Broadspeed
Broadspeed None
8/21/11 8:16 p.m.

88 Saab 900 SPG - need a manual transmission type 8 primary drive input gear (33-tooth). Land speed race this car and currently use a type 7 set. Best speed so far 162.2 MPH for the standing start mile (Maxton). The type 8 gear set is good for 175+ MPH.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/21/11 8:29 p.m.

try here:

SaabCentral

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
8/21/11 8:45 p.m.

Good luck finding some.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
8/21/11 8:52 p.m.

ok peaked my interest how do you tell what gear set from outside of the transmission what have you done to it to get 162 mph I only got 135 out of mine before the engine broke .

I am also in the process of getting my old 86 challenge saab on the road again .

Broadspeed
Broadspeed New Reader
8/21/11 8:55 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine: Thanks, put a post on their site.

Broadspeed
Broadspeed New Reader
8/21/11 9:17 p.m.

Trans serial number 4th digit will be the primary drive gear ratio. Type 6 & 7 are common. Type 8 are rare in this country; very few models rumor is their are 1985 models with that primary drive. 162 MPH has been a 3-year process , 70+ runs. Stock rebuilt engine with Larger turbo, custom header, external wastegate, intercooler, phase 1 cams pull to redline of 6,600 RPM, larger fuel injectors, high volume fuel pump, 3-inch straight exhaust, type 7 primary drive and safety gear - rollbar, race seat, fire system, and race belts.

I believe your 86 Saab would have type 6 trans and a 3.67:1 differential with 196/60-15 tires it should run 147 MPH @ 6,000 RPM in fifth gear.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/21/11 11:33 p.m.

8s are super-rare in the U.S., as noted. I have never heard of any US cars having had them, nor have I ever seen them spec'd in the electronic parts catalog or gear spec charts I have.

Try calling Brad Schaffner at 816-333-6582 (KC Saabs in Kansas City). He's a Saab dealer but also big into modifying/racing classic 900s (circle track, mostly) for many, many years. Other than that, I think you're looking at getting a set from Europe. They occasionally come up on UK eBay.

Also try the forum at www.saabrally.com for possible leads - there are a couple Brits on that site.

Also try http://www.uksaabs.co.uk/UKS/viewforum.php?f=3.

Also try http://forum.saabturboclub.com/ which is in Swedish, but everyone in Sweden seems to speak English. They have an English-only sub-forum but no one ever reads it, so inquire in the "Chassi, bromsar och transmission" sub-forum.

If you strike out, I have a German acquaintance who'd likely be willing to ask on a German Saab forum -- the #8s were fitted to some German cars.

I have heard about, but have no experience with, converting an upper gear to a lower; sorry, no details.

Some 79-80 4-speed gearboxes had 31:30, which is better than what you have. I do not know whether they will work in a newer primary case, however - something to ask at www.saabrally.com. If they will, in fact fit, then try calling Scanwest Autosport in Seattle; ask to speak with Rob: 888-90-TURBO.

Saw your 162 mph run on YouTube -- good stuff: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2s36SpvMEY

Luke
Luke SuperDork
8/22/11 12:37 a.m.
procainestart wrote: Some 79-80 4-speed gearboxes had 31:30, which is better than what you have.

Is that the much lauded 'chillcast' gearbox?

mad_machine
8/22/11 8:15 a.m.

I know I am in for the type 8 primaries.. not so much for the top speed.. but for a more relaxed highway cruising speed.

procainestart
procainestart Dork
8/22/11 9:49 a.m.
Luke wrote: Is that the much lauded 'chillcast' gearbox?

Hmm, good question -- I don't know. I believe the chillcast was made through '80, and that ratio info came from a Saab document for 4-speeds, so it's conceivable. OTOH, Saab put all sorts of different ratios in their cars, based on the market and engine variant. I don't know what primaries my chillcast came with because it was sort of a Frankenstein 'box made from a large supply of used parts.

Broadspeed
Broadspeed New Reader
8/22/11 7:43 p.m.

In reply to procainestart: Thanks for all the leads! I'll see what I can turn up from them.

mad_machine
8/22/11 9:19 p.m.

a few months ago I saw some "carlsson" gears on ebay.. I wonder if those were the same as the Type 8s?

Broadspeed
Broadspeed New Reader
8/22/11 10:17 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine: Some of the the limited edition high horsepower Saabs were fitted with Type 8's. Good possibility a Carlsson edition model has Type 8's.

mariapazsanta
mariapazsanta New Reader
4/23/12 10:15 p.m.

i just want to know, do saab still producing Saab Parts until now? or they just stop producing parts because they stop producing cars also?

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
4/23/12 10:26 p.m.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
4/23/12 10:57 p.m.

Smart canoe? No kidding! Maybe they are adapting and realize we don't care about Gu¢¢! luqqage or non-Ford E$¢0rt$.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
94SkvweH8KqEfdavIaK57JhWrfis3IpQz8zRPpoyQMOc4Q0rFoG151csIgn0Wi0Y