NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
3/11/09 9:26 a.m.

Just bought some new shoes for the MG. Falken Azenis from Vulcan in PA and while the price and service were great, not the wife wants wheels and tires for her car! Vulcan does not sell rims. I have used Edge racing in the past since it was an advertiser in the Mag.

Since Edge is gone, who is next on the list as a grassroots priced supplier of wheel -tire packages?

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/11/09 9:28 a.m.

I used Edge for two sets of 4 Falkens last year so I was sad to see them go.

I think right now the closest to Edge is Discount Tire Direct. They sell wheels and tires including Konig's and Falkens. My only beef with them is their search by make and model is useless, just search by rim size/bolt pattern and tire size you want.

iceracer
iceracer Reader
3/11/09 9:29 a.m.

The Tire Rack

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/11/09 9:40 a.m.

For one stop shopping, the Tire Rack is probably your best choice. If you don't mind sourcing your wheels and tires from different companies, there are several choices that advertise in GRM, including Vulcan Tire Sales.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/11/09 10:58 a.m.

Tire Rack doesn't have Falkens and refuses to sell wheels without knowing what they are going on. That makes it ridiculously hard to get stuff for cars with brake swap, odd bolt patterns, or different back spacing for flares.

Vulcan does not sell wheels.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
3/11/09 11:18 a.m.

I would second the TireRack and Discount Tire Direct recommendations. Also there is a company in South FL that carries some rims that Edge used to carry as well as some more uncommon tire manufacturers. They are probably where I will get my XXR wheels from.

www.wheelfire.com

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
3/11/09 11:30 a.m.
P71 wrote: Tire Rack refuses to sell wheels without knowing what they are going on.

This is not true.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
3/11/09 11:43 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
P71 wrote: Tire Rack refuses to sell wheels without knowing what they are going on.
This is not true.

I'm with you, but they DO make it ridiculously hard to actually find the wheels they want if for some reason they don't think they'll fit.

Like, to the point that i've had to send three emails following up with one of their customer service people that intially tried to help me, wish no response. Makes me think one of two things:

1) They don't care.

2) Even THEY can't figure out how to sort through their inventory.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/11/09 11:51 a.m.

or 3), they're trying to protect you from yourself.

The majority of customers don't know as much about oddball wheels and tires as we do. It's easier to make really really sure that the customer really does want what they're asking for.

I know that with "normal" performance cars, they'll figure out just what can fit under there. When the 2006 Miata came out, for example, they did a bunch of test fitting. The trick is that you have to talk to someone who knows this stuff, and the front-line CSRs might not be that someone.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
3/11/09 12:05 p.m.
Keith wrote: or 3), they're trying to protect you from yourself. The majority of customers don't know as much about oddball wheels and tires as we do. It's easier to make really really sure that the customer really does want what they're asking for. I know that with "normal" performance cars, they'll figure out just what can fit under there. When the 2006 Miata came out, for example, they did a bunch of test fitting. The trick is that you have to talk to someone who knows this stuff, and the front-line CSRs might not be that someone.

I agree with that as well.... and i'm not trying to say i'm the most expert of people when it comes to fitment. But i KNOW what i can make fit on the Celica, and i'm trying to give them some business.

This is the reply i got back from my initial inquiry: Notice that in it, he does make the point about "the mass public," which would imply to most people that he no longer considers me a "part of the mass public" as a result of my inquiry.

Ben, We do not list the ability to search for wheels by bolt pattern and offset. There are too many variables, and not enough of the mass public that truly understand what they are doing with those measurements. I unfortunately do not have a great method of searching for this either. What kind of vehicle is it going on? Maybe I can do some separate research for you. -Gus

And i haven't heard anything since. I'm not REAL mad about it, just a little annoyed because this was a month ago, and i'd like to buy from them, since i have the ability to take a short road trip and just pick up my mounted wheels and tires from them, not get hit with shipping charges, and not have to worry about packages getting lost.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
3/11/09 12:08 p.m.

I'll see if Woody can chime in.

Per

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 Dork
3/11/09 12:29 p.m.

I had this discussion locally just the other day.

To buy wheels from tire rack, simply research what vehicle the wheel you want should fit "normally".

For example, when I need new 17x10s for the 240, which has a 5-lug conversion, Z32 brakes and massive cutout flares, I order wheels for the rear of a 2005 350z base model.

Takes marginally more effort up front on your part, but saves MASSIVE hassles when it comes time to actually purchase.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/11/09 1:04 p.m.

I remember when i bought new tyres for my 318ti.. I got a call from one of their sales reps that afternoon. It evidently popped a flag that I wanted 235/45/17s on a 318ti.. I had to assure him I was running M3 rims and that they would fit beneath the fenders

skruffy
skruffy Dork
3/11/09 1:10 p.m.

If you call tire rack and ask to speak to someone about custom fit wheels and they'll help you out. Emailing a CSR is probably the most difficult way to do anything with them. Back when I worked on cars for a living, we ordered numerous odd fitment wheels from tire rack and never had a problem after we explained the situation to someone.

I used to talk to Denny back in the day. Don't know if he still works there.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/11/09 3:27 p.m.

I deal with Joe - he's a Spec Miata racer who really knows his stuff. But I think he's wholesale only. Flyin' Miata is a Tire Rack retailer, so if you need something weird for your Miata just call

They've saved me at least once when I ordered some replacement tires for my old Cadillac and simply ordered what had been on the car when I got it. I got a phone call asking what kind of car they were for, and then a recommendation to run a different size that was more correct and suited for the high load.

NOHOME
NOHOME New Reader
3/11/09 3:29 p.m.

Thanks one and all. The beauty of Edge racing was that they had package deals at a great price. It was a low hassle way to buy stuff for someone like me who does not want to agonize over what shade of black the rim is. One call, one package and done.

Shopping on tire rack is torture because of the minute differences between wheels and deals. Plus they do not sell Azenis so I have no reason to go there in the first place.

Vulcan was awesome to deal with and the tires were at the door (In Canada) in two days. Wish they sold rims.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Reader
3/11/09 9:27 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: I'll see if Woody can chime in. Per

Does Woody know those guys? I just found a set of new VW "Snowflake" wheels for my A2 Golf project (I'm the original owner, and going for the OEM plus look). I'm another one looking for 14" performance tires. My car came with the "Teardrops", they're 14x6 (just like the snowflakes), but when I search by "car" on Tirerack.com (1992 VW GTI 8v), their website lists my stock size as 195/50-15.

I like Tire Rack, and I understand that they're trying to avoid lawsuits by focusing upon the whole "which car" thing...but AFAICT, this information for my particular car is incorrect.

Not angry or anything, I'm just trying to help.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
3/12/09 5:45 a.m.

Why oh why does Tire Rack not carry Toyos? I have to run these on my Spec E30 and shopping for them is a PITA.

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
3/12/09 6:21 a.m.

Yup, I started a thread about this last year after numerous phone calls got me nowhere. I was looking to buy wheels for the E30, and of course they were saying only 17 x 7 and 215/40s.

I've got 17 x 8s now, and 235/40s are about to go on.

I have a REALLY HARD time believing that they can't do a simple search by bolt patter/wheel size.

Geeez, make click a waiver agreeing that I know what I'm doing. It's really, really frustrating.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ymGgd3VLhlSpX0NtdRtlxoIuF4TBTGGJ25kEv8HzueQqdkznuhWmavSxuqTfuhLG