Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
2/7/18 10:33 a.m.

A lot of people talk about installing a junkyard supercharger. Quite a few even start to do it. But then reality kicks in, causing many of these projects to stall out and remain unfinished.

We’ve put together junkyard turbo setups before–witness our Miata endurance racer–but wanted to jump in with a DIY supercharger build of our own. We wanted to …

Read the rest of the story

jdoc90
jdoc90 New Reader
2/7/18 7:53 p.m.

Great info ,now my volvo 240 is crying for boost for the moose . I have to do things in the amish garage lol hand and battery power only for now and a turbo ecm should work under boost lots of room under the hood too ,the only issue may be the pulleys are all v-belt not serpentine , but where there is a will there is a way . 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/18 9:34 p.m.

The belt tensioner you used is the ac belt tensioner used on many lsx  based cars and trucks. If you need a YMM use an 03 GMC Sierra Denali 6.0l AWD. Ask for the AC belt tensioner.  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/7/18 9:35 p.m.

Also how come no bypass valve?  Or is that built into the suppercharger?  

ErikTheSwede
ErikTheSwede New Reader
2/8/18 5:56 p.m.
jdoc90 said:

Great info ,now my volvo 240 is crying for boost for the moose . I have to do things in the amish garage lol hand and battery power only for now and a turbo ecm should work under boost lots of room under the hood too ,the only issue may be the pulleys are all v-belt not serpentine , but where there is a will there is a way . 

Get on the Florida Volvo community page on Facebook and ask about the serpentine setup for the redblock cars. Someone posted on how to convert it. If I were you I would just do a junkyard turbo setup and have fun with it

Jimbo455rocket
Jimbo455rocket
8/17/18 3:30 p.m.

Great write up, i like what you guys are doing. But i noticed a problem that maybe costing you some boost. Your belt tensioner is on the drive side of the belt. I would imagine there is considerable belt slip under hard throttle.  

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
8/17/18 3:52 p.m.

In reply to Jimbo455rocket :

Good catch on the tensioner.  When we did the first iteration, it was on the wrong side, but it didn't slip so Jack left it for awhile.  He eventually moved it to the proper side of the belt.

By the way if you want to see the rest of the details and where this car is now, follow the build thread.  You'll see it's got an intercooler now and more power.  

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
8/17/18 6:05 p.m.

In reply to Carl Heideman :

Along those lines but completely different chassis. MGTD , TC, and even TF with minor body modification use that same supercharger ( Eaton 45) in an aftermarket kit. That Sells for $4595.!  Yes almost 46 hundred dollars.  

Except for a nice intake manifold casting and drive system. It’s really the same.  Oops, a SU carburetor.is added to the intake side. 

A stock T series engine makes 54 horsepower so a supercharger will increase power by 40% means about 76 horsepower.  

$100 and some fabricating. To save $4500 seems like a deal to me

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WGiUS63PZjE0mDeg0VoXddoVFmR1exOzdhEdmZ6x8k0hBtlHxGtHv9qXD72cKLIG