Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/17/18 8:12 p.m.

I'm currently replacing the original suspension on the Volvo after 120K with Koni FSD's and replacing bits as needed.  When i took the old struts out the first strut top came out and  I rotated it in my hands.  The bearing in the top felt perfect.  Almost no resistance and totally smooth unlike the lump-lump-lump you feel with worn bearings in the race.  But then the second one just falls apart as it was being removed.  OK, whole lot in the bin I'll get two more. 

I ordered MONROE parts as they seemed a decent price / quality ratio.  Well they just got here and I opened the box (yeah, I still feel like a kid on my Birthday when I open toys, I mean car parts)  While smooth, they have a lot lot more friction.  Not rough, just resistance.  I wasn't surprised at more friction, but this seems a lot.  Am I paranoid, delusional or am I right to consider returning them? 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/17/18 9:23 p.m.

Well, I haven't done strut tops much, but compared to the friction of the tire on the ground I don't think you will notice any extra at the top.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/17/18 10:22 p.m.

Maybe because the new ones aren't warn out?

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 1:37 a.m.

I suspect that once you get weight on them, things will change a bit as they are likely to be a little tight without the weight of the car on them.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
10/18/18 6:32 a.m.

So I think I'm hearing keep em here?

Cheers

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 9:53 a.m.

Yeah in my experience those bearings normally don't move easily by hand. I'd suspect the one that was moving freely has something wrong with it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/18 10:23 a.m.
Appleseed said:

Maybe because the new ones aren't warn out?

Yup. Good bearings will have some drag, especially if they're meant to be loaded axially. Free spinning is done.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mFh4VImxuAoMDkZzHhQgB3tm05WWLyVSI3eYfVsw3CVBh0o1AQmKpJDnEQjegaiU