1 ... 70 71 72
loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/8/17 9:39 a.m.

Every pound and every tenth of a second counts in EMod so I got this lightweight ring and pinion to accomplish a few things. It is 4 lbs lighter than the old gear set which helps with unsprung weight and rotational mass, and it is a 3.70 ratio which raises my 2nd gear speed from 70 mph to 76 mph and eliminates the need for a 3rd gear shift.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/8/17 8:45 p.m.

I make a heat shield out of titanium and show a little more about the new ring and pinion

OldDave
OldDave New Reader
11/8/17 10:44 p.m.
loosecannon said:

I think I may go to a lighter gray when I repaint the car. This gray gets very hot in the Nebraska sun. Here is an example of the Nardo gray that I like

Looks like primer gray with a clear coat!!

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
11/8/17 11:18 p.m.

In reply to OldDave :

Isn't "nardo" Italian for "primer"?

OldDave
OldDave New Reader
11/9/17 12:00 a.m.

i'm no linguistic expert, but i think Nardo translates to English as Spikenard, or Spike Lavender, whatever the hell that is.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
12/6/17 8:17 p.m.

It's been almost a month since I updated and that's a crime. Here is a new video to satisfy my hard core fans-both of them ;) 

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/6/17 8:44 p.m.

Yes I'm still here.....having just watched the Ytube , you mentioned several times the issue of 'lifting the inside tire' . To me and we've discussed this here , in my limited knowledge of chassis dynamics, I'm hearing a suspension related  scenario versus a driveline issue. I'm all ears and want you two to make top three next season. Is JK running an IRS????

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
12/6/17 9:19 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

The probable issue with the Panther is the motorcycle shocks. They have good damping and all that but have extremely short travel and even with the increased suspension travel as a result of the rocker arm ratio, it works out to only a total of 5 inches of travel. In a hard turn, the inside rear tire would run out of travel and get light. It improved when I stiffened suspension but still has the problem. I am going to change the rear shocks to a conventional design and hopefully get 7 inches of travel. JK is building an all new wizz-bang car with IRS, sequential trans and turbo 1.4 Ecotec. I think the Panther can compete or even beat his current car but if he moves the goalposts with the new car, I don't think anybody in EM has a chance.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/7/17 10:15 a.m.

LC, all is not lost ...I like  the rear shock(brand?/remote reservoir?) path you're pursuing....sequential trans!?!?!?!!!! for what!?!???? a gazillionth of second from 1st to 2nd.......JK spend away bro.... oh and  I see teething problems in your future. Carry on Loose, I see you being way closer that you give yourself credit for. 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
12/7/17 8:58 p.m.

I am looking at getting JRI dampers https://www.jrishocks.com/ because the guy behind the company was the same guy who did all the engineering for Penske shocks and seems to know what he is doing. I have e-mailed them for a quote but it seems that everybody is at PRI this week. A sequential trans has more benefits than "just" the time savings with shifting. JK is building a new 1.4 litre turbo that he wants to run (and win) DM, DML, EM, EML. To run a turbo motor in DM, it has to be 1.4 litre or smaller and breath through a restrictor and that's all very do-able but then to bolt on a bunch of weight and be competitive in EM and EML, he will have to rev it to the moon and have a very narrow powerband. Running a sequential will permit close gear spacing to keep the engine in the powerband and the flat shifting will keep boost from dropping between shifts. It all adds up to a big performance advantage.  All in the quest to do what no car has done before-win 4 classes at one Nationals. I like JK but wish he would sit still for a moment and let me catch up ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Sometimes I am confident of my competitiveness then things fall apart at crunch time. 3rd at SpringNats was very encouraging considering the trash motor I was running but despite the improvements before Nationals, a series of unfortunate events resulted in things not going as planned. Injuring my back, getting a puncture, leaking hydraulic TO bearing, fuel line coming loose and dumping all fuel on course, charge pipe blowing off and the car not shifting to 3rd really made a disaster of my 2017 Nationals experience. All that is behind me now, those problems will all be fixed for 2018 and if I can get the car to turn AND accelerate while doing it, it's going to be a contender for an EM win.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/8/17 12:11 p.m.

LC, is there a specific site for jk's latest effort?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
12/8/17 8:58 p.m.

In reply to 759NRNG :

No, he hasn't posted anything anywhere about the new car, that I'm aware of.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/9/17 1:07 p.m.
loosecannon said:

In reply to 759NRNG :

No, he hasn't posted anything anywhere about the new car, that I'm aware of.

I take it this means 'bookface' ?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
12/9/17 5:12 p.m.

I don't know. We spoke in person and over messenger at length about the new car and it's going to be damn impressive. I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing if I had that kind of budget. There are some young guys racing locally that may look at my car and think the same way as I do about Jeff's car. I am proud of the MGB but there are times I really wish I had gone a different direction. I think a street legal Datsun 510 in XP or SM would be a better fit for me.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
12/9/17 7:09 p.m.

Proud of the MGB............shoot I'm in awe!!!!! Correct me if I'm wrong ,but I get the distinct impression that Misur JK has $$$$$$$ equity in his rides not the sweat equity that you've surely given. That being said, your trials and tribulations throughout this journey IMHO, far outweigh the megabank he throws at his latest steed.

1 ... 70 71 72
Our Preferred Partners
yk3eF3ml7DoZ4ylfFP2fG0XBQiEARxOB