patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/18/09 3:54 p.m.

two things made me sad. the 2nd 2 pics make me just sick to my stomach.

if you dont recognize the stripped hulk, #2 is an absolutely mint rust free perfect GMC typhoon. the front frame looks like it may have suffered a small engine fire. EVERYTHING is gone except the glass, carpet, dash shell, and front cv's and spindles. the only thing worth taking still there is the jumbo large front sway bar. the MG was in very good condition, did not appear repainted, and only had rust in front of the rear wheels.

plance1
plance1 HalfDork
11/18/09 4:18 p.m.

please tell us you didn't climb under the MG...

Carson
Carson Dork
11/18/09 4:34 p.m.

We have a complete MGB in our local yard with some decently rust-free wire knock off wheels. I was surprised, especially when parked next to the sea of completely striped Altimas and the like.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
11/18/09 4:40 p.m.
patgizz wrote: if you dont recognize the stripped hulk, #2 is an absolutely mint rust free perfect GMC typhoon. the front frame looks like it may have suffered a small engine fire. EVERYTHING is gone except the glass, carpet, dash shell, and front cv's and spindles. the only thing worth taking still there is the jumbo large front sway bar.

Sounds to me like those parts are going on to live new lives. This isn't nearly as disappointing as seeing "C4C" or "CFC" written all over the windshield, indicating that the perfectly good engine was destroyed on purpose, and that the chassis will be crushed in a matter of days/weeks, long before folks like us have time to pick the chassis clean of all its useful bits.

Bryce

patgizz
11/18/09 4:57 p.m.

its probably all on ebay making the first guy that got there and saw it a fortune

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
11/18/09 5:22 p.m.

About a year ago, I went to the Rt. 14 junkyard in Woodstock, IL. Kinda crappy, but its all we got. And what I saw gave me chills. Three 54 Chevys, a shoebox Ford and a Hudson. (Sheds a tear.) I have no idea why they were there. Counter guys were either tight lipped or looked at me like I was a math problem when I asked about them. Ungh!

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
11/18/09 7:30 p.m.

patgizz...can you buy vehicles from that yard?

gravityfed
gravityfed New Reader
11/18/09 8:29 p.m.

i know that you cant buy whole cars out of there.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
11/18/09 11:31 p.m.

Its common to see mgs like that here. I was actually expecting alot worse when i clicked on this. The typhoon is kinda depressing, they are at the stage all but the best examples are worth more as parts though. For example, i saw an audi ur quattro that it looked like someone had gutted the car and cut the fenders out for a wide body kit, then decided to send it to the salvage yard. A little way down the row was an 70k miles mk2 golf, and lots of other stuff. I saw a perfect tr6 one time, i went and asked if it was for sale, and since i had no intention of buying it i told them what it was worth, and it was gone shortly after, i hope someone bought it to do something with it rather than them crushing it so people wouldnt bug them about it (I saw that happen with a 68 camaro once).

2002maniac
2002maniac Reader
11/18/09 11:56 p.m.

I was expecting an obituary of a poor guy getting crushed by a car.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA HalfDork
11/19/09 2:29 a.m.

pat, don't ever come to southern CA. You'll see stuff in our Pick-A-Parts that will make you cry. FIAT 124s and X-19s with no rust. Mint-looking Mercedes. Perfectly straight BMWs including 2002s. We won't even discuss the British iron. Not to mention the 240Zs and the Datsun 1600s......

The only cars with rust came from somewhere else. I've been here 20 years since moving from New England and it STILL brings a tear to my eye.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 HalfDork
11/19/09 6:16 a.m.

i found a yugo gv plus in a junkyard this past weekend, called the place and they said they couldnt sell it... i think i had a tear fall from my eye

patgizz
11/19/09 7:38 a.m.

hmm

they sell frames and they sell pickup cabs complete without doors.

i wonder if they would sell me the typhoon body shell as a pickup cab and let me pull them out without separating the body from the frame.

jrw1621
jrw1621 Dork
11/19/09 7:55 a.m.

From seeing the photo, what benifit would you gain from getting that Typhoon body over a regular Blazer body?

Seems like a lot to pay for a VIN sticker, especially if that VIN can not be re-titled.

patgizz
11/19/09 9:06 a.m.

In reply to jrw1621:

i live in cleveland so that body and frame are immaculate compared to any same era blazer within 800 miles

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
11/19/09 9:33 a.m.

I ran the VIN of the typhoon through GM VIS. Truck was sold in Texas, Fully loaded. Never had a warranty claim in it's entire period.

Sad :(

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/19/09 2:17 p.m.

If the Ty had an engine comp. fire, insurance co. most likely totalled it in a hurry. Even a minor fire is big bucks to fix at dealer prices. Add in very expensive parts and it's all over. It's sad. A couple of GRMer's most likely could have fixed it for a few hundred dollars and lots of sweat.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
11/19/09 3:52 p.m.

At least someone got the parts. It's really sad when you see them going into the crusher at the back of the lot nearly whole. I have seen them shovel in the crusher decent RX7s, MBs. Porsches, MR2s, MGs, Jags, Corvairs.....well you get the idea. I can't help but think how many parts could still be useable for people like us. Terrible to watch but I can't turn away.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
11/19/09 4:54 p.m.

There's a Datsun 210 Roadster in the U Pull and Pay in Cincinnati, at least there was last Sunday.

YaNi
YaNi Reader
11/19/09 5:45 p.m.

That West Cleveland Pull a Part has the most rusted RX-7 I've ever seen. There isn't a useable piece of steel on the entire car. Good finds, there isn't usually too much to get excited about.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
11/22/09 4:11 a.m.

Damn shame about the Typhoon, I love those trucks...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m8ZbiZmEQ54mqNKCrEx6rzfH2MtJkgf9nMcdPFsRyskoPlFKJj5IBHwzO8EfD2LC