Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/6/18 4:39 p.m.

I'm getting a code on our 2010 odyssey for a bad o2 sensor, bank 2 sensor 1.

Queued up the part at rockauto and it is giving a message that manufacturers recommend replacing o2 sensors in pairs, as having one sensor slower than the other could cause idle and running problems as well as damage the cat.

Is there truth in this? or is this some sort of mumbo jumbo to get me to buy an extra sensor? at $65 I was getting ready to just do both but then I started to wonder...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
11/6/18 5:04 p.m.

Damage isn’t going to happen. The two sides will be out of sync, but there’s no harm in that. 

But given the effort of one, doing both at the same time isn’t a bad thing to do. 

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
11/6/18 6:15 p.m.

I've done it both ways and really haven't noticed anything different about how the engine ran.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
11/7/18 8:35 a.m.

I usually just do them both.  I figure if one is out, the other may not be far behind.  And it really isn't much more effort/cost to just do them both while you are in there.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/7/18 12:45 p.m.

If one is going bad, the other is probably not far behind, better swap in a high flow cat, just to be on the safe side.  

This is what I am going to tell the wife, what do you guys think?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/7/18 7:44 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

As long as you get the polished stainless header to go with the high flow cat. You know, for less corrosion. Just to be safe.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UwPtfIm5RgqjdGsemBOGeN4V3ygrfSf6bBRyAUHrcNdpV0NQNg1GTutmyjYyBKSG