thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/19 2:33 a.m.

To preface: I've read through the SCCA rule book and am about to buy numbers for my car. Just looking for confirmation before I spend any money. 

I've got an torsen-equipped 99 NB with a K&N filter, Porterfield R4S pads, and 15x8 Advanti Storms wrapped with 205/50-15 S-Drives. I'm pretty sure the wheels alone put me in STR. Is that correct?

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
3/8/19 4:47 a.m.

Yes

NickD
NickD UberDork
3/8/19 5:09 a.m.

You are correct

thatsnowinnebago
3/8/19 9:55 a.m.

Sweet thanks all. I'm looking forward to running a car that is both woefully unpreprepard AND outclassed cheeky

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
3/8/19 10:04 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

Sweet thanks all. I'm looking forward to running a car that is both woefully unpreprepard AND outclassed cheeky

A properly driven slow car will almost always beat a poorly driven fast car. See the former STF Forte.... 

thatsnowinnebago
3/8/19 10:27 a.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Haha, thanks for the vote of confidence. I'm honestly stoked to go racing again. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
3/8/19 10:56 a.m.

Sounds like you're on the path to have a good time.  If you have a few sheckles laying around you might consider picking up some factory wheels and RE-71s and calling yourself an ES racer.  You'd be MUCH closer to competitive which is kinda nice to prevent feeling disheartened about getting beat up by the S2Ks and NCs.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/19 11:08 a.m.

Talk to the local region and the people in ES. Your prep level is that of ES aside from the wheels. A reasonable individual would let you run in ES.

Then look for a set of 15x6 cause they're all over the place and cheeeeeeeeeap. I paid $100 for my 4 I had as race wheels for my 99. 

​​​​​​YMMV but I push hard to let people run in lower classes until they prove they shouldnt be there with their driving. It's a crucial part of retaining people is making them feel welcomed and keeping them competitive.

thatsnowinnebago
3/8/19 11:42 a.m.

I have thought about going the ES route and might move there later, especially considering how cheap stock wheels and little tiny RE-71s are (like y'all are saying). At this point, I just wanna go "fast," you know? I'm doing the Starting Line school in a couple of weeks and then the next day will be my first autocross in like 10 years. Should be a pretty killer weekend.

Edit: Just double checked the results for the first two events and everyone registered for the next, and the number I chose (89) is clear for STR and ES. So I'm all set for either class!

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/8/19 11:55 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

Sweet thanks all. I'm looking forward to running a car that is both woefully unprepared AND outclassed cheeky

Don't feel lonesome. I'm running a NB w/15X6.5 wheels, R71's, Header w/full Magnaflow exhaust system, Eibach ProKit springs on Bilstien shock and an open diff in CSP. Only competitive locally and not even a chance against the M3's in STR locally. But have loads of fun every time which is what really matters.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
3/8/19 12:22 p.m.

Pretty sure the Torsen puts you in STR as well.  I've got coilovers and an FM bar on mine, with 15x7s and 195 BFG SC2s, and I'm not competitive at all.  Not to mention my boy calls me Captain Slow for a reason.  But I'm getting faster, and I have a BOATLOAD of fun.

This pretty well describes my attitude towards the classing issue: 

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/19 12:28 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago said:

I have thought about going the ES route and might move there later, especially considering how cheap stock wheels and little tiny RE-71s are (like y'all are saying). At this point, I just wanna go "fast," you know? I'm doing the Starting Line school in a couple of weeks and then the next day will be my first autocross in like 10 years. Should be a pretty killer weekend.

Edit: Just double checked the results for the first two events and everyone registered for the next, and the number I chose (89) is clear for STR and ES. So I'm all set for either class!

The Starting Line school might be the best 300 bucks I've ever spent in my motorsports career. The class was totally worth it and you get something like 250 bucks worth of add-ons. I highly recommend it to anybody thinking about auto-x. The first exercise was worth the price of admission...

The key is to have an open mind and forget every thing you've ever thought about driving a car in cones.

thatsnowinnebago
3/8/19 12:55 p.m.

In reply to rdcyclist :

Right? It seems like such a good deal based on the perks alone. Entry to the next autocross, entry to the next Track Night in America, 1 yr SCCA membership, AND they teach me how to drive better?! I'd be a fool not to go for it as a noob.

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
3/8/19 1:14 p.m.

In reply to thatsnowinnebago :

Wow, looking at what the school offers, I wish they offered it local to me.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/8/19 1:19 p.m.
OldGray320i said:

Pretty sure the Torsen puts you in STR as well. 

Torsen is ES legal, there's enough looseness in the rules of ES for "comfort and convenience" to fill in any differences in what you have and what was in a trim level with a torsen.

I ran a 99 miata LS package with a Torsen because it was effectively a PEP package car that i "added leather to"

nobody cares... anyone at a national level at the front of the pack gets a true Hard S 99 or 00. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jZdOr9pR4Rj2ABkgr5id7yyvSm4Bx0kkraL9YM1jceXI6JXzVxrS789RpoEvzaQK