BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/11/09 4:55 p.m.

The Alfa 156 that I bought recently as a DD has a few "issues" and even though some of them seem to wear off as I pile some miles on it, there are some others that will get worse (read: expensive) as said miles pile on.

So, instead of doing what the reasonable person would do and buy a sensible, dull-as-dishwater European DD hatchback, The Wife and me went to look at an iconic late 80s/early 90s Italian hatchback with a well-deserved reputation for costly problems and fragility. Oh, and endless grip and reasonable performance. Plus, it dissolves quicker than a 70s Fiat in a bath of salt water.

Worse, we're even considering to buy it (if a paperwork-related issue can be sorted out) and stuff it in a container, US-bound, as soon as it's eligible, which will unfortunately take another five years.

Anybody seem my spare brain cell? I think I'll need it back.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/09 5:31 p.m.

You left it in the back of the Integrale. Of course, I'm just assuming that's what you're talking about...

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/11/09 6:36 p.m.

Sanity is boring anyways.

Stick with the fun stuff. I would much rather have a car that deserves a good cussing once in a while, than one that bored me to tears every time I climbed behind the wheel.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/09 7:45 p.m.

I agree... I really have a hatred of boring cars... of course some of my friends NEED boring cars as I am not sure they have enough mechanical knowledge to build furniture from Ikea

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/11/09 9:28 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I agree... I really have a hatred of boring cars... of course some of my friends NEED boring cars as I am not sure they have enough mechanical knowledge to build furniture from Ikea

Ouch, would hate to see what you say about those you don't call friends.....

mad_machine
10/11/09 10:32 p.m.

unfortunatlly I am not exagerating. I have one friend who buys nothing but beaters because he knows he will kill them in less than a year. I am not even sure he checks the oil

ThunderCougarFalconGoat
ThunderCougarFalconGoat New Reader
10/12/09 2:04 a.m.

Don't they come with oil from the factory?

BoxheadTim
10/12/09 7:45 a.m.
Keith wrote: You left it in the back of the Integrale. Of course, I'm just assuming that's what you're talking about...

Ah, that'll be why the trunk looked so full then . Yes, it was an Integrale - completely standard, must be one of the last 8V made. 8V Kat, which only seems to have been available in Germany and Switzerland. Unfortunately it's also the least powerful 8V...

The paperwork with the car seems to back up the current owner's suggestion that it only has had two owners from new - one in Italy, who ordered the car in Swiss spec, and the current owner.

Let's see how this goes, the paperwork issues looks like it's reasonably easy to fix but I'm still waiting for word back from the insurance as I'm a little concerned that they won't insure it unless it's garaged.

mad_machine
10/12/09 8:19 a.m.

trust us... you are looking to the wrong people to regain your sanity.

BoxheadTim
10/12/09 8:34 a.m.

That's why I like hanging out here

porksboy
porksboy Dork
10/12/09 8:45 a.m.

"Its great to be young and insane"

Ian F
Ian F HalfDork
10/12/09 8:50 a.m.

No kidding. I like hanging out here as some of the threads make my own wild ideas look almost realistic...

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/12/09 9:36 a.m.
Ian F wrote: No kidding. I like hanging out here as some of the threads make my own wild ideas look almost realistic...

I am quoting this because it needs more "Vote ups"

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
10/12/09 10:44 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: I agree... I really have a hatred of boring cars... of course some of my friends NEED boring cars as I am not sure they have enough mechanical knowledge to build furniture from Ikea

Quote for truth.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG Reader
10/12/09 10:58 a.m.

Most of my ideas pertaining to cars either start or end with "Because I'm stupid...." Sometimes both.

mad_machine
10/12/09 3:05 p.m.

usually mine are "because I want to.."

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tLZPR1rPLtvJfseTq6hP20MQQmgpBhvfofq1etVyIAET4qhdiVSIUvRWPJdxDCsF