frankenstangsghost
frankenstangsghost New Reader
3/30/11 12:06 p.m.

http://www.sammio-spyder.com/home.html

Here's the tentative deal so far. If we bring in 5+ kits he'll sell them for $1600 USD. That would be the basic kit: body support, body, grille and windscreen, LHD or RHD. The best price he got for shipping was about $3000, or $600 per kit. That prices the (delivered) kits at $2200 each. I'm sure other fees will arise along the way but feel confident that a kit can be had for under $2500. Anybody want in? I don't have an answer as to how long it will take to put the kits together or duration of shipping. I was hoping to pick up in Detroit in July. You will be responsible for pick up from the New Boston/Romulus, Mi. area. Once again, I'm not affiliated in any way with the Sammio guys and I am not profiting from this in any way. I just want one of their bodies. :)

I will mention, Mr. Janes says he can source RHD steering racks as well.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/11 12:43 p.m.
Dave said: I just want ... their bodies. :)

I LOL'd myself.

Dave,

I have a guy in Lansing that is showing interest in two. He did ask if Mr. Janes has a fender lip to fender lip measurement of the width of the body. Also he need to verify the donor car uses its factory wheel base. (Inner or outer is fine but he needs to be sure his chassis can work)

JmfnB

frankenstangsghost
3/30/11 1:02 p.m.

In reply to John Brown:

It's based on the stock Herald wheelbase, 91". The rocker panel is 65" front to back. I don't know about the overall width, but judging by the pictures it's a few inches wider than a Herald.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Herald

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/11 1:16 p.m.

Bobby is not worried about wheel base, The Herald has a notoriously narrow track and he wants to be sure the chassis he HAS will work without flares or severe modification.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
3/30/11 1:17 p.m.

if anyone wants to make an interesting period kind of car here in SEMI, I have a basic Alfa Giulietta 750 powertrain- 1300 cc single carb + 4 speed tunnel case trans, plus front suspension, rear axle, drum brakes, steering, etc etc. If you can find some wire wheel adaptors, you would have classic drum brakes that you can see- very ferrari like. And these are good drum set ups.

Somehow, the Giulietta I got 17 years ago came with enough spare parts for a Locost, and it would be virtually perfect with this body. I just don't have time myself to do it.

It would be a Locost adaptation to the glass body.

Not free, but not obnoxious cost.

Eric

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
3/30/11 6:54 p.m.

Rospit.......300hp potential, hell yeah

frankenstangsghost
3/31/11 1:07 a.m.
racinginc215 wrote: I'm willing to lend storage if you purchase and can't pick up at time of delivery.

That's good to know. From what I understand, 6 kits will fit in a 20' container. That drops the shipping price down by $100. Builder needs 1 week per kit plus 3-4 at sea. I'll have more tomorrow night. I forgot to email my correspondence from work.

The car that went to France:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/579690423BgHFLY

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
3/31/11 7:37 a.m.

Given how similar a Herald is to a Spitfire, could a Spitfire donor be used instead? Those are considerably more common in the US. It seems only the firewall and floor pan are kept from the original tub?

frankenstangsghost
3/31/11 10:50 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Given how similar a Herald is to a Spitfire, could a Spitfire donor be used instead? Those are considerably more common in the US. It seems only the firewall and floor pan are kept from the original tub?

The Spitfire's wheel base is 7" shorter and it has no "outriggers". I like the reversed photo of the Spit frame. The carbs are on the wrong side...

frankenstangsghost
4/1/11 11:03 a.m.
Hi, I reckon we can get 6 in a 20' container. I can give you a couple of Headrests , yes ...and some RHD racks would be ok....I wouldn't mind a couple of LHD racks myself ! As far as customs are concerned - not sure but its not a complete vehicle , so not much...... I can have 5 kits ready in 5 weeks....I would need to know the LHD / RHD ratio. Paypal address ****************.com I would need a deposit to get going of £300 per unit. Balance payable at completion. I can take photos of us loading etc...for your interest and peace of mind. I think this is really cool - I'm happy to help as much as I can. If you are thinking June / July , bearing in mind , I need 5 weeks and the box will probably take 3-4 weeks minimum to make the journey , you need to be acting fairly quickly. THANK YOU Gary

He seems like a pretty reasonable guy. Any takers?

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/7/11 3:14 p.m.

I am in negotiatins with SHMBO. How soon does this have to be put together?

frankenstangsghost
5/2/11 1:47 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: I am in negotiatins with SHMBO. How soon does this have to be put together?

I've been kinda stalled on it. Sometime this summer. PM me for a quicker response. Thanx!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hmpqVmtsVNdS0MBwsIpSO3vUQmFa9ggEKw4fjGFpQmDIljN7p11FIAze84PMt7yu