Raze
Raze Dork
1/28/11 10:37 a.m.

Oh I know people will yell at me for not soldering, but if I wanted it to be 'correct' or 'pretty' I would have rewired the whole harness (which given the state of the wiring will most likely happen anyway inside 5 years if I keep it that long).

This came about because the PO put a higher amp fuse off the first position for the + to an aftermarket stereo and melted the fuse block. I tried cleaning it but it would barely hold the fuse in place and there were a lot of intermittent problems, plus most of the spades had degraded badly. I decided to clip, crimp, and re-spade the wires and redo the fuse block to a more modern ATO.

Here's the before:

Notice that red wire with the inline fuse plug sticking out the back? Yeah, that was connected to the melted fuse, and here's the problem:

Here are a bunch of the other burned up wires:

Here was the awesome power lines to the ignition coil:

Here's the wire to the electric choke on the carb (doesn't show how badly the line was exposed.) Not to mention all the other loose everything under the hood:

Oh yeah, here's the new fuse block:

Here's the after:

Lettered side of the stock fuse box equivalent of the new one (butt connected wires together):

Numbered side of the stock fuse box equivalent of the new one (side with all the pig tails, the black wires are 10 ga, the green are 14 ga for the one white/black wire which is all alone on that side of the fuse):

Finally, I know the debate between crimping and soldering will go on long after I'm dead, and I'm younger than my car, but I did it all with crimping. And I know people complain about the crimpers I used as 'junk', but they worked just fine for me, in fact I will detail all the items needed to do this fix:

Fuse Block & Fuses: (1) 12 position ATO fuse block from Wirthco: (9) 10 Amp fuses (1) 15 Amp fuse

Electrical Connectors and Wire: (1) roll of electrical tape (20) 10-12 ga female spade connectors (5-10) 10-12 ga butt connectors (10) 8 ga butt connectors (10') 10 ga wire (1') 14 ga wire

Tools: Wire cutters Scissors Wire stripper/crimper

Total time to 'do the deed' was under 2 hours and very simple, I just had the door open sitting on a little creeper stool with the fuse block hanging loose.

I tested everything, and everything works, noticed the lights are a helluva lot brighter on low and high beam, wipers are still slow (gunked up, needs full dis-assembly), blinkers are slow, need to do the relay fix, starter turns over, ignition coil fires, fuel pump runs, radiator fan runs, interior blower fan runs, all position switches work, yeah haw!

mblommel
mblommel Reader
1/28/11 10:46 a.m.

Look good! Where did you get the fuse block? I need something exactly like that for my X1/9.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/28/11 10:55 a.m.

Wirthco makes them, though I got it from a retailer online and had it shipped, think it was under $30 all told...

Of all the ones out there I liked this a lot since it's got covers, totally backed in plastic, easy to deal with, it's for marine/RV applications apparently.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
1/28/11 10:59 a.m.

That is a nice fuse block, good job.

I miss my X1/9 :(

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/28/11 11:13 a.m.

A nice little surprise for the crimp connectors- if you can find a ratcheting crimper, you can get an "engineering sample" of the correct connectors from Moldex- I've done it a few times, and was able to rewire one of my Alfas.

These are the ones that both crimp the wire and a separate crimp for the insulator.

Super nice job.

Eric

Raze
Raze Dork
1/28/11 11:18 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: A nice little surprise for the crimp connectors- if you can find a ratcheting crimper, you can get an "engineering sample" of the correct connectors from Moldex- I've done it a few times, and was able to rewire one of my Alfas. These are the ones that both crimp the wire and a separate crimp for the insulator. Super nice job. Eric

I just checed out Moldex crimper and connectors, WOAH! That would have been a helluva lot better than the stupid $15 autozone crimper which I had to crimp the connectors (especially the 8 ga) multiple times due to how small the crimp area was. My hand does hurt...

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
1/28/11 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Raze:

The only thing your project would need with those would be the heat shrink tubing to cover the ends.

Still- it sure looks like you did a great job.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
1/28/11 11:29 a.m.

Glad you did the upgrade.

Electrical is so simple to do.

I did shrink wrapped all my connections where possible.

But my version of the 124 requires slightly less wiring ;)

A.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/28/11 11:35 a.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to Raze: The only thing your project would need with those would be the heat shrink tubing to cover the ends. Still- it sure looks like you did a great job.

Not just the ends, but the crimp connector/pig tails I had to make to convert from a multi-blade multi-junction on one side of the block to multi-blade single-junction on the other...

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 Dork
1/28/11 11:46 a.m.

This is what I started with ;) Foil covered fuses. Yum.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/28/11 11:50 a.m.

In reply to AndreGT6:

for a minute there I didn't even see it, all I can say is:

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
1/28/11 2:04 p.m.

Threads like this always make me smile....those are the kinds of mini projects that really make you feel better. Sometimes you just need to visually see progress to keep you motivated. Well done.

mblommel
mblommel Reader
1/28/11 2:34 p.m.
Raze wrote: Wirthco makes them, though I got it from a retailer online and had it shipped, think it was under $30 all told... Of all the ones out there I liked this a lot since it's got covers, totally backed in plastic, easy to deal with, it's for marine/RV applications apparently.

Thanks for the lead. Looking at Wirthco's site it seem as though you used p/n 30114-7. I compared their dimensions to the stock X1/9 fuse block and they are very, very close.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/28/11 2:44 p.m.
mblommel wrote:
Raze wrote: Wirthco makes them, though I got it from a retailer online and had it shipped, think it was under $30 all told... Of all the ones out there I liked this a lot since it's got covers, totally backed in plastic, easy to deal with, it's for marine/RV applications apparently.

Thanks for the lead. Looking at Wirthco's site it seem as though you used p/n 30114-7. I compared their dimensions to the stock X1/9 fuse block and they are very, very close.

if that's the 12 position one then yes that's it, it's about 2 inches longer than the stock 124 one, I just have to backspace it since the connectors are top/bottom instead of backside...

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
1/29/11 7:53 a.m.

I don't know why people are so reluctant to crimp wires. I've done it for years with never a problem. The factory does it (albeit with better equipment).

I usually cringe when people 'improve' Fiat wiring but that is a stellar job and certainly improves upon the original fuse block. That gets my stamp of approval.

Our Preferred Partners
QIRILP1BtlcuxCS3EK1buOegBU59pdLvUuJvf4iI0yEjwah7Gs9JAygShxD4I9LC