1 2
carguy123
carguy123 Dork
3/23/09 5:39 p.m.
P71 wrote: Pretty much just the Miata then...

Actually Miata bits are pretty big and heavy. The Miata has become the defacto standard for Locosts, but it's still over engineered and heavy if you are wanting to really subscribe to Colin Chapman's philosophy.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/09 7:41 p.m.

There simply isn't a smaller/lighter RWD car in the US in the last 25 years then. Or anywhere really.

What about ATV stuff? Honda makes some RWD ones with independent suspension and disc brakes. Maybe Yamaha, Suzuki, and the others do as well? I know the really trick ones can have Ohlins coilovers with remote reservoirs and other such neat aftermarket stuff.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/23/09 7:52 p.m.

Might also want to add... ALL the parts for the fiat's suspension can be had at reasonable prices.. everything from stock to performance.

Might also want to look at Alfa spiders.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/23/09 8:15 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
carguy123 wrote: But looking mostly for newer cars that have smaller suspension uprights, brakes, etc. that are currently being produced or just stopped being produced so the parts would be available for a long time to come. We are wanting to build a few Locost type cars.
I have been wondering about the usability of a Fb or Fc Rx-7 as a locost donor.. what is the word on their rear ends and the uprights? are they SLA? Fb is solid rear axle (what power could that take in a locost app and diff? width?) Fc is IRS.. so the uprights could likely be used. it looks like they are strut front though..

FB axle i have heard is good for about 300hp in a V8 powered RX-7 (2300#+) in Locost it should be more than bullet proof. GSL axle has a LSD, GSL-SE has the LSD and the same bolt pattern as the FC. Get a hold of Jensenman, he has used these in several cars. His current project I think he had the flanges re-drilled for a more common bolt pattern. The 4 X110 pattern on the GS and the GSL is a real bastard. If you can find wheels, they are usually pricey, or steel.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/09 8:20 p.m.

Konig makes Rewinds and B-Bombs brand new in 4x110 for very reasonable in a 15", so wheels aren't that much of a worry.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
3/23/09 10:05 p.m.
P71 wrote: There simply isn't a smaller/lighter RWD car in the US in the last 25 years then. Or anywhere really.

AE86 is smaller/lighter than a Miata.

QuasiMondo
QuasiMondo New Reader
3/23/09 10:49 p.m.

Infiniti J30. Talk about a potential Z32TT sleeper.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/23/09 10:52 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
P71 wrote: There simply isn't a smaller/lighter RWD car in the US in the last 25 years then. Or anywhere really.
AE86 is smaller/lighter than a Miata.

And hasn't been made for 25 years...

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/23/09 11:03 p.m.

I like chevettes. Just bought another one

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
3/23/09 11:19 p.m.

Did anyone mention Miatas yet?

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
3/23/09 11:36 p.m.

Miata? What's that?

mrdontplay
mrdontplay Reader
3/23/09 11:57 p.m.

I heard mazda made some small car that was RWD but I don't remember what it was called.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/24/09 6:40 a.m.

Miatas aren't RWD.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/miata-dyno-guru/7393/page1/

RossD
RossD New Reader
3/24/09 10:03 a.m.

Mazda GLC (Great Little Car) was originally RWD before it turned into the 323 and fwd. I know where one is buried in the ground behind a house in northern wisconsin.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
3/24/09 1:48 p.m.

Now why would someone bury a GLC?

A few years ago there was an article in the daily scandal rag about a Ford Skyliner that was buried on someone's property down here, it was sort of an urban legend in that area. Sure enough, there was one buried there! The reasons for the burial were pretty hazy.

Anyway, the 1st gen RX7 axle is plenty tough for a Locost application, it's 57" wide wheel flange to wheel flange. The RX2/3/4/RWD GLC share a lot of parts with the 1st gen RX7 and it's narrower, the RX2 is 53" and the RX3/4/GLC is supposed to be 54". I haven't verified that one, though. The non-GSL-SE cars were all 4x110 mm bolt circle, GSL-SE's were 4x114.3. I had my RX2 axles redrilled for 4x100 and studs, much easier to find wheels!

The stock Miata rear axle setup is nice and strong with good brakes and a 4x100 mm bolt circle, its drawback is that with the shroud it takes up a lot of room in a Locost. If you don't mind fabbing your own control arms, shock mounts etc it would be an excellent choice. The R&P on the later Miatas is the same as a 1st gen RX7, too.

The 2nd gen RX7 (FC) setup has weird roll steer characteristics and the knuckles would be pretty tough to adapt to a Locost. They were 4x114.3 or 5x114.3. 3rd gen RX7s (FDs) were 5x114.3 too but like a Miata shroud and suspension linkage takes up a lot of room.

Another fairly plentiful axle would be the 7.5" GM in Vegas and Monzas (before anyone starts hollering, I know not all of them had this exact axle!) roughly 56" wheel to wheel, then there's the Fox body Fairmont/Mustang etc 7.5 and 8.8, the Pinto/Bobcat rear axle ~57" wheel to wheel, the Toyota AE86 and Celica, Datsun 510 wagon,

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r0esrzODyMuF8vG5ZIpF2K6iymX89vW8WBqg7Jy7AIrponLtCCpBbsVyZ6Sl0mSB