Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/11/18 6:29 a.m.

...you were a kid, and didn't have your driver's license yet? If you would like me, you would spend time sitting in the car behind the wheel, just imagining that you could go somewhere

Well, I'm 62 years old and I finally get to relive that. I bought a Miata on Thursday, my first one.

It's not registered yet!

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
2/11/18 6:54 a.m.

I’m jealous! I still need somewhat “responsible” transportation at the moment.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
2/11/18 7:53 a.m.

Welcome to the Miata family!  You're going to love it.  laugh

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 HalfDork
2/11/18 8:23 a.m.

Congrats.  I've had one since 1990, and expect I always will.  Enjoy it.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/18 8:37 a.m.

I drove my first car up and down the driveway sometimes, because I had a car about six months before I had a driver's license.

At least I had a 200 foot long driveway.

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/11/18 9:01 a.m.

My first car was a 1962 VW bug.  Bought it before I got my license.  Fixed it up.  Snuck it out without my Parents knowledge.  Rolled it 3 1/2 times.  Got my license in the mail the next day.  No car to drive.  I now drive a Volvo, as my fun car, 48 years later.   Evolution?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/11/18 10:16 a.m.

Congrats on the Miata!

At the peak of impatience, I 37-point-turned the family Falcon wagon around in place in the carport.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
2/11/18 10:18 a.m.

We relived The Dukes of Hazard in mom's Hornet.  It kept us occupied for hours!

Floating Doc
2/11/18 10:28 a.m.

Well, when I do get to drive it, at least I won't have to sneak the keys out of the house. 

Not that I ever did that.wink

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
2/11/18 11:48 a.m.

Heck I did that with my dads late model in the yard lol

JimS
JimS New Reader
2/11/18 11:56 a.m.

Before I was old enough to even think about my license I used to drive my sister's 50 Ford back and forth in the yard beside our house. Once got back onto the hill to the sidewalk and every time I tried to let out clutch and drive up hill I went farther back. Had to yell to her in the house to come help me. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
2/11/18 12:15 p.m.

I was 16 with no license and never drove a car before let alone a manual. But like I said I was 16 and had a girlfriend that lived 20 min away and my brother used to leave his car when he’d carpool to work.

The car was not only a manual but also had a terrible stalling issue whenever you depressed the clutch.

I learned a lot that summer.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
2/11/18 12:16 p.m.

On December 14, 2017 I let my daughter drive our Trailblazer around our neighborhood for about 10 minutes.   She turned 15 the next day. This was so when is an old codger she can tell her kids she drove a car when she was 14 years old. 

Now she asks all the time!  She is hooked.  

outasite
outasite HalfDork
2/11/18 12:48 p.m.

As a kid we used to use the 1928 Model A sedan parked on the hill as a toy.  Drove many miles in my mind before Dad told me to get it running if I wanted to learn to drive. I think I was 12-13 at the time. Took my brother and me almost a month before it was running and we were driving in the fields or going a short distance on the gravel.

In reply to Dirtydog :

I thought they were un-rollable!!! And they were supposed float...

Dirtydog
Dirtydog GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/11/18 2:04 p.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacingCampbellCougarSeed :

Oh, believe me they can roll..  Never attempted the float test, but the sliding sideways test was a fail.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
2/11/18 2:55 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

...you were a kid, and didn't have your driver's license yet? If you would like me, you would spend time sitting in the car behind the wheel, just imagining that you could go somewhere.

I did that when I was 6.  Mom's '53 Monterey... had a starter button so it made rrrrrrr sounds too!

Dad couldn't understand why the battery was always dead.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
2/11/18 4:42 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

...you were a kid, and didn't have your driver's license yet? If you would like me, you would spend time sitting in the car behind the wheel, just imagining that you could go somewhere

Well, I'm 62 years old and I finally get to relive that. I bought a Miata on Thursday, my first one.

It's not registered yet!

Let's hope that your appeal goes through and you get your license back!

Floating Doc
2/11/18 6:34 p.m.
kb58 said:
Floating Doc said:

It's not registered yet!

Let's hope that your appeal goes through and you get your license back!

Uh oh, is that foreshadowing?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
14d9Dd2dlndK5UJuUHTjUvQBOV3FeFOxBm9S4i7Q94VB2GiQKTi6OKO17PuJclzT