P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/10 1:22 p.m.

I started stripping the Hornet today. After finding terminal structural rust-through (front and rear subframes, floor corners, both rockers) and figuring out it was more expensive to fix the car than buy a rust free one I decided to part it out. I pulled off the few new items I had installed to keep them for myself and pulled my first "order" off of the car. I'm already up quite a few hundred on it, but it was kind of sad to take apart an interior that nice.

I'm kind of excited about the Wagon, but I was given a "HELL NO!!!" on the option of keeping it, so I will try and sell it whole first then strip it if I can't get any bites.

I need a Javelin. Then it'll be a "pretty" AMC, and I can paint it Red/White/Blue and not look like (much of) a doorknob.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/3/10 2:03 p.m.

Sad to hear that, it did look pretty good in the pictures...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/3/10 4:13 p.m.

that is a real shame.. lots of potential.. eaten by the tinworm

P71
4/3/10 6:04 p.m.

If it was an SC/360 it would have been worth saving (AMC made ~825 of them) but as a base model Hornet, it just isn't worth it. I would need an entire floorpan, both front and rear subframes, a pair of rockers, all of the crossmembers, and a pair of 1/4's.

Poor little guy never had a chance

Volksroddin
Volksroddin Dork
4/3/10 8:12 p.m.

sorry about your lose.

Kia_racer
Kia_racer Reader
4/3/10 8:26 p.m.

I saw an AMC wagon over in Azle north of Ft.Worth. But it is probably a little too far for you to travel to look at.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
4/3/10 11:00 p.m.

A tube chassis and some early Pro Stock inspiration would get that Hornet a second life.

Putting the Hornet front clip on the wagon didn't get the wagon any hope of staying?

-Rob

P71
4/4/10 9:08 a.m.

Well, the Hornet front clip is pretty much shot (fenders and valance are rusted, hood is rough) and the booty on the wagon is pretty homely. Granted she thought the Hornet was damn ugly to begin with, so even if the stuff was nice I don't think it would do me any good.

A tube chassis would give the Hornet a second chance. Got $10K I can have to do that?

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
4/4/10 9:11 a.m.
P71 wrote: A tube chassis would give the Hornet a second chance. Got $10K I can have to do that?

Nah, I just come up with crazy ideas and plant the seeds.

-Rob

SillyImportRacer
SillyImportRacer New Reader
4/4/10 5:59 p.m.

I feel your pain. My 69 Beetle looks nice...'till you crawl under it. The wife wants me to keep it so its resting comfortably in the corner of the garage.

P71
4/4/10 7:04 p.m.

We took the front seats out today and found a hole the size of my cat The floor had rusted and stuck to the carpet making it look not as bad as it was. Poor, poor car. More parts gone, more money here, more tears (and blood) shed.

On the other hand, I am furiously working a deal to trade some stuff for a 1969 AMC Javelin! Trans Am clone here I come...

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
4/4/10 7:18 p.m.
P71 wrote: On the other hand, I am furiously working a deal to trade some stuff for a 1969 AMC Javelin! Trans Am clone here I come...

Good luck that sound sweet

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
4/4/10 7:40 p.m.

Funny this should come up; last weekend I went to check on my dad's boat. There was a Gremlin X (yes, an X. Also has a '5 liter' badge on the tailgate) in dry storage at the place where the boat is currently kept.

P71
4/4/10 7:58 p.m.

The "X" package was just a trim level. The "5 Litre" is far more important, that means it's a factory V8 car. It's a 304 V8 and should be paired with either a BW 904 Auto trans or a T-10 4-Speed. Remember all AMC's use the same block dimensions, so if a 304 is in there a 360, 390, or 401 literally just falls right in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JWfgfGRzspWMNQxOdUzoYsmwCHWDF4Gvr22cn8G3H7OQm1vS6EJ1vqse0J4EPTOz