Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
3/22/20 5:52 p.m.

I am planning out a potential challenge build using a donor that I just got, 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0T. 

The engine is very similar to the LSJ in the supercharged cobalt SS. I know you can swap the coils and a couple other things and use the LSJ ECU to run it. 

However to keep the budget down, I would like to keep the Saab electronics. Since I have the whole donor car , and the Saab ECU already has a tune loaded on it.

The question is what all do I need to run the Saab engine out of the Saab?

Engine and ECU I know  

Will I need to use the Saab key and wiring to get around the immobilizer?

What other modules, body computers, etc would I need?

Thanks. 

want to leave this here for future reference in case I need to run the LSJ stuff https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/advanced-performance-modifications-130/project-super-saab-swap-272726/

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/22/20 8:43 p.m.

I don't exactly have an answer for you but if you find that a Tech2 tool is useful, I have one from my 9-3 that needs a new home. Let me know.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/22/20 8:51 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Hey!  Where you been?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/22/20 10:26 p.m.

Check out t7suite, or maybe it's t8suite.

Should be able to rune your factory ecu for zero challenge budget hit. If you have any questions let me know I used t5suite a bit and I bet they're similar (t5 is just an earlier saab engine management).

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
3/23/20 7:39 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

PM sent

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
3/23/20 7:42 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

The current ECU is "Stage 3 tuned" so I am good with that part.  It is just getting it to run outside the Saab, I don't know what all I need from the Saab.  If that makes any sense. 

Is there a way in the t8suite to set up the ecu's as standalone? Or at least disable the immobilizer? That you know of?

Robbie
3/23/20 9:05 a.m.

If the ecu has a "stage 3 tune" it is almost guaranteed it was done with t8suite (either by an amateur or a pro shop using t8suite).

My understand is that you can change just about anything with it, and you can also setup some cool features (two steps for drag launches, e85 flex fuel sensors and adaptive maps, etc).

Also my understanding is that yes you can turn the immobilizer off. If you want to remove evap, CEL, AC, etc you can do that too.

Robbie
3/23/20 9:17 a.m.

And I think the Saab is a perfect example of a factory computer/engine package to use standalone! Cant wait to learn more about your project.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
3/23/20 2:47 p.m.

Can't you just increase boost on the Saab motor and/or get a bigger turbo instead of the work associated with swapping the engine?

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
3/23/20 3:25 p.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 :

The plan is to use the Saab motor in a non-Saab challenge car. Hopefully sell some of the left over Saab for recoup. 

I have two candidates right now, the plan is to see why the Saab engine is running rough now, then pull it out get it to run "stand-alone" and then see where I am at budget wise. 

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
3/23/20 6:26 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Thanks for the recommendation, checked out the site for the T8 suite and ordered a cable to use. I had ordered a Bluetooth version so sounds like I will need to return that. Ended up getting the OBlink SX.  

Should be an adventure!

Somebeach (Forum Supporter)
Somebeach (Forum Supporter) Reader
4/5/20 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I had found a thread on the trionic tuning forum about setting up the T8 ecu as standalone, and a mention of just an issue of getting the ecu to turn off the engine when you turn off the key. But i figure you could just cut power to the to the whole ecu with a battery cut off switch? 

They mention  a .bin patch which i don't have enough posts on there yet to see. But from when you did the tuning on your saab is a .bin patch, just copying and pasting part of someone else's tune into yours? 

I am not familiar with all the terms that get thrown around on that site. 

On the stand alone set up but keeping my current tune, when i asked about this on the tronic tuning forum the response i got back was:

You should be able to keep the tune but it will need some modifications to disable immobiliser and speed signal shenanigans.

-None of the Trionic family ECUs are particularly happy about running without a speed signal so it must be worked around one way or another.
Trionic 5 is very simple since it only needs a square signal. You can cheat it in several ways.
Trionic 7 has some firmwares that accepts a pwm speed signal. Also quite easy to manufacture one way or another. Those that can't be driven that way will need a software modification.
Trionic 8.. wow. You are brave :D

Immo is successively also getting more annoying with each iteration:
t5: Simple checkbox in t5suite.
t7/t8: Either find a special firmware or patch your existing one

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/20 8:24 p.m.

Dang! I never used t7/8 but I thought I'd be exactly like t5 suite (ie a checkbox to shut off the immobilizer).

What is the speed signal coming from? Not the trans? Maybe abs tone rings for some or all wheels.

Yeah a .bin file is a binary file, usually means a tune. Ie you would upload a fresh .bin file if you wanted to load different fuel maps into the ecu. A bin patch sounds like someone has figured out what to modify manually in the .bin file to turn the immobilizer off.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/5/20 8:25 p.m.

Your other option is to see if you can swap on a Chevy ecu and use hp tuners...

Edit re read your first post and you are well aware of this option.

4/6/20 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah. I will keep both options open for now.

Do you know if I go the Chevy option for the ecu, would I need the specific cobalt ss supercharged ecu? Or If I would use HP tuners any EcoTec ecu would work?

Trying to keep this challenged price so just looking to start pricing out this option. 

dculberson (Forum Supporter)
dculberson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/6/20 8:13 a.m.

I have never used T8suite, or any Saab tuner package, but most programmers have the ability to download the tune that's currently in the ECU to your computer and then edit it and send it back. You'll want to do that sort of thing if it's possible.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
4/6/20 11:11 a.m.

In reply to dculberson (Forum Supporter) :

That is exactly what you do with t5 suite, I assume t7/8 is the same. However, the suites did have access to the various Saab factory tubes, so if you needed to go back to factory you could pick your vehicle options and get that tune.

For the Chevy ecu question, the hptuners website lists all the ecus it supports, so maybe that will help answer that question.

4/6/20 12:18 p.m.

In reply to dculberson (Forum Supporter) :

You can still do the tune from a far option with the T8.  However it seems the issue is getting it to be stand alone.

The tuner that the PO said tuned this ecu, when I contacted him about setting it up stand alone said it couldn't be done. 

The info that I posted from before was from and open source free tuning sight where most members are from outside the US from what it seems  

So I am thinking may really just be better off swapping over GM stuff and using the LSJ ecu if it fits in the budget. 

4/6/20 12:22 p.m.

To update my list if want to use GM LSJ ecu would need from cobalt ss:

ECU

Engine wire harness

coil packs 

coil wire harness

injector wire harness 

cam sensor 

chevy drive by wire pedal 

then the sensor on the Saab throttle body would need the wiring changed to make wiring for cobalt ss? 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dknHkDdx2iVVuDsQF0dLDOeDag8wZ3jqd0sS0aRnJgrQqT9wHVJGlE8moKrUPbk6