1 2
Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
8/19/08 11:35 a.m.

blockquote>nderwater wrote:

Awesome job on the hood, guys.

stumpmj wrote: No Bob Costas drives a cargo van with 'Free Candy' painted on the side in 4 ft high letters.

Costas Bear

gamby
gamby SuperDork
8/19/08 11:48 a.m.

I never got a Pedobear vibe from Costas. Is he getting accused of being pervy???

nderwater
nderwater New Reader
8/19/08 12:19 p.m.

GRM is becoming 4chan

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/i-hate-bob-costas/2412/page1/

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/so-bob-costas-walks-into-a-grm-forum-and-says/2435/page1/

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
8/19/08 12:32 p.m.
gamby wrote: I never got a Pedobear vibe from Costas. Is he getting accused of being pervy???

When he came on while watching the olympics, it's all my wife and I can tihnk about. It's the bloodshot eyes that look like they're about to pop out of his head that completes the effect.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/08 12:52 p.m.
nderwater wrote: GRM is becoming 4chan http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/i-hate-bob-costas/2412/page1/ http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/so-bob-costas-walks-into-a-grm-forum-and-says/2435/page1/

Don't forget the sequel: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/off-topic-discussion/john-brown-you-shouldnt-have/2537/page1/

cwh
cwh Dork
8/19/08 1:48 p.m.

Screw the hood, please show what's UNDER the hood! And can we get audio on here? Please?

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/19/08 2:05 p.m.

Can I have the old 2 liter motor? I mean now with the LS1 you really have no need for it and all it'll do is take up room in your shop...

Also, I'll need it shipped to CA for free. Thanks.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/08 2:16 p.m.

Shh! Don't talk about the 2-liter. You see, there's a bike-engined Locost that's just moved into the shop and he's within 0.003 seconds of my lap record. So I might need that engine, and I need everyone else at work to forget about it...

What's under the screaming chicken?

Build diary

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/08 2:54 p.m.
Keith wrote: What's under the screaming chicken?

A screaming mouse?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/19/08 3:16 p.m.
Keith wrote: The car's running and self-propelled, but something in the engine management is pissed off and the car's super-rich. We'll have that sorted out soon.

Boost is the proper answer here.

ArtOfRuin
ArtOfRuin Reader
8/19/08 3:44 p.m.

I checked out the project page on Flyin' Miata's website. I was interested in the corner weighting for this conversion, since the subject of LSx swaps came up in another forum I frequent. A Ro-Spit owner brought up concerns about weight balance in smaller, lighter cars (240SX, RX-7, etc.) that receive the conversion. Have you driven the car in anger yet? Has the extra weight made a mess of the handling, or is it still the same Miata handling we all know and love?

ww
ww Dork
8/19/08 4:49 p.m.

I can't speak for the Miata, but I can tell you that an iron block, aluminum heads and aluminum intake manifold on an SBC add a net of about 80 to 100lbs additional to the total weight of a Datsun Z car. This can be mitigated by how far back the motor is set in the engine bay and by relocating the battery to the passenger rear.

The LSx series motors, with aluminum block, aluminum heads and aluminum intake are even less.

Granted, the weight of the stock Datsun Z car L6 is huge for it's displacement, so the comparison probably doesn't translate very well with the Miata's little 4 banger...

I guess what I'm saying is, I have no freakin' clue...

But bring it over and we'll throw it on my Long Acre scales and find out!

Keith
8/19/08 5:12 p.m.

It's already been on our longacre scales, why guess? Details on the build diary, but the overall weight gain is under 200 lbs. 63 lbs (about 1/3) of that is on the rear wheels. The end result is 2536 lbs and 52.6% front. That's without a full tank of gas, which will add its weight to the rear wheels. The gas level was consistent before and after the conversion, though. Before we started, the car had 51.4% on the front. 50/50 Miatas are actually a bit of a legend, even the brochures acknowledge that.

Interestingly, when we had a big turbo (and a water injection tank in the trunk) on this very same car, it weighed in at 2530 with 51.9% front weight on someone else's scales.

I already know it's not going to ruin the Miata's handling. We haven't driven it in anger because the plugs start to foul after about 30 seconds of running, but I've driven Miatas with this sort of weight distribution and even this much weight. Heck, it's almost the same distribution as a 2001 Corvette - and the same engine - but with almost 700 lbs less weight.

amaff
amaff Reader
8/19/08 5:29 p.m.
Keith wrote: Heck, it's almost the same distribution as a 2001 Corvette - and the same engine - but with almost 700 lbs less weight.

fap fap fap fap fap

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
8/19/08 7:58 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHxUVYY5Fb4

or should this goe in the ignore thread?

joey48442
joey48442 Dork
8/19/08 8:42 p.m.
Keith wrote: . What's under the screaming chicken?

A screaming Mr Chicken?

jgp1843
jgp1843 HalfDork
8/19/08 9:27 p.m.

So will it be out at the track on Saturday? Please?

thewrongguy
thewrongguy New Reader
8/20/08 6:45 a.m.

I sent and email of the fire chicken to my brother, he sent me back this link

Keith
8/20/08 9:50 a.m.

That video is full of awesome. I'm going to burn that song to a CD and break the CD player so the car plays it constantly.

We'll try to have it at the track on Saturday. We're having the ECU checked out - it was reflashed (something to do with the rear O2 sensors being deleted I think) and we suspect the problem lies there.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
8/20/08 3:40 p.m.

I LOVE the vinyl. That is amazing work. Sweet car, I wish it were in my garage!

mainly because I have nothing in my garage at the moment.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x1jcS0AgYhKQp4Xd3aVQ64O2it334t2K98Xhgpa5S1kf3YjCTQI7FNIgujfs7z3e