Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/21/10 10:25 p.m.

Has anybody had success removing deep scratches from a windshield? My Jeep has three bad ones where the driver's side wiper blade came off. I'd prefer to repair it, rather than replace the glass, though I imagine that a Jeep windshield is probably not too hard to replace.

I know that Eastwood sells a kit for deep scratches, but it's pretty pricey and includes a D/A sander.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/22/10 5:28 a.m.

I've dealt with dozens of scratched glass claims. The scratches NEVER come out. Anything your fingernail can catch on is permanent. Buy a new glass. Your comp insurance may actually pay for it.

Woody
3/22/10 6:19 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: Buy a new glass. Your comp insurance may actually pay for it.

Not on an unregistered, uninsured Jeep they won't.

Soma007
Soma007 New Reader
3/22/10 7:24 a.m.

Yep, glass is hard stuff and polishing deep scratches out of it is not going to happen.

Some idiot at a local body shop put a bunch of very fine scratches in the corner of my nearly new windshield on my E46. After denying they were responsible they sent me to a glass shop where they tried their best to buff them out. End result? It looked exactly the same.

Jason

redzcstandardhatch
redzcstandardhatch Reader
3/22/10 7:28 a.m.

i own a glass shop. i have a 2000$ tool that polishes glass.

it can remove basically any scratch.

its a PAIN to buff windshields though, i wont do it (unless i own the car)

zomby woof
zomby woof HalfDork
3/22/10 7:35 a.m.
ddavidv wrote: I've dealt with dozens of scratched glass claims. The scratches NEVER come out. Anything your fingernail can catch on is permanent. Buy a new glass. Your comp insurance may actually pay for it.

What if your fingernail doesn't catch on it, but you can see it?

My son had my truck for a few days, the passenger side wiper rubber ripped on the top, and he didn't notice. You can't see the scratch until it is clean.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
3/22/10 9:09 a.m.

New windshields, installed, are pretty cheap on non-vintage or speacialty cars. They will even come to your house. Its worth the expense for not having the aggravation and wasting man hours on just the possibility of buffing out a scratch, plus investment in any equipment or materials. My Ramcharger needs a windshield. Found one for $100 used, then I checked on new and installed glass-$150. Guess which way I'm going.

Woody
3/22/10 10:48 a.m.
redzcstandardhatch wrote: i own a glass shop. i have a 2000$ tool that polishes glass. it can remove basically any scratch. its a PAIN to buff windshields though, i wont do it (unless i own the car)

There's the kind of insight that I was looking for. Thanks. I'm going to swap it out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xiWSJyXKyjUbbCEcYFFdWf2TRxM7a3rNz7tRcqjJG55pSpfWCpLG8VJOvQBMRWSY