belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/21/08 10:18 a.m.

My brother gave me his two owner 87k mile '79 RX-7 for a song.

It's got some rust around the rear wheel openings and the area behind the rear wheels. It needs paint. It's stock stock stock.

Here's the dilemma part; What do I do with this car? My first inclination was to do a sbc swap. I bought a unknown 4 bolt 350, 700r4, and an install kit. Well come to find out the motor is gonna need a bunch of $$ and work to be the way I want it. So that's not good. But for another $1000 or so into the project, I think I could be running 12's. Then, this weekend, one of my friends gives me a complete SA drivetrain, including tranny, accessories, carb, I mean complete, for nuthin. So I've got a lot of spares if I stayed 12a.

Which way do I go? A stock-ish 30 year old rx7 has it's appeal. So does a sneaky little drag car. I dunno.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Associate Publisher
8/21/08 11:50 a.m.

I would keep it stock, fix the rust, repaint it and leave her be. The values on clean early RX-7's has been rising. Use it for a weekend cruiser. The early cars have a charm to them. The 12a isn't fast but will run forever if you don't overhear it or run it out of oil.

There are better platforms to go fast in. This is coming from someone who currently owns three first gen cars and has owned six total. I have taken one from stock to highly modified and I often wish I left it alone and drove it.

Gearhead_42
Gearhead_42 HalfDork
8/21/08 11:56 a.m.

Fix the rust and drive it. I miss mine. I've owned two, miss my stock one more than the modified.

Currently stalking my third one

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
8/21/08 2:02 p.m.

Unless you are going to get an LS1, I wouldnt do a V8 swap. You can still do alot with a small block chevy, but stock they are pretty outdated when the gen 3 engines dont cos that much. (the ls1 based trucks seem to have lots of trouble with engine fires, and you can get a still good engine with the wiring burned for $150 from the junkyard.)

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/21/08 7:22 p.m.

Keep it 12A. I have a 500+ HP V8 in the garage and I've yet to try to shoehorn it into my FB. Clean SA's bring BANK, especially if it's one of the "cool" colors (think Spark Yellow or that Lime Green color). 79's are even more so.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
8/22/08 8:52 a.m.

It is Spark Yellow. Or was. Now it's more lemon yogurt yellow.

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/22/08 9:47 a.m.
Travis_K wrote: (the ls1 based trucks seem to have lots of trouble with engine fires, and you can get a still good engine with the wiring burned for $150 from the junkyard.)

$150 for an LS1?! I was looking yesterday and couldn't find one for under $1500.. Is there somewhere I should be looking for deals on LS1's? (I've got a C3 corvette calling out for more than 200 horsepower.)

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
8/22/08 12:38 p.m.

I didnt mean $150 for an LS1, rather a 4.8 or 5.3 that had a engine fire and needs new accessories and wiring can be found for that price. For the last couple of years there have been lots of melted hummers, avalanches, tahoes, etc showing up in pick and pull.

dculberson
dculberson New Reader
8/22/08 2:38 p.m.

Gotcha.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/22/08 7:02 p.m.

Don't bother with the 4.8.

Go with the 5.3 or 6.0. Try for an aluminum block as well.

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 New Reader
8/23/08 6:22 a.m.

I say stay with the 12A,but I am a bit of a traditionalist. I have currently a ultra clean early 78 Spark Yellow GS with the 12A(of course),and I can't think of a car in my past history that I have liked more. The 12A is not a very powerful engine,but the car is well balanced,and fun to drive even with 100 hp. In my eyes the SA is the best RX-7 made,but maybe I am weird(I have been called that before).

Chris

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d9P0kgOkbKjs1KIKNmy1QCYeAyv9ET8Aj0LJhx0Chl3OaAFrAmvZahLYCa9TW0pO