1 2 3 ... 7
mightymike
mightymike Reader
12/19/11 7:37 a.m.

Long time reader (old Auto X subscriber-I guess that just makes me old...) and lurker.

I'd like to find my old race car, a 1977 Ford Capri that I autocrossed and briefly raced in the southeast with the SCCA/SARRC in Improved Touring-A. I sold the car in the early 90's and I believe the buyer was from Virginia.

I built the car from a street car and had a lot of fun with it along the way.

I will give a years subscription to Grassroots Motorsports to anyone who locates the car.

Merry Christmas!

Mike

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/19/11 8:00 a.m.

If you have the VIN, call the DMV, they may be able to help.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
12/19/11 8:22 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

We looked and could not find the old registration, but I need to look a little harder. Thanks for the reminder.

Does anyone know if the SCCA keeps records like that? It had a current logbook when I sold it.

jimbbski
jimbbski Reader
12/19/11 4:31 p.m.

You should also post a request here: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/capri-list/

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
12/19/11 5:26 p.m.

I have a feeling Per is going to be posting this in 10 years

oldsaw
oldsaw UltimaDork
12/19/11 5:31 p.m.

In reply to mightymike:

Mike, try posting your search request over here: http://www.roadraceautox.com/

Many members are IT racers from all over the eastern seaboard and have long memories. Oh, and when asked about cupcakes and skittles, the answer is "BOTH".

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
12/19/11 6:47 p.m.

I just found that web site... love it .... got lucky when I was asked that question ( hadn't read the stickies) I answered either / both followed with the beer mug emoticon ... was told I could stay

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
12/19/11 7:30 p.m.

Thanks for all of the suggestions...posting on the other forums now. I found another pic as well:

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/19/11 7:47 p.m.

Awesome. Hope you find it, and quit lurking. You would fit right in around here.

mightymike
mightymike Reader
12/19/11 8:52 p.m.

It sure is bringing back some good memories...Our oldest son was in a car seat when we went to Daytona with the Capri for a drivers school (his brother wasn't born yet) and now he graduates from college this year. My wife has already warned his fiancé about this "car guy"' disease that seems to run in the family!

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/19/11 9:07 p.m.

Try www.improvedtouring.com.

Uncoiled
Uncoiled New Reader
12/19/11 10:27 p.m.

Now his oldest son his following his post on the forums to see if he can see his old race car in person...

jimbbski
jimbbski HalfDork
12/19/11 11:40 p.m.

I raced a 1980 Ford Fiesta in ITC from 1988-1995. I sold it to a young racer in NY state, he raced it in SCCA regionals for a few years and then put it up for sale. I knew this as I saw the ad in "Sports Car" about 10 years ago. Since then every once in a while I would wonder what happened to the car or if it still exsisted? I still like the original Fiestas and really wanted to buy one offered here earlier this year but just didn't have the room for it.

Last Labor Day weekend I attended the "Capri Swarm" near Columbus, OH, it's one of two national get togethers for Capri owners.There was a meet-n-greet at the the host hotel Friday evening which I attended. After catching up on things with some longtime friends I sat down next to a guy & his son. We talked for a bit about Capris etc. We found out that we both road race. When I stated that I had started in a Fiesta after autoxing Capris for years he told me that he races a Fiesta! To make a long story a bit shorter this guy owns my old race Fiesta. It went from an ITC cat to Prod. to GT4 to now GTLite! Other then the body shell not much is left of it but it is the car that I got started racing in. Weird!

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
12/28/11 11:59 a.m.

Hey everyone-It looks like I found my old race car!

Thanks to Steve Rose on the Auto X/Road Race forum who gave me a contact number for the current owner who bought the car from me twenty years ago. I've left him a message and can't wait to hear from him.

This is really cool, it is only a few hours away from where I live. I hope I can see it again (at the very least).

Steve also refused the "reward" of a years subscription to GRM magazine and I will be making a donation to a charity in place of that.

I will keep posting updates. Thanks for everyone's interest and help.

Mike

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
12/28/11 12:04 p.m.

great news...thats so weird how such a big group of people can still have a tight knit feel. Looking forward to updates!

J308
J308 New Reader
12/28/11 12:04 p.m.

Awesome that you found it, the internet proves all-powerful once again... although if the guy you sold it to twenty years ago is the current owner, I can't imagine him wanting to let you get it back. You'd be better off if it had changed hands as I'm betting that guy is rather attached to it by now.

Anyway, be sure to take pics if/when you get to see it again!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/28/11 1:28 p.m.

If you're very lucky, he raced it a bit and put it in a barn and is tired of looking at it now.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Dork
12/28/11 2:00 p.m.

i wonder if you guys can find my old yugo. it was in texas last time i heard

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
12/28/11 2:09 p.m.

This is a great thread. Very cool to hear that a reunion might be happening!

mightymike
mightymike New Reader
12/28/11 4:54 p.m.

It just gets better!

I am going to pick up the car next week. The current owner offered me an incredible deal and I will once again own the Capri. Up until last year it had been parked in a shed since 1996 so I am very encouraged that it is still in good shape.

I called an old friend who was my crew chief back in the day and he is going with us to get the car. He was just as blown away by this story as I am. I will post some pics as soon as we get it.

What's next? Stay tuned...I have two kids in college so progress might be a little slow. I have to find out what kind of shape the car is in and how much work it needs. At the very least a fun Auto X and track day car. I would love to road race it again, but we'll just have to see what happens.

Thanks again for all of the support!

Mike

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
12/28/11 4:56 p.m.

I'm unusually pleased with this story!

Joey

vw_jason79
vw_jason79 New Reader
12/28/11 5:11 p.m.

Wow, really cool story. I wish they would put something like this in GRM. "Finding a long lost first love."

unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/28/11 5:55 p.m.

This better get in the magazine.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
12/28/11 6:10 p.m.

I shall be monitoring this thread for updates as the owner of two 73 GTs

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
12/28/11 6:20 p.m.

Great story, wow. Some things are just meant to be. Good luck w/ your reunited love.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sYpu7U6guhHbwuS895nb8zguP5xccNyeHPFDBugchvBBtscWBHUQn2wTinJU3bRu