1 2 3
Kramer
Kramer Dork
8/20/14 8:54 p.m.

My brother froze an SBC once. It cracked at the top of the block, above the freeze plugs but below the heads. Pretty obvious, too. JB Weld fixed it for years, until I hauled it off for scrap. I think it was a 307.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/21/14 8:35 a.m.

Yep, replace plugs and pressure check. If it's ok, move on to oil pressure. Oil pump and bearings are easy and cheap at this point.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/21/14 8:52 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

This is what im hoping for. I have my doubts about it though.

Ive grabbed a pair of those expanding rubber freeze plugs to put in quick and easy to check cooling system integrity without yanking the motor tomorrow. Hopefully ill only yank once for a permenant repair and bearing replacement.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/22/14 8:16 a.m.

Block is cracked. berkeley.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/22/14 8:18 a.m.

Crap. Sorry dude.

Just look at it as an opportunity, for $150 you should leave the local JY with a one piece rear main seal/vortec headed beast that would be a better engine anyway.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/22/14 8:54 a.m.

Im hunting now. If you can get onethat cheap in gGreenville im driving down and buying you a six pack.

Cheapest here is 500.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/22/14 9:02 a.m.

The good JY just changed ownership, so the price sheet went up and got messed up. Here is what it is now.

Cost    Core

Engine Block Only $150.25 $50.00

Engine Package Carbureted $200.25 $75.00

But I don't understand if "Block" means short block, or literally just the block, or maybe the engine minus accessories. If you want one from that JY, I'll call to figure out their pricing and at least help you pull it, if not pull it ahead of time for you.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/22/14 9:06 a.m.

Dude. Youd do that? Wow. I would loge the assisstance. I get cut open monday and will be unable to do too much for the next few weeks. Thanks sooo much for the offer. Im gonna owe you more than a six pack...

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/22/14 9:27 a.m.

We'll figure something out for logistics. What pieces do you want? a long block, short block, ?? I can't drop it off to you, though, but I could hang on to it for you to pick up.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/22/14 10:32 a.m.

I'll need the longblock. Manifolds and tin are still good. Same with accessories. Heads may or may not be any good anymore, but if you're able toffind a vortec for that price id use those heads.

Dad will let me borrow his truck once im cleared to drive again. So pickup would not be a problem. Key for me is just to find a solid, running and cheap small block. Hell, I don't even care if its a 305 or 350. More cubes would be preferred, obviously, but its my truck. Not a hot rod. Well, not really a hot rod....

Anyway, if you want to look into it for me, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you don't have the time, I understand. If you want to call memy nnumber is 828-260-1254

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
8/22/14 10:35 a.m.

Where did it crack?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/22/14 10:38 a.m.

Split it from the threaded into the water jacket plugs on the passengers side about 4 inches up towards the starter. Also appears to have cracked on the drivers side up by the head.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/22/14 10:40 a.m.

Last time I was there, Vortec headed sbcs were around. I can take a look for you, but obviously no promises on running condition. I'll check for the obvious stuff. If you're sure, and can reimburse me, I can probably take a look next weekend. I'll have to see how things have changed with the new ownership to make sure everything is still cool.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/22/14 10:44 a.m.

Definitely can reimburse. No problem there. And no hurry. Not like im going to be able to do much in the next couple months.

And I've seen what you do, brian. Id trust your used engine check out a lot better than mine. Furthest ive ever gone in an engine is head gasket. On this one, actually. Im a wiring and chassis guy.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/22/14 5:40 p.m.

We also need to add making the oil into a milkshake.

Im going to beat it till it blows.

tuna55
tuna55 UltimaDork
8/22/14 7:15 p.m.

Just tell me roughly when you want to press the button so it's not sitting in my garage for toooooo long. Not sure how mobile you will be after your surgery, but yeah, it might cost a bit, but you'll gain a bunch of hp and lose a leaky rear main.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
8/23/14 10:33 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: We also need to add making the oil into a milkshake. Im going to beat it till it blows.

If it's not puffing steam pour it full of stop leak, change the oil and flog it!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/23/14 10:44 a.m.

Its not puffing steam. Its dripping from the tailpipes in great quantity.

Its done for!

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
8/23/14 4:00 p.m.

Set up the go-pro and do burnout's until the motor blows or the tires blow!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/23/14 4:05 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Set up the go-pro and do burnout's until the motor blows or the tires blow!

have one to loan me?

and not going to until I know I don't need any parts from it, like the heads.

please see my new engine thread, guys. may be able to save tuna some trouble...

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/23/14 5:55 p.m.

what year truck?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/23/14 6:10 p.m.

truck is a 64 el camino. engine was a 72 truck 350. ive converted to serpentine from the 80;s, and had collected all the parts for a 95 tbi conversion. has a 700r4 also.

novaderrik
novaderrik PowerDork
8/23/14 7:52 p.m.

get some Moroso ceramic engine sealer... the stuff that is compatible with antifreeze is amazing..

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/24/14 8:00 a.m.

i have a 92 350 roller motor from a roadmonster with 103k, it has a rod bearing knock because oil pan had a rust hole. i runs awesome other than it should get a bearing put in and needs cleaned/painted, already has tbi intake on it. if you feel like driving to northeast ohio it's yours and i might even have a set of standard rod bearings.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/24/14 8:44 a.m.

Are you going to the challenge?

Or anyone from your area?

Because this would be perfect. Thanks pat.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qx2eGkucL3FjuUcRHX6CiNVkJr7OBnbgeLxQIrB9O22Cb2B87CoY9W0KLLPrr4KT