procainestart
procainestart HalfDork
5/29/08 1:10 p.m.

Can wheel studs be replaced without a press? My cars don't have studs but a friend asked for help replacing one of his, and I don't want to commit if I need a press.

Thanks...

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
5/29/08 1:15 p.m.

I've done 'em on a chevy pickup with a hammer. depends on the car idunno.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/29/08 1:19 p.m.

I replaced one on a '91 Mercury capri years ago.

I hammered out the broken stud with a rubber mallet. I then hammered in the new one with the same mallet.

It worked for the life of the car.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/29/08 2:16 p.m.

You should brace the area behind the hub face with some wood if you plan to hammer it out.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/29/08 2:50 p.m.

I just did 10 of them on the wifes car.. One shot with a hammer should pop the old one out. I put the new ones in by pushing it in the hole, slipping on a couple washers, putting a lugnut on backwards, and cranking down on the nut to pull the stud thru. If you are doing it by hand with a 1/2 inch ratchet, by the third one you will be tired

GlennS
GlennS Reader
5/29/08 3:22 p.m.

its a car repair you can use a sledge hammer on.:twisted: I swing a hammer like a little girl so i prefer a putter swing from the sledge. Oh and yeah. Stack up a bunch of washers on the stud like wally said. Use a long pipe for mechanical advantage on your wrench so you dont get tired while drawing them through.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
5/29/08 3:53 p.m.

I used a hammer and pressed them in by torquing down a lugnut.

SupraWes
SupraWes New Reader
5/29/08 4:20 p.m.

Same here hammer out and torque on with a lug nut and a few washers. I put some moly grease on the washers and it makes it go even easier.

porksboy
porksboy HalfDork
5/29/08 7:32 p.m.

The local NTB stripped one of my studs on the Ranger a few years back. They tried to blame the last guy that worked on it last but he didnt do it.:evil: (it was me) Any who they were saying that they would have to pull the hub, take it to a machine shop and press it out. I said "gimme a hammer and a stack of 3/4 inch washers and get the hell out of my way". The manager didnt it like when the kid gave me what I asked for but he did get over it and asked me if I wanted a job. I told him he couldnt afford me. :nice:

oldopelguy
oldopelguy HalfDork
5/29/08 9:51 p.m.

Local Sears broke off 5 of the 8 lugs on one wheel of my Dodge before finally catching on that the lugs were left-hand threads just like I told them and was printed on the work order. They didn't tell me about it hoping I would just drive away and not notice.

I gave them the option of 5 new left-hand studs (no longer in production) installed by them or 16 new right-hand studs and nuts and I'd install them myself. The new ones went in in the parking lot with a couple washers.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
os9SCLdOcnl0brwztEn2aKxex0PEyv8UbQkg1d69IMTK5xNlPtWQKpf0sdFHK012