Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/16/17 10:03 a.m.

Bonus time and thinking about tools and not just car parts. I have a Dewalt 20v drill and impact driver but its not an impact wrench and so it can't really turn most nuts on a car. I was thinking about an air ratchet but then saw the lion ones and then I saw right angle impacts which fit in the same space but might have more torque for busting loose stuck things while it seems the ratchets are more for speed of tightening/loosening?

What say the hive? Anyone of these a must have for the garage?

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
12/16/17 10:21 a.m.

I've got a Milwaukee M12 fuel 3/8" impact wrench.  It works for most fasteners about 10mm and below.  In the realm of 12mm/1/2", it's iffy.  Lug nuts torqued to 80-90 sometimes take a while to rattle off.  I use it a fair amount for exposed things on suspension and engine bay.  I've considered the electric ratchets but they can't break much loose.  Interested to hear other's thoughts.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/16/17 11:31 a.m.

I don't currently have a compressor or room for a very big one but I was wondering about the power of the electric. I have seen about 50lbft points for the most part however some of the AC delco ones claim higher (on the ratchets anyway, I wanna say the right angle impact claims 170)

Something like this one

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.com/Li-ion-18V-38-Angle-Impact-Wrench-with-Digital-Clutch-P245933.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiApdPRBRAdEiwA84bo37IS1V19KrBUiPEzDcKkM6UnqzX83Px0NjJzjYMPurpBj0pAZ4MYchoCN-AQAvD_BwE

Just thinking of how often I am in tight spaces with a socket and hard to get a lot of torque onto it, would be nice if the powered ones made that easier

Spitsix
Spitsix GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/16/17 12:35 p.m.

I've got a Milwaukee M18 18V Cordless 2-Speed 3/8 in. Right Angle Impact Wrench and like it a lot.  It has Fastening Torque of 60 ft-lbs

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
12/16/17 4:53 p.m.

The M18 Fuel rocks my socks.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/16/17 5:48 p.m.

Personally, I consider the 3/8" drive right angle pneumatic ratchet to be my primary tool for working on cars.  I only use a standard ratchet for putting things back together, and I'll use the air one for 80% of that.  I buy the super cheap ones from HF or Wally World and always keep a spare in stock, even though the super cheap ones seem to last me about 10 years.  If you don't have air and aren't planning on getting it, I suppose one of those battery ones would be OK, but I question the usefulness of one where the battery hangs down like Spitsix hotlinked.  Thin all the way out is going to be way more useful.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/16/17 6:42 p.m.

If I go air, how big of a compressor do I need? and how loud is it?

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/16/17 6:44 p.m.
93gsxturbo said:

The M18 Fuel rocks my socks.

Is there a right angle version of the fuel?

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/16/17 6:52 p.m.

The air ratchets I have are quite loud. You don't need a very big compressor. A cordless electric one would be pretty great as long as the form factor was ok. Don't expect the world from one if the lb-ft is only about 60. My 1/2" electric (10v kobalt) is awesome but huge compared to those right angle things. 

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
12/16/17 7:12 p.m.

A "smaller" 110V HF compressor, like the standup ones that sell for around $150 on sale, would run your air ratchet and an impact gun without any trouble.  The little pancake ones are too small. Get one that is not "oilless."  My friend has one and it isn't that loud.  Loud being relative.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/16/17 7:17 p.m.

I have a garage full of kid stuff and the half I can occasionally use to wrench is normally reserved for SWMBO so the ease of storage etc of the cordless ones would be nice.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/17/17 11:28 a.m.

Was cheaper to try the HF ratchet and their impact than buying some of the others will give them a go

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
12/17/17 1:01 p.m.

Unless you need to fill tires or paint or run a plasma cutter, I don’t know why you need a compressor around anymore. 

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
12/17/17 8:57 p.m.

I have a little compressor for tires that was from my offroadingdays but its not one with a tank or anything

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GG4SbFomApevvIrAFLZE5Mkw4cZBU6JOXhcTMNVIFuihm4Ab4GpnqyYqoC9YsqEJ