1 2 3 4
ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/30/11 6:37 p.m.

There is one stick available out of state, but shippable. Base model, second choice color.

Buying a new car hasn't turned out to be nearly as much fun as I thought it would be, even knowing going in that I hate dealerships.

EDIT: Hell, the dealerships haven't even been all that painful through the looking-and-test-driving phase.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Reader
11/30/11 8:25 p.m.

I've noticed that dealers are a WHOLE bunch more laid back than last time I bought a new car. I didn't have a single issue. Hope you find what you are looking for.

rocketrich
rocketrich New Reader
12/3/11 3:02 p.m.

I've got 47K on my '09 manual TDI Sportwagen. I love it. First diesel I've ever owned and now I'm definitely going to consider a diesel again. Its given me no trouble and I get about 42-44 mpg on a 41 mile commute to work each day, each way. At highway speeds its quiet and comfortable. It uses some special VW spec synthetic oil and I change it every 5K. I also have a '02 1.8T Jetta I purchased new in summer '01 with about 110K miles -- still running quite well.

PS I had to search long and hard to find that TDI Sportwagen --then drove about 4 hours to get it. Well worth it.

ransom
12/3/11 5:28 p.m.

I really liked that TDI Sportwagen, but even if I could find a manual with the options I want, I don't think I can gamble on it 'til I at least hear that they've addressed the high pressure fuel pump issue. I was almost okay with general VW Roulette, but this sounds like a known-mostly-but-not-entirely-acknowledged issue that could total a car once it has some miles on it and is out of warranty. $7-10k in damage is crazy, and some cars have had it occur multiple times.

I wish I had the Real Scoop. I'm baffled that it hasn't been rectified in the pump design. (For those who didn't follow the link, the roller on the piston that rides a cam lobe to drive the high pressure pump can rotate in its bore, at which point the roller just slides sideways along the cam, they destroy each other, and the metal filings take out the rest of the fuel system).

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/3/11 5:35 p.m.

My 2010 Fit gets me no better than 28mpg even all highway. Its an autotragic and on even the slightest grade it shifts into 4th and revs its brains out. I imagine a manual would spend a lot of time in 4th on the highway as well, especially with passengers. I should also mention I cruise at about 80mph, but I bet the VW is just getting into its groove at that speed rather than starting to run out of breath.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/3/11 5:40 p.m.
ransom wrote: it looks like 3-6 months before any hope of a manual TDI wagon, with also rumblings that they're just flat discontinuing the model...

This is usually sales-speak for "I'm too lazy to get you the car you want so you should buy what I have on the lot and be happy I'm even talking to you". Go to the website and build the car you want. If it says you can buy what you want with a manual than you can. Call around until you find a dealer who will get you what you want.

njansenv
njansenv HalfDork
12/3/11 7:14 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: The new VW TDI's are rated at 42 mpg while the Prius is rated 48 so I don't get where you're seeing a 1 mpg difference.

I said "highway" ;) The numbers are from the quoted article earlier in this thread. Here, diesel is costlier than gas in the winter, cheaper in the summer: it's a wash.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-hybrid by any means - the more good technology we get to improve efficiency of the appliances the better. The majority of Hybrids are approaching mileage that the owner of a 10 year old TDI would consider average. Depending on your use and patience for all things german, a 10 year old TDI might be a more cost effective purchase for some, that's all. (It was for me)

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
12/3/11 8:11 p.m.

Buy one of each, you can drive the Honda to the shop to visit the VW.

ransom
12/4/11 1:47 a.m.

In reply to Junkyard_Dog:

Actually, that wasn't the dealer. It's an auto-buying service through my credit union that a friend has bought a couple of cars through, and they've been really good about finding exactly what he wanted, across many dealers and several states. That's the guy that was able to find one manual in California with no options they could ship up here... He was happy to help me find any other make, model, what-have-you, but manual TDIs were essentially nearly hen's teeth.

He could still be wrong, too, but I've given up on the TDI 'til they formally fix the high pressure pump anyway. We considered a gas one since we liked the drive so much, but VW only offers a stick in the base trim with no options available. The mid and upper trim packages are auto-only...

At this point I'm actually eyeing a WRX, since we're basically looking at a stopgap car since what we really want (a wagon with good driving dynamics, a nice interior, and great mileage) apparently doesn't exist right now; might as well have fun 'til someone builds it. The CX-5 looks promising, though I'm loathe to consider a crossover. The 2012 Impreza is intriguing, but apparently they all have holds on them thanks to defective master cylinders? (more rumors, all I know for certain is the local Subaru dealer doesn't have any). I just about puked when I checked Volvo's site and discovered that they now only build sedans and crossovers. Volvo not building a wagon? Bizarre...

ransom
12/4/11 1:51 a.m.

OMFG. Just went back to consider option B.4 stroke zed... But you can't get a four-door Golf with a gas engine and manual trans (according to VW's site) in ANY trim level. Two-doors, yes. Four, no.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
12/4/11 9:37 a.m.
njansenv wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: The new VW TDI's are rated at 42 mpg while the Prius is rated 48 so I don't get where you're seeing a 1 mpg difference.
I said "highway" ;) The numbers are from the quoted article earlier in this thread.

that was for the Prius V - different than the prius (mazda 5 sized)

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/11 1:05 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: You should read Busted Knuckles from last month's issue. Per just got rid of a Sportvagen TDI because it was crazy-boring to drive.

My Dad has one and I have to agree.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Dork
12/5/11 1:31 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
njansenv wrote:
I said "highway" ;) The numbers are from the quoted article earlier in this thread.
that was for the Prius V - different than the prius (mazda 5 sized)

Yeah the V is van sized, 70 some-odd cubic feet of cargo space in the back with the seats folded flat.

E_AT_me
E_AT_me New Reader
12/5/11 2:00 p.m.

Kia Forte Wagon/hatch thing? saw one the other day while driving my wife's 08 Fit sport.. which has 87k miles on it. 5 speed manual and gets average 31-33 mpg combined. had it on summit main earlier in the day.. :D and i've autocrossed it a few times. it's a nice little package that's very well built and is holding together very well.

but the Kia Forte 5 door hatch... may be something to look at, if you can get past the badge..

E_AT_me
E_AT_me New Reader
12/5/11 2:19 p.m.

edit: never mind, they are only available in autos.. that's stupid.. otherwise, decent looking car.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/5/11 2:25 p.m.
ransom wrote: OMFG. Just went back to consider option B.4 stroke zed... But you can't get a four-door Golf with a gas engine and manual trans (according to VW's site) in ANY trim level. Two-doors, yes. Four, no.

Sure you can. And it comes with sweet interior fabric too..

GTI! It's alot of car for $24K but I'm thinking you were hoping for a more normal Golf then that..

ransom
12/5/11 2:27 p.m.

In reply to E_AT_me:

Thanks, the Fit is definitely still on the list. The current state is waiting for a local dealer to get some of the 2012 Impreza 5-doors in. I think I've talked myself down from the WRX thoughts.

My late, lamented E30 was built for 60% of the difference between an Impreza and a WRX...

Also, I'm going to have to replace the truck soon. Ugh.

ransom
12/5/11 2:33 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

Hrm... I liked my previous (A1) GTI...

Dangit! In all honesty, I was a bit relieved to have dismissed VW from consideration. OTOH, the GTI is compelling. That is a lot of car. It's got plenty of power to be genuinely quick, and dosen't take nearly the WRX's economy hit.

That's going to require serious consideration. Thanks, I think!

nocones
12/5/11 2:39 p.m.

I had an 08 that I loved. I made the mistake of getting the DSG though I am certian I would still have it if it was a 6-speed. The DSG is a neat piece but between maintenance costs and eventual boredom the car moved on. I miss it's overall niceness and it had good handling/feel. What a way to eat up highway miles. The GTI really is the cheapest Audi.

ransom
12/5/11 2:58 p.m.

In reply to nocones:

Could you clarify "maintenance costs and eventual boredom"? Was that DSG issues or general VW issues?

I'd love to be able to enjoy the household appliance, but even the Fit would be a marked improvement over the old Civic. Getting from point A to point B trumps having fun at the expense of going from Point A to the dealer too freqeuntly...

nocones
12/5/11 3:17 p.m.

Synthetic only oil changes @ $90 per was the only general thing. I put 45k on it with no issues. The $700 DSG service it was over due for was the big one. My coworker has one than has 70k on it and has needed a A/C compressor otherwise its been flawless for him.
Boredom was due to the DSG. Having the car heal toe for you is only fun for so long. We decided I didn't want to own it long term and out of warrenty so I got rid of it while it still had good resale. I got 18k out of it so I didn't do to bad. The only reason I got rid of it was the DSG I used it on a 35 mile each way comute and got 31ish Mpg.

nocones
12/5/11 3:26 p.m.

My FIL has a Fit 09 5speed. It's fun to drive and he gets 35ish highway. Everytime I drive it the trip computer claims 37 for the tank he is on but it is optimistic by 3 mpg or so.
It's fun to drive plenty of space and good around town car. That said on the highway I HATE it. It's loud, revs quite high and has very little power at speed. The nimble below 60 handling turns darty and nervous feeling at 80. It's fine for shorter trips but we took it on a 3 hour trip and it just wore on you. Decide for yourself but if you look at one make sure to spend ample time at highway speeds when you test drive it.

getfast
getfast Reader
12/6/11 10:03 a.m.
rollins111 wrote: Did you consider the Golf TDI instead of the Jetta? The back seat is fine for me (6ft), you have the versatility of the hatch and the interior is much nicer than the Jetta (hasn't been cheapened yet). I bought a 2012 Golf TDI with 6-speed manual 3 weeks ago and am averaging about 47 mpg so far. It has the GTI seats with different fabric that are awesome. As far as reliability - I can't say. I drove mine for a week and then it's been in the shop for 10 days now. Some computer-related part failed on it. So it may be a turd but it's a really comfortable, torquey turd.

Former '10 Golf TDI owner here. Put 17k miles on the car with no mechanical issues. It got 48+ mpg highway regularly. Had a few squeaks/rattles and the driver's seat cover was replaced under warranty and a bunch of recalls were done, otherwise no problems. Sold recently when I ordered a '12 GTI. Hopefully that will be as good...

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
12/6/11 6:28 p.m.

When I bought my TDi wagon back in '03, I had to order it and wait 8-10 weeks. I knew this prior to going in, but the dealer tried to find one anyway. There was one car in the pipeline that was close to my specs, but it was an order as well. The dealer on the other end of the phone said something like, "if I had a nickle for every call I've had about that car..."

So it would not surprise me if a manual wagon was hard to find, even with the increased popularity of TDi's today.

ransom
12/6/11 6:40 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

I'm really curious about the assertion that they're discontinuing the Sportwagen. Looking around Portland that sounds absurd, but we're funny like that. It's a sea of Sportwagens, Foresters, and Volvo wagons...

In any case, the '09-on TDI sounds like a time bomb to me at this point. Might not go boom while I own it. Might go off under warranty and "only" cost me a couple of weeks with no car. But a known defect that can happen multiple times with no known fix and a $7k price tag is not a reasonable gamble in my book.

I keep wondering what percentage of people it's happened to (and other tricks to try to make it sound reasonable to myself), but the repercussions are too expensive to do it unless it was incredibly rare.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4SZevt4Kv6c5PhjH5jfadZyFRHA6yzecFHvJomST72xxqQfK3n438pgF9gnA1MDG