Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/15/17 9:46 p.m.

Anyone know of a product that I can use to remove 3M spray adhesive from a plastic motorcycle seat pan without harming the plastic?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
7/15/17 10:08 p.m.

Goo gone has worked for removing anything like that I've ever needed yo, amd it smells like oranges.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/17 8:09 a.m.

Penetrating oil makes Goo Gone look like water. The aromatics loosen up the glue like Goo Gone does, and the oil component keeps it from re-sticking. I used some Kimball-Midwest penetrating oil and a plastic scraper to take the adhesive off of a 3' section of body side moulding last week, took only ten minutes.

It's a two step process, you use the penetrating oil to remove the adhesive and then you use something else to remove the oil.

Two_Tools_In_a_Tent
Two_Tools_In_a_Tent New Reader
7/16/17 1:13 p.m.

Benzine.

Lighter fluid if you will.

Works great on removing paint, glue, adhesives, whatever on styrene plastic without doing any harm. Not sure about soft plastics like ABS and such. Probably try a small spot that's not immediately in plain view to test it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
7/16/17 4:39 p.m.

3M trim adhesive cleaner. link It should be available at most any auto parts store.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
7/16/17 5:54 p.m.

Would any of these work on something like hardened krazy glue on a dash pad? I've tried goof off and goo gone already. The glue is from an old radar detector mount. Not sure the adhesive is actually krazy glue but it's very similar.

imgon
imgon Reader
7/16/17 6:13 p.m.

In reply to conesare2seconds:

For crazy glue nail polish remover will get rid of the glue, but.... it may damage the dash so maybe try on an area out of view to see what it does to the dash material first.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fPu6iJeQn8PsLVwla5E76ep36JiPc075YuqlWlschZuuFqx1TAB7x7yKpr0u62me