Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 New Reader
4/3/09 11:18 a.m.

the bushing connecting the rear upper control arm on my '92 civic is totally shot allowing way too much play in the wheel. Its failed tech at an auto-x once already. How difficult is replacing the bushing? Is it a simple matter of jacking the car up, unbolting the UCA and pressing in a new bushing, or do i have to take apart more than that? Also do I absolutely need a press specific to pressing in bushings, or can i make/use some other tools to do this myself?

914Driver
914Driver Dork
4/3/09 11:56 a.m.

It looks like you take the bolt out, remove the old one and just press in the new one. I'm assuming it goes in easy enough that a smaller diameter bolt with big washers will draw it in.

I have access to a Gov't website with car repair on it. Here's a link but it may not let you in.

http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/framerq.asp

Dan

EDIT:

Hell it wouldn't let ME back in.

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
4/3/09 11:58 a.m.

On the show Wheeler Dealers they used a long bolt with washers on the ends run through the bushing, then you tighten the nut onto the bolt and it pushes the bushing in, if it is just the bare rubber bushing use dish soap as a lubricant to assist the procedure.

I have a 12 ton press, so that's what i would use lol.

emodspitfire
emodspitfire New Reader
4/3/09 12:26 p.m.

James,

That's a strange part to wear out. Is the car REALLY high mileage? Was it dinged in that area?

In any case, it might be easier to go to your friendly local salvage yard and get the same Control arm for about $10...

Good Luck,

Rog

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
4/3/09 12:31 p.m.
emodspitfire wrote: James, That's a strange part to wear out. Is the car REALLY high mileage? Was it dinged in that area? In any case, it might be easier to go to your friendly local salvage yard and get the same Control arm for about $10... Good Luck, Rog

Meh. It's 17 years old with over 140k miles, i'm not too surprised, personally, especially depending on how it's driven.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
4/3/09 12:37 p.m.

Since you're in there, why not replace all of them with poly or teflon?

'nother 10 minute job.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
4/3/09 2:11 p.m.

I'm replacing all the miatas bushings. It's not a ten minute job though.., :(

Joey

Jamesc2123
Jamesc2123 New Reader
4/3/09 2:26 p.m.
emodspitfire wrote: James, That's a strange part to wear out. Is the car REALLY high mileage? Was it dinged in that area? In any case, it might be easier to go to your friendly local salvage yard and get the same Control arm for about $10... Good Luck, Rog

Way too much abuse from potholes, salt, and autocross i guess. Junkyard might not be a bad idea assuming i can find one in decent shape. It would probably be about as much time and a lot less hassle than trying to press in a bushing without proper tools.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/09 2:35 p.m.
914Driver wrote: Since you're in there, why not replace all of them with poly or teflon? 'nother 10 minute job.

Poly bushings suck. I would never do it again. Sloppy. Delrin or stock.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
4/3/09 2:39 p.m.

I did them on my EF without a Press without too much issue. Is it just the uppers that are shot?

I burned out the old ones, then had to use a saws all to cut out the steel retainer sleeves.

New ones (poly) pushed in easy with some grease and a vice.

don't 1/2 ass it , do em all.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
4/3/09 3:57 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: I did them on my EF without a Press without too much issue. New ones (poly) pushed in easy with some grease and a vice. don't 1/2 ass it , do em all.

+1. Poly totally wakes up a high mileage EF/EG chassis, especially if you run tires anywhere close to sticky

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PyaSswYGSgs5WuDeQkcuz1LOvM4f1oc1JOH5LWPzMW5uIr7S9VLUADeRVZsXi6JI