Woody SuperDork
March 21, 2010 10:25 p.m.

Has anybody had success removing deep scratches from a windshield? My Jeep has three bad ones where the driver's side wiper blade came off. I'd prefer to repair it, rather than replace the glass, though I imagine that a Jeep windshield is probably not too hard to replace.

I know that Eastwood sells a kit for deep scratches, but it's pretty pricey and includes a D/A sander.

ddavidv SuperDork
March 22, 2010 5:28 a.m.

I've dealt with dozens of scratched glass claims. The scratches NEVER come out. Anything your fingernail can catch on is permanent. Buy a new glass. Your comp insurance may actually pay for it.

Woody SuperDork
March 22, 2010 6:19 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Buy a new glass. Your comp insurance may actually pay for it.

Not on an unregistered, uninsured Jeep they won't.

Soma007
Soma007 New Reader
March 22, 2010 7:24 a.m.

Yep, glass is hard stuff and polishing deep scratches out of it is not going to happen.

Some idiot at a local body shop put a bunch of very fine scratches in the corner of my nearly new windshield on my E46. After denying they were responsible they sent me to a glass shop where they tried their best to buff them out. End result? It looked exactly the same.

Jason

redzcstandardhatch
March 22, 2010 7:28 a.m.

i own a glass shop. i have a 2000$ tool that polishes glass.

it can remove basically any scratch.

its a PAIN to buff windshields though, i wont do it (unless i own the car)

zomby woof HalfDork
March 22, 2010 7:35 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: I've dealt with dozens of scratched glass claims. The scratches NEVER come out. Anything your fingernail can catch on is permanent. Buy a new glass. Your comp insurance may actually pay for it.

What if your fingernail doesn't catch on it, but you can see it?

My son had my truck for a few days, the passenger side wiper rubber ripped on the top, and he didn't notice. You can't see the scratch until it is clean.

mattmacklind SuperDork
March 22, 2010 9:09 a.m.

New windshields, installed, are pretty cheap on non-vintage or speacialty cars. They will even come to your house. Its worth the expense for not having the aggravation and wasting man hours on just the possibility of buffing out a scratch, plus investment in any equipment or materials. My Ramcharger needs a windshield. Found one for $100 used, then I checked on new and installed glass-$150. Guess which way I'm going.

Woody SuperDork
March 22, 2010 10:48 a.m.
redzcstandardhatch wrote: i own a glass shop. i have a 2000$ tool that polishes glass. it can remove basically any scratch. its a PAIN to buff windshields though, i wont do it (unless i own the car)

There's the kind of insight that I was looking for. Thanks. I'm going to swap it out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

New Generation Miata Unveiling

17 hours ago in News

Are you as excited as we are? We'll be there in person, sharing it with you.

Incredible Ride in a Red Bull Global Rallycross Car

1 day ago in News

We caught a ride with one of the pro rallycross drivers for a couple hot haps. Watch the onboard video.

Red Bull Global Rallycross Hits Daytona

1 day ago in News

Professional rallycross is coming to our hometown this weekend. Come check it out.

Want to Learn Metalshaping From a Pro?

1 day ago in News

Master metalshaper, Ron Covell to host a fabrication workshop. Register here.

Like Grassroots Motorsports, but Want More Classic Content?

1 day ago in News

Get a Subscription to Classic Motorsports at half price in August.

Podcast Episode 33: Getting ready for Solo Nats with Andy Hollis

1 week ago in Articles

Get your autocross effort in gear for Solo Nationals with advice from Andy Hollis.

Great Turnout at Our Monterey Welcome Party

1 week ago in News

Check out some of the hardware on display at our Monterey welcome party yesterday.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More