scardeal
scardeal Reader
5/13/10 4:57 p.m.

A few questions (car is BMW e36 3 series):

1. About the most complicated work I've done myself on a car has been brake work: changing rotors, pads and replacing brake fluid. Does swapping in a new radiator, hoses, thermostat housing and water pump sound like it'll likely stump me?

2. Does it sound like I'm missing anything necessary in the coolant system? I want to effectively replace the whole shebang.

3. clutch fan
  4. fluid
  5. hoses, upper and lower
  6. radiator
  7. water pump
  8. thermostat housing
  9. thermostat

10. Any tips for flushing the old crud out of the block/heater core?

11. Opinions on the BimmerWorld kit?

PS - I do know about the Pelican Parts walkthrough, btw.

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
5/13/10 5:02 p.m.

There's also a bypass hose I would replace and the reservoir and coolant level sensor. Its all tied together in one mess and you want to change it all at once because its a pain.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
5/13/10 5:43 p.m.

Just did it all on the E46, definitely include the sensors, my coolant level sensor broke during the dismantle and the fan sensor O ring was bad

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/13/10 8:13 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/e36-cooling-system-overhaul-notes/13016/page1/

One thing I'd add is the belts (A/C and water pump). And I regret not replacing the overflow reservoir when I did everything else...

cliff95
cliff95 New Reader
5/13/10 8:25 p.m.

FWIW: just replacing the water pump on the e46 isn't a good idea - the overflow reservoir split the next workday when I did it that way.

I agree it's best to replace everything at once (including the heater core hoses - they don't look to be a fun replacement at the side of the road). Best thing is they are inexpensive when ordered online.

motomoron
motomoron Reader
5/13/10 10:06 p.m.

If you're getting aggro with the car it may be worth considering a Stewart water pump.

When I was pushing my '36 M3 over the cliff toward being a track car I replaced the whole mess w/:

• Stewart WP

• Zionsville AL race radiator w/ AL o'flow tank

• AL shroud + 16 SPAL 2 speed fan + 2 relay kits

• AL t'stat housing

• All hoses

• T'stat

• Fresh BMW coolant-distilled water-Redline Water Wetter

The temp gauge sits a tick below centered in the paddock after 30 minute track sessions at Summit Point and VIR in August.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YYait0St8w8k6XeMViKhK52b8LUU8QnkHIiNJVINIFrHM77MuMsR4tjCOUxMa6Fh