Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
12/21/19 7:49 a.m.

So, always kinda wanted to build something with a big wing and a splitter.

Enter my challenge miata. I got the wing free, but would be getting a new $80 ebay one thsts not broken and has endplates. 

Current wing mounted with duct tape.

Cars life is a toy and uncompetitive xp autocross car. So, limited aero. Previously at the chalemge i was rocking out with an xp legal spoiler.

Ehat say yall? Itll be street driven occasionally and to/from events 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/21/19 7:54 a.m.

It'd make me turn my head for sure, in a good way.

I've made wholesale changes from when I was younger about judging another persons vehicular choices.

That said, if you're asking for personal opinions, I love it.

(and frankly, if I didn't like it, I just wouldn't post in your thread)

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/21/19 7:56 a.m.

I dunno. It is a street driven hot rod, so it can look the part. On the other hand, do you want the attention from Law Enforcement Officers? 

Honestly, I think it looks pretty darn nice.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
12/21/19 8:31 a.m.

There's some considerable irony in naming a Japanese car "Bockscar"....

MrFancypants
MrFancypants New Reader
12/21/19 8:38 a.m.

Looks good!

Dusterbd13-michael
12/21/19 8:40 a.m.
02Pilot said:

There's some considerable irony in naming a Japanese car "Bockscar"....

Thats exactly what i intended. Powered by an American v6.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
12/21/19 8:41 a.m.

The difference between ricer and racer is tires.

If its running around on Walmart specials I am going to laugh and its a ricer build. If its on rational street/track tires for the build and they are actually being used then its a race car.  

Also splitters suck on the street, wings less so but splitters suck especially when the car is low. DOn;t go over board on the material like using carbon plastic or ABS is fine.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/21/19 8:48 a.m.

I like the balance. It actually looks pretty good. I'd rock that out. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/21/19 8:49 a.m.

I don't mind it. And the fact that you actually race it, mean it's "race". 

I run around on the street with a Lexan spoiler, which is arguably wackier. Somebody told me I "exceeded the bounds of good taste." I told them "You beat me on raw time and I'll take it off." Still running it.

calteg
calteg Dork
12/21/19 8:52 a.m.

The legitimacy comes from the fact that you have a splitter to balance the wing.

Dusterbd13-michael
12/21/19 9:06 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

The difference between ricer and racer is tires.

If its running around on Walmart specials I am going to laugh and its a ricer build. If its on rational street/track tires for the build and they are actually being used then its a race car.  

Also splitters suck on the street, wings less so but splitters suck especially when the car is low. DOn;t go over board on the material like using carbon plastic or ABS is fine.

Come spring ill be ordering a set of federal rsrr in 225/50/15. Im tired of swapping wheels ag the event.

And also, fromt splitter is 1/2 ply. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/21/19 9:08 a.m.
wheelsmithy said:

I dunno. It is a street driven hot rod, so it can look the part. On the other hand, do you want the attention from Law Enforcement Officers? 

Honestly, I think it looks pretty darn nice.

Attention from leo is no issue.for me. Im ok with it. And the exhaust screams "hi officer!" WAY louder than the aero.....

Rodan
Rodan Dork
12/21/19 9:08 a.m.

Wing needs to be further back and higher up... wink

I like the white roundels, I was thinking of going that way with ours but went with vinyl instead.

As wearymicrobe said, tires tell the true story, and they are usually the first thing I look at when checking out a modified car.  It lets me know how the conversation is going to go... cheeky

The only thing that really makes me cringe about driving our track NA on the street is the brakes.  The track pads squeal like a stuck pig in slow traffic...

Dusterbd13-michael
12/21/19 9:10 a.m.

In reply to Rodan :

The roundels are vinyl. Juuust in case....

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/21/19 9:10 a.m.

I like how the color matches the splitter, wheels, and top. It really mutes it and seems like an intentional part of a cohesive design vision. I like it.

Besides, "rice" doesn't really exist much anymore and got replaced by stance/hellaflush. 

Also, it has an American minivan engine so by default that makes every stock engine Miata ricier technically. 

Dusterbd13-michael
12/21/19 9:18 a.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

Lol. Fair enough.....

Not shown is the heavily vented hood thats still at my buddies shop getting 3d scanned. The louvers will be semigloss black as well, and hopefully make the cooling system effective in july

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
12/21/19 11:03 a.m.

I don't see how a miata with a 'Murica bent 6 named Bockscar can *not* have wings...

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
12/21/19 11:15 a.m.

I like it. Although my favorite on a Miata is the Duck tail.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/19 2:38 p.m.

I like it, but then again, my license plate on my miata is, SPEED RICER....

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
12/21/19 3:10 p.m.

To me rice was always more poor workmanship moreso than modification taste.

Eg: Poorly fitting body kits secured with woodscrews, janky wiring, cracked 1/4 inch Bondo sheets, et al.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
12/21/19 6:54 p.m.

That looks like an absolute blast to drive. Both for the feel of the ride, and the attention. I love it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bw9KdXa0rJuWjI7nMpsfej9vDr2aPNMt4ICKueKUYx7MVfjOUxZfxxo2KoddDM6i