1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/29/12 8:16 a.m.

I have the same hammer with the same sappy attachment. (It was my brothers and he gave it to me and has been with me through 3 houses, 2 wives, etc...)

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/29/12 8:23 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I've been swinging an Estwing now for 36 years. No other one can replace mine- I can feel the difference from other "identical" Estwings. I own a couple, but I know mine by feel.

This!!!!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/29/12 8:28 a.m.

I had one of those Estwings years ago when I was doing framing, drove easily a hundred thousand 16 penny nails over the 5 or so years I was doing it, never complained...that tool was a badass, truly. I loved that hammer, till some dick stole it from my box at work. I am sorry for your loss.

RossD
RossD UltraDork
5/29/12 8:50 a.m.

You should write some sappy letter to Estwing and send the 'remains' back to them. Then wait, and see what happens.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
5/29/12 9:02 a.m.

Damn, I read the thread title and thought Donald Trump died.

I have three Estwings - a leather handle 16 that was older than dirt when I bought it for a dollar at a flea market , and two rubber handle - a smooth 20 (my go-to) and a milled 24.

The newest is pushing 30 years. I can't imagine ever replacing them, but I know what I'd buy if I had to.

dean1484
5/29/12 10:29 a.m.

@ blue drop top: I almost had coffee out my nose when I read your post.

@ RossD: I should just copy this thread and include a link. I really don't see it as a warranty claim. There was / is a nick in the handel where it broke. If they wanted to be nice and get some good PR and replace it that would be great.

I can see where a design improvement could be made. I piece of metal should be welded to the leading and trailing edges of the shank where it broke that would act a a sacrificial buffer that would take all the nicks, dents etc and protect the structural portion of the shaft.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
5/29/12 10:46 a.m.

My father swings Estwings. Always. he has at least 5 of them. when i bought my 1st house, i asked him for one. he politely said no, but only because he had bought me two for my house warming gift. a standard 20 oz, and a really cool ergonomic one that i love.

i say weld it and gusset it and powdercoat the steel and carry on.

-J0N

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/29/12 10:52 a.m.

this thread needs moar titanium stiletto

porschenut
porschenut Reader
5/29/12 11:19 a.m.

Sad group we are, to mourn our tools! But I feel your pain. My grandfaher started me on the path to tool worship. When I was 7 he used to bring me something new for my tool box every visit. I learned to care for my wrenches early. Still have a couple box wrenches from him. Last year I broke a craftsman impact wrench that I have had since the 80s. Really upset me!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
5/29/12 12:31 p.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I broke my favourite ratchet years ago an no-one made that style anymore. Took a couple years of swapmeet table searching before I was able to replace it. It was like the Yoda of my toolbox.

Those are RARE.. fine tooth Craftsmen Ratchet... They ARE, or WERE available upto about 4 years ago.... only available in catalog if I remember correctly. I have both the 3/8 drive, and 1/4 drive of that style

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/29/12 1:34 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: this thread needs moar titanium stiletto

i'm sure that's a good hammer- if you don't mind spending a lot of money for a gimmicky hammer that isn't as good as a $20 hammer..

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/29/12 1:45 p.m.
novaderrik wrote:
i'm sure that's a good hammer- if you don't mind spending a lot of money for a gimmicky hammer that isn't as good as a $20 hammer..

If you made your living swinging hammers, then a Ti hammer would be worth the coin. If you use a hammer 7 times a year, then youre probably not in their market demographic. Titanium damps better than Steel, fatigues slower, does not corrode, and has significantly higher tensile strength. Yes, its cost prohibitive, but better in nearly every conceivable way.

Im curious how you can, with a straight face, say its not "as good as" a $20 hammer - on what grounds are making that judgement?

dean1484
5/29/12 4:26 p.m.

This looks like somthing that NASA must have developed.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WpmfEWP18jnRlMAU0U8vWyTaQbZ2SHSwjWy7tjdUYwg0NffHZzQKUbTBBEkwExDo