Javelin MegaDork
Dec. 27, 2014 10:34 a.m.

SkinnyG Dork
Dec. 27, 2014 11:14 a.m.

That's a very reasonable street cam. I broke my flat tappet in with Comp Cams "break-in" oil, and run Lucas "Hot Rod" high-zinc oil all the time. Cam survived, yours can too!

Javelin MegaDork
Dec. 27, 2014 1:00 p.m.

Mine came pre-broke-in! Pops has an engine stand to break in all the AMC motors he builds, so he broke in the cam and lifters for me and sent everything over numbered and ready to go. In the Javelin's 360 with the current mods it should wake it up by about 35HP. If I can finagle an intake manifold like the Air Gap, some roller rockers, and an electronic ignition, I should be looking at a good 60HP bump, easy. This basic combo ran 12's in his old 360 Javelin years ago.

Javelin MegaDork
Dec. 27, 2014 1:01 p.m.

As an aside, it's sooo much fun to run motors on the stand. It only has open headers, but he lives on airport, so we can make as much noise as we want.

Appleseed MegaDork
Dec. 27, 2014 1:13 p.m.

So he's the guy the weather men are catering to.

aussiesmg MegaDork
Dec. 27, 2014 6:41 p.m.

Yes, Must post video

1988RedT2 PowerDork
Dec. 28, 2014 10:48 a.m.

Rumpity rump rump?

Funny. I always thought it was "bumpity bump bump."

Dec. 28, 2014 12:32 p.m.

What heads do you have on this motor now?

Javelin MegaDork
Dec. 29, 2014 9:51 p.m.

In reply to Jerry From LA:

Stock AMC 6090. They aren't anything great by modern standards, but they are a stud rocker with pretty decent CFM flow, and one of the best AMC heads. The motor is and will be a torque monster.

It will basically be a stock long-block, but with the Comp XE262H cam, roller rockers, double roller timing chain, Edelbrock Performer RPM Air Gap intake, 1970 manifolds through 2.5" duals with Hooker AeroChambers, and the Carter 660cfm AFB carb. Ignition will likely end up being a Mallory UniLite or something along that line.

I figure 360-375HP (gross, flywheel) and ~500 Ft Lbs of torque. With the new 3.73 LSD rear end and the set of M/T ET Drag slicks, it should do ~13.5 @ 105 in the quarter. I would need to actually address suspension tuning for drag racing and do some weight loss on the car to realistically hit the 12's.

I have every part to do this but the distributor and intake, and most of it is even already on the car.

iadr
iadr HalfDork
Dec. 30, 2014 2:15 a.m.

That's a good cam spec for what you are doing. AMC's are less delicate b/c of the .904 lifter diameter (those Comp lobes are Ok'd for .842 lifters).
BBC is the worst- poor machining accuracy from OE, 1.7 rockers feeding the load back, and the little .842 lifters.

A little optimistic to think 500 ft lbs... not even with a crazy IR cross ram that costs as much as the car, and $2700 "spare no expense" headers. 400-410, net, flywheel.

Javelin MegaDork
Dec. 30, 2014 10:14 a.m.

In reply to iadr:

I honestly have no idea where the torque will fall, but it makes over 400 Ft Lbs now. Maybe 450 when it's done?

Jan. 2, 2015 2:38 p.m.

The bottleneck in your setup will probably be the heads and those exhaust manifolds. I wonder if the Performer RPM is a good match for the rest of the setup.

There was a good GRM (or was it CMS)article a few years back about modifying an MGB. The article stated putting a Weber on an already-overcabureted MGB with its restrictive head was a waste of time and money because, and I mis-quote, "enlarging the wide end of the funnel does not increase flow through the funnel."

bravenrace MegaDork
Jan. 4, 2015 12:22 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to iadr: I honestly have no idea where the torque will fall, but it makes over 400 Ft Lbs now. Maybe 450 when it's done?

I'm just curious - How do you know it makes 400 lb-ft now? The specs on that car show 315 lb-ft.

Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
Jan. 4, 2015 12:36 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace:

It's a 73, I can almost believe an extra 85ft-lbs with a thorough desmogging.

Javelin MegaDork
Jan. 4, 2015 12:54 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to iadr: I honestly have no idea where the torque will fall, but it makes over 400 Ft Lbs now. Maybe 450 when it's done?

I'm just curious - How do you know it makes 400 lb-ft now? The specs on that car show 315 lb-ft.

Math from the 1/4 mile MPH, gearing, and the car's weight. It's right at 400 Ft Lbs at the flywheel.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Modern Day Track Junkie

1 day ago in Articles

Christina Lam went from the sidelines to full-on track enthusiast in 8 simple steps.

How Ben_Modified Wows the Crowd: 1 Part Imagination, 2 Parts Fabrication

1 day ago in News

Ben_Modified's build combines some of our favorite things.

2017 Audi A8 L

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

When it comes to luxury sedans, Audis are usually front-runners. The A8 L is the biggest and maybe most comfortable ...

Slight Project Pause for Our BMW M3

2 days ago in Project Cars

Few things slow down our project car progress more effectively than a broken arm.

Grassroots Motorsports Experience Ticket Renewals Have Been Sent

3 days ago in News

Check your inbox for our Grassroots Motorsports Experience renewals.

First Drive: Turbo ND MX-5

3 days ago in News

We hit the track with Flyin' Miata's latest power adder.

Project Turbo Miata: Fire Fighting

3 days ago in Project Cars

We transfer the fire system to our new Miata.

Vintage Views: GMC Syclone and Typhoon

4 days ago in Articles

All-wheel drive, turbo power and a Q-ship’s stealth.

Classic Motorsports Mitty Presented by Hagerty Celebrates Porsche

5 days ago in News

Gearhead heaven? We think it looks something like this.

Meet the Rebels Who Started the Cannonball Run

5 days ago in News

Relive those desperado days through movie excerpts, and hear the real facts and wild stories from the legends themselves.

This Weekend at the Mitty: The Ultimate Auto Festival

1 week ago in News

Gates open this Friday for the Classic Motorsports Mitty at Road Atlanta.

ND Miata Turbo Kits Now Available!

1 week ago in News

Add 70 horsepower and 70 ft.-lbs!

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
XjNOHNSONlfeSfp8MhocEmtqKvilmiVk