1 2 3 4 5
DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/28/10 12:16 p.m.
njansenv wrote: I cringe a little when I hear that (paraphrasing) "I can't step down to a lowly civic or GC Subaru"

You're not the only one.

I'm a 35 year old with a bachelors, a masters, and a 6-figure household, and I've never had a car as nice as an RX-8.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
12/28/10 12:19 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
njansenv wrote: I cringe a little when I hear that (paraphrasing) "I can't step down to a lowly civic or GC Subaru"
You're not the only one. I'm a 35 year old with a bachelors, a masters, and a 6-figure household, and I've never had a car as nice as an RX-8.

I echo dave's remarks.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/28/10 12:25 p.m.

In reply to Ignorant:

Bachelors here, Masters for the wife, family income decent but not quite as good as you or Dave and our 03 WRX is our most expensive car to date.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
12/28/10 12:39 p.m.

Yeah I don't have a 6 figure income.. We do well, but we're one income.... We have a 07 rav4 that I bought new but paid off.. Not exactly a luxury mobile.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/28/10 12:42 p.m.

We're only there because of our DINK status. If/when a kid shows up, we'll be back to my, unfortunately 5-digit income....

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
12/28/10 12:43 p.m.

Bachelor's for both of us, family income well under 1/2 you guys, 5 kids, and 400,000 miles on my daily driver.

How did we move from RX-8's to reciting our resumes?

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
12/28/10 12:44 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
You're not the only one. I'm a 35 year old with a bachelors, a masters, and a 6-figure household, and I've never had a car as nice as an RX-8.

I doubt few have the money to build the type of auto-x car you have, or have the money but choose not to.

Different priorities.

Let's try to keep this thread from going down the tired, old "I make a million dollars a year, and drive an '87 F-150 held together with bailing wire and duct tape" direction, yet again.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
12/28/10 1:01 p.m.

I dont know why people are complaining about a stock MS6 being not as fast as a modded c5. It's got 40% of the displacement and 100+% of the weight, what with carrying around all of that pesky utility..

Personally, i would rather have an MS6 than a WRX, and as seen they can and do ET 13.6-14.0 in stock trim. Traps in the high 90s, faster than a completely stock 2.0 wrx, and i think the torque is significantly higher.

I would think the stock MS6 handling is similar to an old stock wrx, but i havent driven either, actually.

Oh and since we're on to stupid subjects now, my income while attending university is in the negative 5 figures every year, but i still own 11 cars worth a grand sum of maybe $10k. I lose more money every full-time semester of university than i would gain by selling all my cars and walking.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
12/28/10 1:18 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
I doubt few have the money to build the type of auto-x car you have, or have the money but choose not to. Different priorities. Let's try to keep this thread from going down the tired, old "I make a million dollars a year, and drive an '87 F-150 held together with bailing wire and duct tape" direction, yet again.

That's fair. Just burns a little to hear a 20 year old talk about how he's too good for a 10 year old car.

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/28/10 1:42 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote: Just burns a little to hear a 20 year old talk about how he's too good for a 10 year old car.

Werd......... I'm always far more impressed when a 10yr old oozes enthusiasm for a 20yr old car.

Ignorant
Ignorant SuperDork
12/28/10 1:55 p.m.
oldsaw wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote: Just burns a little to hear a 20 year old talk about how he's too good for a 10 year old car.
Werd......... I'm always far more impressed when a 10yr old oozes enthusiasm for a 20yr old car.

I agree.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/28/10 1:57 p.m.

early us wrx's are the 2.0, the exhaust is somewhat restrictive, but the culprit is more the tune. First gear can be dreadful on the low end. With a $200 cable and a laptop you can fix the problem. The cat on the uppipe is a problem though, if it starts to break down it will munch the turbo. It's wise to change. The 2.5 liter wrx's don't have the same low end issue. I'd wager even a stock 2 liter would have enough low end thrill for the original poster.

Dav
Dav New Reader
12/28/10 3:43 p.m.
Vigo wrote: I dont know why people are complaining about a stock MS6 being not as fast as a modded c5. It's got 40% of the displacement and 100+% of the weight, what with carrying around all of that pesky utility.. Personally, i would rather have an MS6 than a WRX, and as seen they can and do ET 13.6-14.0 in stock trim. Traps in the high 90s, faster than a completely stock 2.0 wrx, and i think the torque is significantly higher. I would think the stock MS6 handling is similar to an old stock wrx, but i havent driven either, actually.

I own a bugeye that I bought new and have driven a MS6--I would rather have the WRX, and I like the Mazda 6--I also bought a wagon new.

An early WRX is probably 500lbs lighter, has a virtually limitless aftermarket, can fit some good sized rubber, and to quote my Dad, "I am amazed at how reliable your Subaru has been despite how much you have messed with it."

The early 2.0L models are down on torque compared to the newer 2.5L, but they also get pretty good mileage if you keep out of the boost. I average 22-26, as high as low 30s, and the worst I have ever gottten was high teens, but I was driving for an extended amount of time with the speedo beyond its limit (140 MPH)--on a closed course, of course. ;)

However, I am assuming that you can get a 2.0 WRX cheaper than a MS6.

rotard
rotard New Reader
12/28/10 4:22 p.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
I doubt few have the money to build the type of auto-x car you have, or have the money but choose not to. Different priorities. Let's try to keep this thread from going down the tired, old "I make a million dollars a year, and drive an '87 F-150 held together with bailing wire and duct tape" direction, yet again.
That's fair. Just burns a little to hear a 20 year old talk about how he's too good for a 10 year old car.

I think you guys are putting words in his mouth, so to speak. This holier than thou attitude gets old after awhile. God forbid that someone doesn't like Miatas, E30's, Civics, or GC Subbies. God forbid that someone doesn't want to spend time and money on a car he doesn't like.

vincephan
vincephan New Reader
12/28/10 4:35 p.m.
rotard wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
z31maniac wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
I think you guys are putting words in his mouth, so to speak. This holier than thou attitude gets old after awhile. God forbid that someone doesn't like Miatas, E30's, Civics, or GC Subbies. God forbid that someone doesn't want to spend time and money on a car he doesn't like.

Thank you! Glad to see someone with a three digit IQ here.

Honestly, different people buy different cars for different reasons. I know, it's shocking to some of you that others don't follow your philosophy but in 35 years of experience, I'm sure you should have picked that up by now. If not, I think I'm going to go ahead and drop out of college right now. With your so claimed 6 figure household, nothing is stopping you from picking up an RX8 or even a more expensive car. My RX8 was 9,500 dollars. No one is stopping you from picking one up so don't go rain on my parade cause you haven't. I'm sorry that I think the RX8's refinement is better than that of a Civic or a GC8 and I forgive you for putting words in my mouth. =]

oldsaw
oldsaw SuperDork
12/28/10 4:53 p.m.

In reply to vincephan:

My apologies in advance, but............

Why get all butt-hurt when you ask for other people's opinions when the only one that matters is yours? Do what you want and enjoy/lament the consequences.

Once done, come and share your observations - we'd all benefit from someone's comparative experience.

YMMV

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/28/10 5:03 p.m.

I was going to comment, but I don't know if my IQ is high enough. Hell, I am going to comment anyway. I think you would love the WRX. I think you are missing out dismissing the Miata. It isn't all about horsepower. A Miata has all the good parts of the RX8 except the rear seats and none of the buffering that disconnects you from really enjoying the car. A MS6 sounds like a cool car, but my brief research has them just not feeling quite rite and breaking stuff if tuned to unleash all the power. One of the bigger motor E36 or E46 cars would be nice because they have all the torque the RX8 didn't get and the same silky smooth ability to eat up rpms. The handling isn't RX8 sharp but not shabby by any means. Don't get insulted if we get defensive when you basically say the cars we all love aren't good enough for you. Enjoy and fill us in on what you get.

rotard
rotard New Reader
12/28/10 5:06 p.m.

Since when does an E36 or E46 have the same "silky smooth ability to eat up rpms?" The Miata and Rx8 feel pretty much the same to me in the handling department (gee, I wonder why?)

vincephan
vincephan New Reader
12/28/10 5:11 p.m.

Those who have come to share their opinions have been greatly appreciated. Those who come on here and try to have a pissing contest on "who makes the most money while driving the least expensive car" gets kinda stupid.

I have to dismiss the Miata due to the fact I can't seat more than one additional passenger, otherwise I think I would have bought an S2000 in the first place.

In the meantime, I have my RX8 posted up for trade on NASIOC. I'm still undecided on whether or not I'm going to let the RX8 go. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again!

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/28/10 5:11 p.m.
rotard wrote: Since when does an E36 or E46 have the same "silky smooth ability to eat up rpms?" I haven't driven a Miata that felt as connected as an Rx8. They definitely feel more mechanical, though.

I have driven/owned tons of rotary engined cars, Lexus V8's, Miatae, British stuff, Hondas, Toyotas, Driven LSx engined stuff, etc... and then I bought my 97 328 with worn out everything. While a BMW 6 doesn't match the absolute number of rpm of a rotary, it is the only motor I have owned that just winds up to redline with the same smoothness and willingness as a rotary

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/28/10 6:07 p.m.

Early 911? There are now some decent drivers for sale below $10k.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/28/10 6:09 p.m.

Not for early 911s (aka longhoods, up to '73) - what you get there for 10k most likely will have to be carried home in a bucket.

You can get an SC for that sort of money - funnily enough that's what I'm currently considering if/when my 911 in the UK sells.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/28/10 6:12 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Sorry, I don't know 911 lingo very well. I just know there have been 911's for sale linked from this board for less than $10k. I want one!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Dork
12/28/10 6:43 p.m.

My interpretation of what you want is an WRX STI. You won't be happy with anything else. Which is fine, you want what you want. But if you ask opinions your gonna get opinions. Also seems you're limiting yourself to rear wheel drive or all-wheel drive. Honda seating is really very good and handle very well but alas FWD. Along with the other Subies you're turning down. I do understand the seating limitation of a Miata or S2000. Which is one of the reasons why I took over my daughters RX8 and dd it now. She's driving my Miata now except when I autocross. It's more set up for autocross. Cheaper to setup and operate than the RX8 also, especially tires. Thought about trading my Miata for something like that myself although I was leaning more toward E36/E46 or a WRX Wagon a friend wants to get rid of. After dd the RX8, my daughter will have a hard time getting back from me. Gas mileage still better than my old beater truck(95 F150 XLT). She wants a Civic so that maybe easy.
Was going to reply about having a 3-digit IQ, bachelor, barely 6-digit but spend it on silly things like kids college tuition, house and SWMBO. But that seems superflous now.

Type Q
Type Q HalfDork
12/28/10 6:49 p.m.
vincephan wrote: Those who have come to share their opinions have been greatly appreciated. Those who come on here and try to have a pissing contest on "who makes the most money while driving the least expensive car" gets kinda stupid. I have to dismiss the Miata due to the fact I can't seat more than one additional passenger, otherwise I think I would have bought an S2000 in the first place. In the meantime, I have my RX8 posted up for trade on NASIOC. I'm still undecided on whether or not I'm going to let the RX8 go. I will keep you guys updated. Thanks again!

Try not to take anything too seriously here. If you post on a site called Grassroots Motorsports you going to get a lot of opinion on how have the most "fun" (which is completely subjective) with minmal cash outlay. There is great pride taken here in finding ways to go as fast as (fill in the blank) for one tenth the price.

When I read your post my first thought was, "Wow, an RX8 is nicer than anything I drove while I was in college." I probably would would have assumed you were some rich-poser-douschebag back when I was in college. It seems like there might be a little of that in some of the responses to your questions. I am past that and don't begrudge anything for owning a nice car.

The best advice I ever got when it comes to cars came from Tim Suddard told me when I met him at the run off's in '96. He said, "Do what makes you happy. If you love Nissan Z's and want to build and compete in one no matter how competitive it is, do that. If you really are driven to win and won't be happy if you not at the front, do what it take to do that. If you love old VW's and want compete in Formula V, do that." So my suggestion is do what is going to make smile. If that means getting a WRX, then do that. And don't take anything too seriously here.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EbtCQyINFESdAnH8NNpoW0DlKHWeVaHdbjRXPMLkc7UbMtHhy01qugogI3y5xAfU