1 ... 8 9 10
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
2/13/19 10:16 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Turns out there are more than I thought in fact. Here's a list of fully autonomous passenger trains:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automated_urban_metro_subway_systems#Grade-of-Automation_4_systems

Those aren't trains.  Those are airport shuttles.  

As for risk...essentially all subways, commuter rail, and freight rail in this country uses a human operator.  As you point out, risk (read: legal) is a major reason.  I'd argue the risk associated with autonomous passenger vehicles is much greater.  

I have used lane departure assist and adaptive cruise control on a flat, lightly trafficked highway, and it...mostly worked.  I could see that being a "in the next 10 years" thing (autonomous highway).  We'll see.  

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/13/19 10:52 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse said:
GameboyRMH said:

Turns out there are more than I thought in fact. Here's a list of fully autonomous passenger trains:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_automated_urban_metro_subway_systems#Grade-of-Automation_4_systems

Those aren't trains.  Those are airport shuttles.  

As for risk...essentially all subways, commuter rail, and freight rail in this country uses a human operator.  As you point out, risk (read: legal) is a major reason.  I'd argue the risk associated with autonomous passenger vehicles is much greater.  

I have used lane departure assist and adaptive cruise control on a flat, lightly trafficked highway, and it...mostly worked.  I could see that being a "in the next 10 years" thing (autonomous highway).  We'll see.  

Why does an airport tram not count? But in any case: 

Not an airport shuttle, here in the USA

Another

College campus this time

How would we gamble without them?

In any case, I would be surprised if my wife and I don't own an autonomous car by 2035. Will it be fully autonomous? I doubt it. I doubt that they'll be able to figure out my parents driveway at their vacation home, although by that point they may be able to--Teslas autopilot is damn impressive. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
2/13/19 12:01 p.m.

In reply to mtn :

Heheh...I've worked a bit on that Morgantown people mover.  There are some very period you tube videos on it.  I don't know that it really qualifies as 'autonomous'....it's more of a glorified horizontal elevator.  

1 ... 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5bU2IQDXeZSEZJS6qn14R4m7f415e1VRDVVHJZlmfH7WULEVd8dgrGIiiEMSqzKd