Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
5/10/19 6:59 a.m.

Not the ones you carry, the ones you pick up in the street.

A few days ago I found a 4 inch extension for a 3/8 inch drive socket, Craftsman of course. A couple of months ago it was a Craftsman flat blade screwdriver.

I'm good at picking up ice chests, including a 200 quart marine chest/commercial fish box.

What are some of the tools you've found in the street or picked up at the junkyard? Has anyone ever found a 10 mm socket?

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/10/19 7:33 a.m.

I picked up a long stanley crow bar on the road once.  Also a 3/4” drive impact socket set that was out with the trash at the end of someone’s driveway 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/10/19 7:43 a.m.

Dewalt 20v Hammer Drill/Driver. It was in the case, with a spare battery, charger, and some bits.  It clearly fell off of a work truck and was laying in the middle of the intersection.  I looked around, but no work sites anywhere to be found. 

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
5/10/19 8:28 a.m.

Snap-On slip joint pliers. I have two knives I’ve found as well.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
5/10/19 8:29 a.m.

Years ago I found a basic Craftsman 1/2" drive SAE socket set in the blow-molded case, minus the ratchet and one socket, lying in the street. I still have it.

Indecisiverock
Indecisiverock New Reader
5/10/19 8:44 a.m.

Tools I've found in JY runs: 10mm ratcheting wrench, 17mm wrench, 2 foot long pry bar, 3/8ths 14mm socket, multiple wire cutters and pliers, a really nice locking adjustable wrench, 5lb sledge hammer, and one of those reversible flathead/phillips scredrivers from a newer VW.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
5/10/19 9:12 a.m.

File. Punch (drift).  There's a $1 screwdriver embedded in my driveway from the paving company.  I'm leaving that one there.

Professor_Brap
Professor_Brap Dork
5/10/19 9:23 a.m.

Tool boxes, dewalt power tools, many pliers and screw drivers ratchets, pry bars, ladders, wheel barrows ect. 

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
5/10/19 10:01 a.m.

Found a sweet copper hammer on the road in front of my work a few years ago. I use it regularly. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
5/10/19 10:55 a.m.

All of the knives I have in my junkyard tool bag were found in the junkyard. Very handy for cutting belts. 

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
5/10/19 11:40 a.m.
Floating Doc said:

Has anyone ever found a 10 mm socket?

Yes. I once found a 10 mm socket at the side of a road. Was an off-brand.

Have found some other tools but most not really usable. Rusty, bent or broken usually.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
5/10/19 3:01 p.m.

I found an immaculate Swiss Army knife that still rides around in my console.  On a somewhat different level, I once found some rebar and a length of nylon rope at the side of a major highway; these items enabled me to change a tire when there was a jack in the car but nothing to make it go up and down.  (Long story.)  The rope disintegrated long ago, but I think I still have the rebar somewhere.  Don't want to get Fate mad at me.

Our Preferred Partners
IZF2aoqC294I0rcS2OUlbSOwwmtOKKuj9wGtwplMx4o4xBVb6Yqn29RZBC1ol06G