P71 SuperDork
April 3, 2010 1:22 p.m.

I started stripping the Hornet today. After finding terminal structural rust-through (front and rear subframes, floor corners, both rockers) and figuring out it was more expensive to fix the car than buy a rust free one I decided to part it out. I pulled off the few new items I had installed to keep them for myself and pulled my first "order" off of the car. I'm already up quite a few hundred on it, but it was kind of sad to take apart an interior that nice.

I'm kind of excited about the Wagon, but I was given a "HELL NO!!!" on the option of keeping it, so I will try and sell it whole first then strip it if I can't get any bites.

I need a Javelin. Then it'll be a "pretty" AMC, and I can paint it Red/White/Blue and not look like (much of) a doorknob.

BoxheadTim Dork
April 3, 2010 2:03 p.m.

Sad to hear that, it did look pretty good in the pictures...

mad_machine SuperDork
April 3, 2010 4:13 p.m.

that is a real shame.. lots of potential.. eaten by the tinworm

P71 SuperDork
April 3, 2010 6:04 p.m.

If it was an SC/360 it would have been worth saving (AMC made ~825 of them) but as a base model Hornet, it just isn't worth it. I would need an entire floorpan, both front and rear subframes, a pair of rockers, all of the crossmembers, and a pair of 1/4's.

Poor little guy never had a chance

April 3, 2010 8:12 p.m.

sorry about your lose.

Kia_racer Reader
April 3, 2010 8:26 p.m.

I saw an AMC wagon over in Azle north of Ft.Worth. But it is probably a little too far for you to travel to look at.

Rob_Mopar Reader
April 3, 2010 11:00 p.m.

A tube chassis and some early Pro Stock inspiration would get that Hornet a second life.

Putting the Hornet front clip on the wagon didn't get the wagon any hope of staying?

-Rob

P71 SuperDork
April 4, 2010 9:08 a.m.

Well, the Hornet front clip is pretty much shot (fenders and valance are rusted, hood is rough) and the booty on the wagon is pretty homely. Granted she thought the Hornet was damn ugly to begin with, so even if the stuff was nice I don't think it would do me any good.

A tube chassis would give the Hornet a second chance. Got $10K I can have to do that?

Rob_Mopar Reader
April 4, 2010 9:11 a.m.
P71 wrote: A tube chassis would give the Hornet a second chance. Got $10K I can have to do that?

Nah, I just come up with crazy ideas and plant the seeds.

-Rob

SillyImportRacer New Reader
April 4, 2010 5:59 p.m.

I feel your pain. My 69 Beetle looks nice...'till you crawl under it. The wife wants me to keep it so its resting comfortably in the corner of the garage.

P71 SuperDork
April 4, 2010 7:04 p.m.

We took the front seats out today and found a hole the size of my cat The floor had rusted and stuck to the carpet making it look not as bad as it was. Poor, poor car. More parts gone, more money here, more tears (and blood) shed.

On the other hand, I am furiously working a deal to trade some stuff for a 1969 AMC Javelin! Trans Am clone here I come...

April 4, 2010 7:18 p.m.
P71 wrote: On the other hand, I am furiously working a deal to trade some stuff for a 1969 AMC Javelin! Trans Am clone here I come...

Good luck that sound sweet

Jensenman SuperDork
April 4, 2010 7:40 p.m.

Funny this should come up; last weekend I went to check on my dad's boat. There was a Gremlin X (yes, an X. Also has a '5 liter' badge on the tailgate) in dry storage at the place where the boat is currently kept.

P71 SuperDork
April 4, 2010 7:58 p.m.

The "X" package was just a trim level. The "5 Litre" is far more important, that means it's a factory V8 car. It's a 304 V8 and should be paired with either a BW 904 Auto trans or a T-10 4-Speed. Remember all AMC's use the same block dimensions, so if a 304 is in there a 360, 390, or 401 literally just falls right in.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

1 day ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

1 day ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI 4Motion

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

Say hello to the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S with 4Motion. It comes with a turbocharged 1.8-liter engine that is ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

1 day ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

1 day ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Your Projects: smokindav’s VW GTI Project

1 day ago in News

Love a good MK5 GTI? You might enjoy this build thread.

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

2 days ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

You Need This: 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi

2 days ago in News

For sale: one of Suzuki's under-appreciated hot hatches.

Buyer's Guide: Chevy Cobalt SS

2 days ago in Articles

All the information you'll need on GM’s entry in the sport compact wars.

Wednesday Night GRM Live: Are You Using the Right Chemicals for the Job?

3 days ago in News

What do all these cans even do!?!?

Project SVT Focus Gets Caught Up on Maintenance

3 days ago in Project Cars

Once again, some off-road action sent our project focus under the knife.

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
bTX76CfphNXrOt3V6Mxx7Q3WIlqlsnKU