ww
ww SuperDork
2/18/11 2:43 p.m.

The S14 is the chassis designation for the DOHC 240SX that came with the KA24DE motor.

Good luck. They're mostly hooned out already as a result of the Drift "Boyz". If you can find one that hasn't been beat to death, you may find one that was pulled from a drifter that wanted to upgrade their 240SX with an SR20DET JDM motor.

Where in the south are you?

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/18/11 2:47 p.m.

Or are you talking about the S14 motor which came in the E30 BMW M3 and putting it into a BMW 1600 (same body style as 2002)?

I do see a roundel in your avatar...

EDIT: Your answer and my reply to the initial question: It's like they happened at the same time...

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
2/18/11 2:55 p.m.

If you have lots of spare cash. A good condition running one is usually in the $3k neighborhood, and if you find one that needs a rebuild? You can likely triple that number.

Personally, I'd go for something a little less expensive for a track car.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/18/11 2:56 p.m.

I have no idea on the shop for that part of the world, I'm afraid.

I would look into all the engine options before going with the S14. It definitely results in something awesome from what I hear, but they're very expensive to find and to rebuild.

Other options to consider are the M20 six-cylinder, and the M42/M44 twincam four. (The M42 is what I'm doing on my 2002, still waffling on turbo vs supercharger vs shelling out for one of Metric Mechanic's 205-horsepower N/A motors. I was going to do an M20, but decided the car was already too nose-heavy.)

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
2/18/11 3:37 p.m.

I have the s38 (~s14 plus 2 cylinders) in my m6. It is a great motor, but there are many other motors than are cheaper to work on, cheaper to acquire and use more modern fuel injection out there. From a purist standpoint, you are never going to beat the s14 from the e30 m3; from a reality standpoint; I would look to japan for greater bang for the buck and ease of use.

I would probably talk to the guys are Harrison motorsports over in atlanta. He occasionally comes across some of the motors. There are also many other sources.

The best vignette I can give you is that I have seen a couple s50/s52's from the e36 m generation swapped into e30 m cars. The owners liked the increase in hp without the increase in maintenance and cost you would need from a s14 at similar power levels.

The early m-motors are just a little too rare and the parts/labor can be Extremely expensive. When my motor goes, my car is technically totaled. Technically because I am not spending 12k on a rebuild; I will however drop in an LS motor :)

tr8todd
tr8todd Reader
2/18/11 3:57 p.m.

Your looking at a very expensive endeavor. Your best bet is to find a 2 liter M10 and just go with that. If you want more power throw a turbo on it. You can get 300 WHP out of a turbo for a lot less cash than it would take to get 240 out of the S14. You should check out this web site if you plan on doing anything with the 2002 body. http://www.bmw2002faq.com/

ww
ww SuperDork
2/18/11 4:11 p.m.
coolusername wrote: Sorry I mean the s14 that came in the BMW E30 M3, I am in Bama.....

HAHA! That's too funny. I thought you were talking about a Datsun 1600 race car!

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
2/18/11 4:18 p.m.
ww wrote:
coolusername wrote: Sorry I mean the s14 that came in the BMW E30 M3, I am in Bama.....
HAHA! That's too funny. I thought you were talking about a Datsun 1600 race car!

Same here. Datsun 1600 and wanted a KA engine swap. That's more my speed.

02Pilot
02Pilot Reader
2/18/11 4:19 p.m.

S14 is nice but quite pricey. If it were me, I'd build a strong 2.0L M10 and either Webers (if you're a carb guy) or rig up a Megasquirt system, perhaps with ITBs. You'll still be in the plus column over an S14.

JohnW
JohnW Reader
2/18/11 6:00 p.m.

I have an m20 in my 2002 and I never want to go back to an m10. (I've owned 4 2002s over the last 11 years, including a tii.)

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Reader
2/18/11 7:16 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: If you have lots of spare cash. A good condition running one is usually in the $3k neighborhood, and if you find one that needs a rebuild? You can likely triple that number. Personally, I'd go for something a little less expensive for a track car.

And it's awfully easy to catch the "while we're in there why don't we____" disease. Been there,got the t-shirt (also got a hellafast '02).

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
f4yqiG2vat9nrGE5yqk1DDvlhIpunB2qLGvpQipkqHKMNoN0Lrdy1hUDHJAgLmO3