pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/9/20 1:10 p.m.

Since I don't know what happened and don't want to start any political issues, feel free to delete this question.

I read that the SCCA nominated a new Director of Rally/Solo last year but has an interim director this year. (Names purposely withheld) Any story on what happened? COVID 
-19 stuff? Just curious.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/9/20 1:58 p.m.

That was discussed in last night's town hall but, to be honest, I don't recall the specifics. 

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
7/9/20 2:52 p.m.

The official story is it was a covid-19 related staff reduction of the new director and another employee within the solo program (forget the exact title/position). I'm honestly a little confused about the setup now. There is an interim director as you said, but last night they made it sound like most of the actual work is being done by the former director, who had transitioned to something of a consultant role last year.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/20 8:36 p.m.

Autocrossers: "We should probably have some meetings to discuss the interim director's qualifications and rule proposals. This is very important stuff"

Rallycrossers: "Never heard of this person"

TSD Rally people: "Does this person apply to us too?"

But seriously - so is this the person who replaced Steve Hyatt? Or was he director of something else related to rallycross? Guess I could ask him since I know him lol....

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
7/9/20 9:00 p.m.
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

Autocrossers: "We should probably have some meetings to discuss the interim director's qualifications and rule proposals. This is very important stuff"

But seriously - so is this the person who replaced Steve Hyatt? Or was he director of something else related to rallycross? Guess I could ask him since I know him lol....

No Hyatt was chair of the rallycross board (RXB). Nothing to do with this director stuff.

I have heard nothing political just Covid 19 related for the director. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/20 9:17 p.m.
moxnix said:
irish44j (Forum Supporter) said:

No Hyatt was chair of the rallycross board (RXB). Nothing to do with this director stuff.

I have heard nothing political just Covid 19 related for the director. 

Shawn, from today forward I am decreeing you as "Czar of RallyCross" since everyone else has titles, but you're probably faster than them on course :)

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
7/9/20 11:16 p.m.

Yeah as far as I know they've always been fairly hands off on rallycross aside from running the national championship event. Howard has somewhat regularly competed at nationals as well and I believe has at least a few trophies if not a championship to his name. Presumably someone at the national office is involved in the planning of the national challenge events as well. But the rallycross program is much smaller and less complex than solo, so it gets a lot less attention and effort put into it.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/10/20 10:18 a.m.
dps214 said:

But the rallycross program is much smaller...    ...so it gets a lot less attention and effort put into it.

Which ensures that it stays as such (smaller). I'd wager dollars to donuts that rallycross program sponsorships are a "throw in" in several cases of the autocross program whereas the program would generate more funding if managed as a stand alone. Several sanctioning bodies do this with classes in wheel to wheel, then in cases of an attached contingency they tell the drivers, look at what we did for you, when it was really a selling out to get pen to paper on a deal for a class or program that they are as being more prestigious. 

Until rallycross and hillclimb are under separate management within the SCCA, I'll die on this hill. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ToZd7Y6uyFcBBp51eQCSSfYi6DECSq4NIMYo0R2ieRaFDUraGGFJqogLdDeM7R4V