accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/24/18 9:54 p.m.

The previous owner of my Megasquirtpnp2 had these running in his turbo miata - makes you wonder how many people have bad injectors in their cars.... I'm getting ready to supercharge the Exocet, so I was getting some known good injectors ready. I used RC Injectors, the turn around was quick - I think they're a GRM sponsor as well? Great service either way!

bentwrench
bentwrench SuperDork
11/24/18 10:04 p.m.

What could you have done with a 9v battery a can of spray cleaner and some compressed air?

I'm collecting parts for a flow bench using a MS system.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/24/18 10:09 p.m.

In reply to bentwrench :

Fo sho! I went with the pros - I have enough projects without making another ;)

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/18 11:31 p.m.

Interesting. How long did they sit since they last ran?

If they sat for a long time, I wonder how much/how quickly they'd start flowing as they should after some use.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/18 2:17 a.m.
bentwrench said:

What could you have done with a 9v battery a can of spray cleaner and some compressed air?

This one of those calculations where the cost of doing it right is very low compared to the cost of a failure caused by not doing it right. A 9v battery and some spray cleaner might have worked - but is it worth the risk of losing an engine due to a lean cylinder? If you're not monitoring individual AFRs or EGTs, you wouldn't know you had a problem. You can rig up a test bench to check flow and you can eyeball the pattern, or you can just get the pros to do it for a pretty reasonable price.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/25/18 5:54 a.m.

What does such work cost and how does it factor into the challenge budget?

Pete

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/18 6:30 a.m.
NOHOME said:

What does such work cost and how does it factor into the challenge budget?

Pete

Because it was farmed out, The Challenge cost is the same as the actual cost.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
11/25/18 7:03 a.m.

A BMW pro tech I was speaking with said that he's seen essentially new motors with a +/-50% spread in injector flow rates, which seems astonishing, but I trust him and he's seen a lot more than I have. When I can make time to take my daily off the road for a week I'm planning to pull the injectors and send them off.

djsilver
djsilver Reader
11/25/18 9:10 a.m.
flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/25/18 9:55 a.m.

Check out Injector Pulse for reasonable injector cleaning prices. The owner is a Spec Miata racer and the top cars on the East Coast use his service.  $20/ea isn't bad, there are several in my autocross club who've used him then picked up several HP since it could be more accurately retuned.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/25/18 10:09 a.m.

In reply to flatlander937 :

Thanks for the price reference. In my mind with zero frame of reference, I was imagining over $200 for the service.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/18 10:17 a.m.

what was the price?

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
11/25/18 10:27 a.m.
bentwrench said:

I have a test setup with a small fuel tank (one of those ~2 gal drag race fuel cell thingy), a regulator/filter, a Bosch fuel pump, and a pigtail to connect to any injector w/ an EV1 connector.  I hook a car battery up to it and have a momentary switch inline w/ the injector wiring, so I push the button and the injector sprays (hopefully).  I can easily assess if an injector is working / dripping / plugged.  I haven't tried to actually measure fuel flow, but I suppose a beaker, a stopwatch, and some maths would get me there.  I usually shoot mineral spirits through them to clean 'em and so I'm not spraying gasoline everywhere.  

flatlander937
flatlander937 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/25/18 10:58 a.m.

The whole process that Injector Pulse does is documented on their website.  Xavier is a stand up guy... Let him know that Tony from TSCC referred you smiley

http://www.injectorpulse.com/service-procedure/

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/25/18 11:37 a.m.

I took mine to a decent local diesel shop. They had all the equipment to flow test the injectors, and didn’t charge the race car premium. 

$7 each. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/25/18 12:27 p.m.

I think it was 30 an injector including shipping, they flow test AND rebuild the injectors (looks like they had to replace all the soft parts on all 4 of mine...). I'm very satisfied and the process was hassle free. Very glad I did, now to get my supercharger ordered....

Injector #2 was really working for a living.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/18 2:23 p.m.

nice, I need to replace the o-rings on the disco, might as well send out the injectors for a good cleaning and balancing while there. Certainly cheaper than buying new

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
11/25/18 3:06 p.m.
PeteD
PeteD GRM+ Memberand New Reader
11/25/18 7:19 p.m.

I had similarly good results getting injectors cleaned at Marren Injection here in CT. for $25ea.

The results show increased injector flow (~4%), eliminated flow variance for each injector (between trials), and greatly reduced the flow variance among the set of injectors (was 6%; is 2%).

I'd like to know how often this cleaning should be done ... every year? every 25K miles? Any ideas?

-- Pete

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/18 8:08 p.m.

I suspect the length of time sitting is as much of a factor as mileage. Probably more. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H9lAaMpSTJdP2IXNFG23nyuXs0HI3grwrwKCYu2aY4FmmnkSBgIaycvOBccYxxMo