1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 113
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/7/19 7:46 a.m.

In reply to loosecannon :

Can you get a “new” stock harness?

if you can find someone local that can properly crimp the pins, then all you need is a supply of new pins and some time to re-layout the harness. 

zordak
zordak Reader
1/7/19 9:58 a.m.

Wiring is not a big mystery. For any electrical device to work it needs a complete circuit. Just work one circuit at a time until each one works. Tedious but not impossible. 

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/9/19 8:28 p.m.

I called Swap Specialties and had a heart to heart with the guy who does their Ecotec work. I reminded him of the unfulfilled promises and he apologized and said he's the only one working on Ecotecs and is running behind. He also promised to send out a patch cable this week and e-mail me a list of things to check on why it won't start. I want to believe him and I really hope this problem is resolved soon. The only thing between me and a driving race car is the wiring harness. Here is the one I have to fix if I can't get the new one working

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/11/19 6:46 p.m.

Episode 231 just dropped Click here for video

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/19/19 6:58 a.m.

Ok everybody, I put the car on the scales and got a final weight, the video will be out later. Before I started the weight loss program, the car weighed 1666 lbs without me in it. What is your best guess of the weight now?

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
1/19/19 7:58 a.m.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/19/19 1:55 p.m.

One person guesses? Is that how much interest there is in my car? I've gone wrong somewhere, maybe I need to turn it into a drift car or put a Ferrari engine in it?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/19/19 5:15 p.m.

1488, so that you can put some weight where you want it.

The racing target, with driver, is 1700, right?  Which means the "empty" weight will be just over 1700 - your co-driver, since I'm pretty sure she is lighter than you... LOL.

phalanxs
phalanxs
1/19/19 5:29 p.m.

I'd guess 1586 pounds... Don't forget about the lurkers wink

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/19/19 5:59 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

My minimum weight is 1750 lbs and I rolled across the scales at Nationals last year at 1860 lbs. That means that if I can get to 1556 lbs without me in it, I should be at minimum weight. One hour until you can find out how close I come

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
1/19/19 6:37 p.m.

I guess I never realized the minimum weight included the driver? If so that’s good news for me.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/19/19 6:49 p.m.

Loose ....sorry I've been working all week ......#1424.....my final answer....

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/19/19 8:28 p.m.

Ok, the video has dropped. Who was the closest? Episode 232 Will it start? What does it weigh?

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/19/19 8:33 p.m.

Not me way too optimistic, but good on you with the harness playing nice... a truly amazing nine years....and more to come!!!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/19/19 8:48 p.m.

Wow.  Nice cut.

BTW, the harness cover is boxed up, but snow today took us in a different direction.  I'll try to send this week.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/20/19 9:27 a.m.

Here are the weights with me in the car. I just need to add some more fuel and I'll be at the class minimum of 1750 lbs but Briget will need to run ballast

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
1/20/19 10:47 a.m.

Ok, I'll ask.  What happened to the vented bonnet?

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/20/19 8:38 p.m.
jr02518 said:

Ok, I'll ask.  What happened to the vented bonnet?

Yeh, it was a disaster. The front shock mount forced the duct to be a little shorter than planned then the simple radiator I had in mind didn't work out so I had one professionally built, but once installed it was clear that too much of the duct was blocked by the rad to be of any benefit. So, I just went with the lightest possible option, which was the old hood.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/20/19 9:23 p.m.

For the record, I'm watching this!

Great build!  Very informative!

Keep it up, thanks!

NickD
NickD UberDork
1/21/19 12:23 p.m.
captainawesome said:

I guess I never realized the minimum weight included the driver? If so that’s good news for me.

It depends on the class. Street Mod minimum weight is without driver, for example. Mods are with driver.

captainawesome
captainawesome Reader
1/21/19 1:14 p.m.
NickD said:
captainawesome said:

It depends on the class. Street Mod minimum weight is without driver, for example. Mods are with driver.

Yeah I looked over the rules again to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I haven't ever really looked at Mod rules before, so it was a surprising discovery.

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/24/19 10:21 p.m.

A hint of what is coming tomorrow

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
1/25/19 5:39 p.m.

What time tomorrow so i can be first in line??

loosecannon
loosecannon Dork
1/25/19 10:40 p.m.
hvoxi
hvoxi New Reader
1/26/19 1:05 a.m.
loosecannon said:

One person guesses? Is that how much interest there is in my car? I've gone wrong somewhere, maybe I need to turn it into a drift car or put a Ferrari engine in it?

Over the fall/winter I've been thinking about why it seems that often the more in-depth, competent, builds aren't as popular as the more commonplace ones. Like benmodified, AAZCD, skinnyg, this MGB, etc. I love reading this forum, and was thinking about how much more I would gain if every build were of the caliber of these cars. It is incredible how much can be learned from following the complete process. Even just hearing about the mistakes and how things could be better done differently is valuable information on its own- aside from the actual project. I don't mean to take away anything from any of the other cars on the forum- I think what I'm differentiating between is fabrication/design vs maintenance/catalog parts.

I think the reason they sometimes lurk in the shadows is because they encompass and surpass the knowledge of the majority of the forum readers. For example, I have very little to contribute to the MGB aside from saying something like, "this is an amazing project. I don't fully understand what's going on, but I appreciate that you take the time to share what you're doing and what you're learning with everyone publicly. The engineering alone is impressive enough, not to mention the real-world logistics of doing the planning, bringing all the pieces together, testing, redesign, documenting it here, etc. Thank you for taking the time & I hope it's as rewarding for you as it looks from my computer screen."

I think I first read the MGB thread 4-5 years ago, and a few times a year I'll think of it, or the Firefly, or the V6 Sentra/n600, etc., and search through the build forum for updates of my favorites. I am sure there are many people out there doing the same, who don't post because they have nothing to offer other than repeating praise and admiration. Thank you for keeping up with the build over the years(: I think that the word used to describe the people taking on projects of this level is 'trailblazer'. Title that video "We took a CAR with a V12 SWAP to a GO KART TRACK?!!  HIT THE WALL!!" ;)

1 ... 88 89 90 91 92 ... 113

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dbkJ2o61S3RB6IElWNMdkJBgWe3DKs9jPilxZgxf3X5HkF9Psnb9ubwuOKSjy7mh