Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/27/14 10:34 a.m.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Dork
12/27/14 11:14 a.m.

That's a very reasonable street cam. I broke my flat tappet in with Comp Cams "break-in" oil, and run Lucas "Hot Rod" high-zinc oil all the time. Cam survived, yours can too!

Javelin
12/27/14 1:00 p.m.

Mine came pre-broke-in! Pops has an engine stand to break in all the AMC motors he builds, so he broke in the cam and lifters for me and sent everything over numbered and ready to go. In the Javelin's 360 with the current mods it should wake it up by about 35HP. If I can finagle an intake manifold like the Air Gap, some roller rockers, and an electronic ignition, I should be looking at a good 60HP bump, easy. This basic combo ran 12's in his old 360 Javelin years ago.

Javelin
12/27/14 1:01 p.m.

As an aside, it's sooo much fun to run motors on the stand. It only has open headers, but he lives on airport, so we can make as much noise as we want.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
12/27/14 1:13 p.m.

So he's the guy the weather men are catering to.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/27/14 6:41 p.m.

Yes, Must post video

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 PowerDork
12/28/14 10:48 a.m.

Rumpity rump rump?

Funny. I always thought it was "bumpity bump bump."

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
12/28/14 12:32 p.m.

What heads do you have on this motor now?

Javelin
12/29/14 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA:

Stock AMC 6090. They aren't anything great by modern standards, but they are a stud rocker with pretty decent CFM flow, and one of the best AMC heads. The motor is and will be a torque monster.

It will basically be a stock long-block, but with the Comp XE262H cam, roller rockers, double roller timing chain, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake, 1970 manifolds through 2.5" duals with Hooker AeroChambers, and the Carter 660cfm AFB carb. Ignition will likely end up being a Mallory UniLite or something along that line.

I figure 360-375HP (gross, flywheel) and ~500 Ft Lbs of torque. With the new 3.73 LSD rear end and the set of M/T ET Drag slicks, it should do ~13.5 @ 105 in the quarter. I would need to actually address suspension tuning for drag racing and do some weight loss on the car to realistically hit the 12's.

I have every part to do this but the distributor and intake, and most of it is even already on the car.

Javelin
12/30/14 10:14 a.m.

In reply to iadr:

I honestly have no idea where the torque will fall, but it makes over 400 Ft Lbs now. Maybe 450 when it's done?

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
1/2/15 2:38 p.m.

The bottleneck in your setup will probably be the heads and those exhaust manifolds. I wonder if the Performer RPM is a good match for the rest of the setup.

There was a good GRM (or was it CMS)article a few years back about modifying an MGB. The article stated putting a Weber on an already-overcabureted MGB with its restrictive head was a waste of time and money because, and I mis-quote, "enlarging the wide end of the funnel does not increase flow through the funnel."

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
1/4/15 12:22 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to iadr: I honestly have no idea where the torque will fall, but it makes over 400 Ft Lbs now. Maybe 450 when it's done?

I'm just curious - How do you know it makes 400 lb-ft now? The specs on that car show 315 lb-ft.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
1/4/15 12:36 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

It's a 73, I can almost believe an extra 85ft-lbs with a thorough desmogging.

Javelin
1/4/15 12:54 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to iadr: I honestly have no idea where the torque will fall, but it makes over 400 Ft Lbs now. Maybe 450 when it's done?
I'm just curious - How do you know it makes 400 lb-ft now? The specs on that car show 315 lb-ft.

Math from the 1/4 mile MPH, gearing, and the car's weight. It's right at 400 Ft Lbs at the flywheel.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5TQ4lyskwwdgFjjlSgCbifgxhDj2TP9TE0FqEThd8FUw5F4Xjl8lN2lkyKxinZky