1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
9/22/15 1:51 p.m.

Dajiban time!

Esoteric Nixon
Esoteric Nixon UltraDork
9/22/15 3:11 p.m.

That sucks. I was really hoping this would be a thread in which you showed us your snazzy new van wearing new wheels or autocrossing. Hoping it gets resolved soon!

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
9/22/15 3:22 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Another month does not make me happy. Informed them this would be a slam dunk Lemon Law claim, but I'd rather solve it directly with them. Waiting to hear back on who at the dealership is capable of making a deal.

Could be time to look for a DEEP discount. If FL is an arbitration state, writing an article (or the appearance of doing so) and naming names could do the trick.

wawazat
wawazat Reader
9/22/15 3:32 p.m.

JG-start the complaint process to get a case number. This was advice I was give by an FCA employee. It opens up a whole new level of eyes on your problem.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
9/22/15 3:39 p.m.

I feel your pain. My wife's Fiat has been at the dealer for 11 weeks as of today. They gave us a loaner about a month ago (after much bitching), but we're still paying for a car that we don't drive. Car's at 27k miles, so beyond Lemon Law. We did call Fiat Cares..... they don't.....

I realized, though, that they have us over a barrel. They're the only dealer in town and the biggest dealer in the US. Where else would we go? I called a dealer 100 miles away and was told it would be a MONTH before they could even look at it.

We had similar issues to yours when we bought the 500L. It was one of the first ones in the country and had a rock crack the windshield about a week later. It was two weeks before we could get it replaced because the parts infrastructure just wasn't in place to get a new one. And it was new enough the aftermarket didn't have them available either.

Manufacturers are rushing to get cars sold and hope they get the parts figured out quick enough afterwards. You got stuck in that.

-Rob

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/15 5:38 p.m.

You are making me glad I didn't decide to buy two of them.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/22/15 6:30 p.m.

There are two problems. The first, and more irritating to me, would be the runaround and outright bullE36 M3 you are getting from the service department. The second is the simple fact that there probably isn't a windshield anywhere in North America, and there isn't very much to be done about that.

I didn't see anywhere how badly broken the windshield is- Totally bitched, or just cracked and driveable?

That'll teach you to buy a brand new model.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/22/15 7:24 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: I try not to play the car journalist card, because I always worry it will make me look like a dick (cue response "Oh, THAT'S not why you look like a dick...). Anyway, I like to try and handle stuff like this as a civilian, but I wouldn't be opposed to contacting the press folks at Chrysler with the story and getting some insider advice from them. They may be able to help me skip a level or two of bureaucracy in getting proper service.
You did the tasteful thing by not throwing your ace on the table at the beginning of the game,but now they are jerking you around. What's the point of having an ace and not playing it, especially against the house? You got the cards honestly, play them for what they're worth.

agreed. You don't need to pull your Johnson out all the time just to brag, but you are allowed to occasionally pull it out to smack someone with a dose of reality. You work for a publication that is supported in some way or another by car manufacturers (allowing you to test cars, etc) who are looking for you to say (hopefully) good things about their cars. It's quid pro quo. And there's nothing wrong with dropping the fact of who you work for. Don't need to say it in a threatenign way, just a "man, I work for an automotive magazine and have never had this kind of trouble before with a car, hint hint" type of thing.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/22/15 7:30 p.m.
F-350SD wrote: Cut a windshield out of one of the white ones and put it in yours? They broke it, they need to figure out a solution.

When my 09 WRX spun a bearing at 9k miles (one of the early-build cars that had this issue), SOA replaced the engine in warranty and needed to do the turbo as well. But since the car had only been out for a few months, no dealer in the country had a spare VF52 available. After 2 weeks waiting to get the engine put in and another week waiting for the turbo, the dealer eventually just pulled a VF52 off of a new car on the lot and put it on mine (and I'm assuming replaced the other one when the part finally came in).

Don't see why they couldn't do the same with a windshield....

Wallie
Wallie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/15 7:59 p.m.

In reply to irish44j: Quid pro quo sounded a lot more fun in the harassment training videos. As if I needed any more training

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/22/15 9:09 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: You are making me glad I didn't decide to buy two of them.

At least you'd have a spare windshield.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/22/15 9:13 p.m.
iadr wrote:
irish44j wrote:
F-350SD wrote: Cut a windshield out of one of the white ones and put it in yours? They broke it, they need to figure out a solution.
When my 09 WRX spun a bearing at 9k miles (one of the early-build cars that had this issue), SOA replaced the engine in warranty and needed to do the turbo as well. But since the car had only been out for a few months, no dealer in the country had a spare VF52 available. After 2 weeks waiting to get the engine put in and another week waiting for the turbo, the dealer eventually just pulled a VF52 off of a new car on the lot and put it on mine (and I'm assuming replaced the other one when the part finally came in). Don't see why they couldn't do the same with a windshield....
Uh, because windshields are removed in handsfulls? Have been since the end of floating windields in the very early 1980's. Armfulls actually would be more correct. Big bundle of icy looking stuff held together by the laminate.

IDK, back in 2006 or so when I had the (2000) Maxima windshield replaced due to a quarter-sized rock chip right in the middle of it, the Safelite guy took it out in one piece without breaking it. I wasn't really paying much attention to how he did it, but he didn't seem to have any difficulty.

IF the dealer told him it was 50-50, that would imply that it can be successfully done at least half the time

JG Pasterjak
9/22/15 9:21 p.m.

Update: Dealership finally pushed me over the edge. Service rep messaged me with "Ok... Latest info... Talked to the parts manager... A windshield has been sent from the supplier to Chrysler, once Chrysler receives it they send it to us and the current ETA is 10/20/15"

A return message confirmed that none of this was truly confirmable or trackable. Not that October Berkeleying 20th would be acceptable anyway. So I messaged her back with the following three options: 1) Fix my van by Friday (date first payment is due). 2) Offer me a similarly equipped replacement vehicle, or a differently equipped replacement vehicle that we can negotiate on or 3) Nullify my contract and let me start over elsewhere. If one of those conclusions could not be reached, I would pursue action under the Florida Lemon Law. I asked her to please put me in touch with a person capable of making those deals.

I got a call back from the parts manager (yes, really).

Same story. "Sorry we can't find one. Could be sooner than the 20th or later, etc, etc." I mentioned my three-tiered option plan, and he said "Yeah, we really can't do that. Anyway, I don't think you're eligible for the Lemon Law because we hire a third party to install those cameras and it was them that broke your windshield, not us."

You'd be really proud of me for not throwing my phone out the window at that point.

So at that point I realized dealing with them was futile. I just finished up an email to our east coast media rep looking for some direction. I'd still really rather settle this with the dealer directly than going through the Lemon proceedings, but I'll do whatever I have to do.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/22/15 9:39 p.m.

I can never remember is this the website where we knock down peoples Christmas tree or is this the one we're we do burnouts on people's grass?

Seriously find our who the 3rd party is. Did you agree to allow a 3rd party to do this work? Do you have recourse directly with the 3rd party. If that is the dealers position it may be time to allow an attorney to start handling your correspondence. At least have one review your paperwork, the sales contract, the service agreement etc. Does your contract or FL law have anything about reasonable fulfilment dates? If your sales agreement was contingent upon receiving a vehicle with backup camera the dealer has not meet their contractual obligations yet. Dunno again something worth considering an attorney to review.
Not because you need to burn them down with lawsuit but just because I suspect resolution is beyond mere.. Hey guys you said this and that would be great if you could.. And is now firmly in the they think they have you over a barrel land.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/22/15 9:40 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Same story. "Sorry we can't find one. Could be sooner than the 20th or later, etc, etc." I mentioned my three-tiered option plan, and he said "Yeah, we really can't do that. Anyway, I don't think you're eligible for the Lemon Law because we hire a third party to install those cameras and it was them that broke your windshield, not us."

The obvious answer to that is "my contract to install the camera is with you, which makes it your problem and not mine".

Fingers crossed that you can get it resolved before it turns really ugly.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
9/22/15 9:41 p.m.

Last I checked, third-party contractors under contract to and working on the premises of a primary contractor (e.g. the dealer) do not eliminate the liability that the primary contractor (e.g. the dealer) has for their work. I'm not a lawyer, but I did stay in a holiday inn last night.

Hopefully you have an actual lawyer you can go to at this point.

And if that fails, it may be time to drop the "DON'T YOU KNOW WHO I AMMMMMMM???????"

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
9/22/15 9:45 p.m.

Dude.. Time to pull out the big gun and start blasting. Based on that conversation you posted the dealer is jerking you around at this point. You didn't contract with the third party to install the camera they did, makes them liable (and responsible) for replacing the windshield and making you whole. (like just about every subcontractor arrangement i've ever seen) I must say you are handling this far better than I would, i'd have Sergio on speed dial

JG Pasterjak
9/22/15 9:51 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: Same story. "Sorry we can't find one. Could be sooner than the 20th or later, etc, etc." I mentioned my three-tiered option plan, and he said "Yeah, we really can't do that. Anyway, I don't think you're eligible for the Lemon Law because we hire a third party to install those cameras and it was them that broke your windshield, not us."
The obvious answer to that is "my contract to install the camera is with you, which makes it your problem and not mine". Fingers crossed that you can get it resolved before it turns really ugly.

Yes, exactly this. The dealer is Chrysler's authorized agent. They subcontracted out the work. Their subcontractor, their problem.

Hopefully getting Chrysler involved will solve the issue. I have no doubt that I'd win an arbitration from the State of Florida if it goes there. The message I'm trying to get to the dealer is just that. They have no case here, so they need to solve it while can still do so quietly and not when the State Attorney forces them to.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/15 9:57 p.m.

Jeez, where did you buy this van, Hennessey Honda of Whereverthatwas?

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/22/15 10:01 p.m.

Why is car dealership culture like this? No way I'd believe that they are seriously running margins so small that they realistically can't take the hit.

But you hear this kind of story all the time. Just perpetuates the idea that car dealers are out to screw you. I really think that car dealerships days are numbered.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/22/15 10:38 p.m.

I own one of the Dodge trucks that is eligible for a buyback because of the way they completely screwed up a recall. Bad ball joints in the steering, but there were no spare parts available. We had a few heated discussions on the phone where the dealer tried to dodge (ha!) responsibility and I pointed out that I was not allowed to buy directly from Dodge and so therefore they were my point of contact. You forced me to deal with you in the first place, so here's the other side of the coin!

They put me off, they made promises, etc. I suggested a part be pulled from a truck on the lot, you'd swear I'd recommended they perform mass executions of kittens. Finally, I got my part when one of my frequent calls landed just after they had received a small shipment of parts. Instead of working their way through "the list" as I had often been told, they just did first-come, first-serve of whoever called when they had parts.

The NHTSA didn't think this was funny, that's why Dodge is being forced to buy back a bunch of trucks and pay a $70 million fine. Next time you wonder why new trucks are so expensive, here's part of the reason.

Sorry to hear it's going so badly, JG. Maybe we should all call your dealer and ask when we can get a windshield.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
9/22/15 10:46 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Update: Dealership finally pushed me over the edge. Service rep messaged me with "Ok... Latest info... Talked to the parts manager... A windshield has been sent from the supplier to Chrysler, once Chrysler receives it they send it to us and the current ETA is 10/20/15" A return message confirmed that none of this was truly confirmable or trackable. Not that October Berkeleying 20th would be acceptable anyway. So I messaged her back with the following three options: 1) Fix my van by Friday (date first payment is due). 2) Offer me a similarly equipped replacement vehicle, or a differently equipped replacement vehicle that we can negotiate on or 3) Nullify my contract and let me start over elsewhere. If one of those conclusions could not be reached, I would pursue action under the Florida Lemon Law. I asked her to please put me in touch with a person capable of making those deals. I got a call back from the parts manager (yes, really). Same story. "Sorry we can't find one. Could be sooner than the 20th or later, etc, etc." I mentioned my three-tiered option plan, and he said "Yeah, we really can't do that. Anyway, I don't think you're eligible for the Lemon Law because we hire a third party to install those cameras and it was them that broke your windshield, not us." You'd be really proud of me for not throwing my phone out the window at that point. So at that point I realized dealing with them was futile. I just finished up an email to our east coast media rep looking for some direction. I'd still really rather settle this with the dealer directly than going through the Lemon proceedings, but I'll do whatever I have to do.

The kid gloves should be off now . . . . . burn the place down!

JG Pasterjak
9/22/15 10:55 p.m.

Yes, I think it's high time I go down there with my pants off and demand satisfaction.

Gloves. I meant gloves. I think that was an autocorrect.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/22/15 11:23 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote: Yes, I think it's high time I go down there with my pants off and demand satisfaction.

I tired that once in a sorority house in college. Didn't work.

Wallie
Wallie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/15 5:05 a.m.
Woody wrote: Jeez, where did you buy this van, Hennessey Honda of Whereverthatwas?

If it wasn't so expensive Id send them a Bag of d's.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TgcZglRvBeRIfBD3SBq7BQghBdD7eV84jGHfeEQqwg7wAYLKYkOPSYM4fs68gX0n