internetautomart SuperDork
10/11/10 11:02 a.m.

The future calls for me replacing the struts on my DD 240sx. My requirements are that the car not get lower at all. I do want a decent ride akin to the stiffness I have now. I would like to be able to adjust the ride. I am leaning towards a coilover setup because it comes with new mounts and springs (something i would like to replace on a 19yr old car.)
I guess the real question is : Is there a coilover setup that doesn't automatically drop the car? and of course the cheaper the better

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
10/11/10 12:23 p.m.

I put Ground Control coilovers on my Rolla and it didn't drop the car, or not much over the old, worn out springs if it did. You just adjust it up. I could have dropped the car a lot, but then getting out of my driveway would be "challenging."

Brotus7 Reader
10/11/10 12:25 p.m.

Coilovers have adjustable perches and you can play around with different height springs to adjust the ride height.

A popular combination in the MR2 world are Ground Control coilover sleeves with Koni yellow shocks. A similar combo ought to be available for the 240sx. It will probably run about 1k though.

10/12/10 5:51 p.m.

OUCH! the GC setup (w/konis) is $1700. Way to rich for me right now. Maybe I'll just stick to stock replacement stuff

Cone_Junky Reader
10/12/10 6:02 p.m.

I bought some used Ohlins coilovers from ebay for mine ($1500). They adjust from a 2" drop to higher than stock. If anything you could purchase replacement coilover springs that are 1" (or more) taller if it's too low at it's highest setting.

10/12/10 6:34 p.m.

interesting idea on swapping springs out. I may do that on a cheapo set. I do need to go through the whole suspension though

Our Preferred Partners