Jerry
Jerry Dork
5/28/14 3:11 p.m.

I just canceled my order from 500Madness for their HID system for the Abarth. Already backordered two weeks and they say another 4-6 weeks to go.

A few guys on the 500 forums are using VVME lights, around $50 if I remember, but they aren't the real 9012 size needed. I think they're 9006 or something & they drilled a hole in the cap for the bulb.

I've heard of Retrofit Source & they have a kit for the 9012 bulb for $150. I believe I've heard a few people mention them elsewhere.

Any opinions one way or the other?

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
5/29/14 2:50 a.m.

I've used the Retrofit Source for several more-involved projects, and I have nothing but good things to say about those guys and their products. Also, if you go to their shop, you will most likely get a tour. There's a lot more going on in that shop than you can tell from their website; it's pretty cool!

Jerry
Jerry Dork
5/29/14 7:00 a.m.

RFS is 9012: Morimoto Elite HID System. $150

VVME is Digital Slim 9006(HB4) HID Light Conversion Kit $30

I know you usually get what you pay for...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
5/29/14 7:24 a.m.
Jerry wrote: I just canceled my order from 500Madness for their HID system for the Abarth. Already backordered two weeks and they say another 4-6 weeks to go. A few guys on the 500 forums are using VVME lights, around $50 if I remember, but they aren't the real 9012 size needed. I think they're 9006 or something & they drilled a hole in the cap for the bulb. I've heard of Retrofit Source & they have a kit for the 9012 bulb for $150. I believe I've heard a few people mention them elsewhere. Any opinions one way or the other?

Is that trying to stick a HID bulb in a halogen reflector? If so, I'd avoid it and wait for a proper HID conversion. HID bulbs in halogen lamp assemblies tend to give a screwed up beam pattern that's halfway between high and low beams.

Jerry
Jerry Dork
5/29/14 8:06 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

Being in a projector housing, I figured I was safe? Not a big silver box that blasts light everywhere (uh, like I did in the xB).

I was mainly looking for anyone that said "I've had VVME's for 2 years with no issues". $30 seems like disposable cash for HID headlights. If they were to crap out, learn my lesson and go with RFS.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
5/29/14 9:24 a.m.

The capsule still has a different light pattern - whether it's using a projector or reflector housing to focus the beam pattern, the optics still will be a bit off if you change the bulb to a different design.

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo HalfDork
5/29/14 12:58 p.m.

I put VVMEs in my buddy's 07ish Camry (projector halogen housing) and his fogs as well, they've held up fine. Has to be over 2 years now... Used an ebay harness and that I had to resolder the positive battery cable connector after it broke but that's not a VVME issue. I believe they have a lifetime warranty but that's going to China, cheaper to just buy another.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
5/29/14 3:13 p.m.

Retrofit source is good stuff. I've had their moromoto mini conversion (projectors, bulbs, and OEM Philips ballasts) on the WRX for 4 years now. No failure, no issues, great light, great cutoff.

I would suggest NOT using the stock halogen projectors for HIDs as they will not give you a sharp bean and will creat a lot of glare. Get the retrofit source bi-xenon setup. It's great, and not terribly expensive.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SyoFRQo4o7huu4JkOqiPWRFUI7gPL1GgDIcpzUlCmJRZ4tn9eTWMsTt0sdJ930nE