GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/19 7:39 a.m.

I'm pinching pennies real hard since I'm out of work and I'm considering reusing a wheel stud that was pressed out in the past to replace this one that broke. This issue has been discussed very little online, I saw one mechanic recommend against reusing studs, while another said it was fine once the stud is in good condition, but that guy also recommended the hammer out+pull in method of stud changing rather than using a press so...

What do you guys think?

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
10/8/19 7:56 a.m.

I've done it in the past, with no ill effects, but I'll spring for new ones time  and finances permitting.

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
10/8/19 8:13 a.m.

Every time you change your wheel you are reusing a stud.

Either the knurl holds or it doesn't, and there's nothing wrong with the hammer/pull method if you're not a butcher.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/8/19 3:20 p.m.

Thanks guys, I'd be willing to try reusing a stud now, but it looks like this thread is going to end in a somewhat disappointing way: I got a good deal on some extended studs from one of the high-end race shops here, they each cost just a little more than a Land Cruiser stud from the dealership. They're a bit longer but also have a bit more shoulder, but I think my days of using steelie spares on this car are coming to an end anyway. Here you can see one with a Land Cruiser stud on the left and a Corolla stud on the right:

Don't know what brand they are but they were brought in for use on a race car, they have an "E" stamped into the head.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
41EceJtVd2YMA7iZZRUuOeqtr7EImcgll9Nyq0W2NUJDi1z7mUwCy0YkResh8yib