam covers off before you buy it...

Certain shops do different things. I know at Nagasaki (in Richmond) they will start and run the engine before putting it on the market. Mine still Gantt been run by me, but looking in, her internals are shiny as hell.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
4/2/12 12:59 p.m.

The SR20VE is like a cheap K20 with much less aftermarket support

clownkiller
clownkiller Reader
4/2/12 8:50 p.m.

http://nadauto.com/default.aspx

Local here in Atlanta, I have bought from them with no problems, I always picked up. FWIW Drop by the Mitty in May and pick up your motor.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
4/2/12 8:57 p.m.

We have a local shop here for JDM. I ordered from out of the country for a reason. Douches.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/3/12 8:29 a.m.
clownkiller wrote: http://nadauto.com/default.aspx Local here in Atlanta, I have bought from them with no problems, I always picked up. FWIW Drop by the Mitty in May and pick up your motor.

I've heard good things about these guys in the 3sgte community.

UNF. WANT!!!!

http://nadauto.com/PartData.aspx?id=715

corytate
corytate Dork
4/3/12 9:22 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
clownkiller wrote: http://nadauto.com/default.aspx Local here in Atlanta, I have bought from them with no problems, I always picked up. FWIW Drop by the Mitty in May and pick up your motor.
I've heard good things about these guys in the 3sgte community. UNF. WANT!!!! http://nadauto.com/PartData.aspx?id=715

i want one of those $1800 rhd st185 front clips!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RSGrW3PDtKvS5Xo4VsuTouCibl9oLJZO4IC1PZ8sPxtwKymnfSZaydWT2n28cg4C