Capt Slow Dork
Feb. 2, 2012 5:52 p.m.

So we are prepping our RX-7 for March's 24hrs of lemons at infineon. The rear springs currently on the car have been cut and are a bit scary. One of the items our team would like to "fix" are these rear springs.

Ideally we would like a spring that has an ID of 4" 8-9" in length and at a rate of 200 lbs/in.

Anyone know a way I could source a set of these cheaply? From my research it seems that 4" springs are kind of hard to find.

I would be particularly interested in finding some domestic crap-pile I could raid parts out of at the junk yard. But if need be I could live with some inexpensive aftermarket parts too...

its a first gen RX-7 : http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/4646/

Knurled Dork
Feb. 3, 2012 7:52 a.m.

Find a Pathfinder in a junkyard. Once you cut them to that length they'll be in the 300lb range.

You may want to not drop the car quite so much - the scary is because of the low. The rear suspension doesn't really move when it's down super low, so it's like having a 30mm swaybar in the back.

i wonder, for a Lemons-like race, how long you could get away with seriously drilled-out upper link bushings.

weedburner New Reader
Feb. 3, 2012 11:11 a.m.

Aftermarket 5" O.D. coils are what i use, just cut 1/2 a coil from one end so that it will fit into the RX-7's lower spring pocket. I think IMCA modifieds still use 5" coils in the back and are in the same ballpark ratewise, local dirt track swap meet might be a good place to look.

weedburner New Reader
Feb. 3, 2012 11:16 a.m.

9-1/2" free height is the shortest 5" spring with a 200# rate that i see in the Speedway catalog, $55 ea. Cut 1/2 coil off to fit the RX-7 spring pocket, it would be about the right height.

Capt Slow Dork
Feb. 3, 2012 12:34 p.m.

Awesome info thanks guys. I didn't realize that 5" would work with just a little "haircut". I don't think that going to 10 1/2 or 11 in springs would necessarily be a bad thing. I am going to consult the rest of the team and see what they think...

Knurled Dork
Feb. 3, 2012 5:15 p.m.

I had problems fitting 5" springs without wallowing the upper spring perches out. You also will have interference with the upper links, but it'll be more annoying noises than anything.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

2 hours ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

3 hours ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

3 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

4 hours ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

22 hours ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

1 day ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

2 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

Deal of the Month: Free Trackside Companion!

2 days ago in News

Ever wished you had a handy guide on how to dial in your alignment or adjust your dampers?

This Tuesday: Join Us at Track Night in America

2 days ago in News

This Tuesday we'll be running at Palm Beach International Raceway

Experience Monterey With Us

3 days ago in News

We're on our way out to Monterey, California, for car week.

Tomorrow, August 15: Join our Monterey Kickoff Cruise-In

3 days ago in News

Our Monterey welcome party is taking over all of downtown Pacific Grove.

Vintage Views: Classic Mini

6 days ago in Articles

Turn heads, have jolly good fun.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
gIpNwdwoOum2KBqPoYK9jDMNltlaal2N