JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
7/11/08 2:53 p.m.

In my quest for a smaller, more fuel efficient mode of transportation, I came across a '93 Impreza with 122k miles. Looks clean from the pics, but I need to know more before I go to look at it.I have decided that I do need 4 doors.What is the average mpg from these cars?

Please tell me the good and the bad if possible.

Thanks,

John

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
7/11/08 2:57 p.m.

with the AWD, it's not as good as you'd think.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/11/08 3:05 p.m.

in my experience, 21-22 in town/ 26-27 on the road.

whoppediedoo.

a fine car, but don't buy it just to save gas.

Nashco
Nashco Dork
7/11/08 3:29 p.m.

Yeah, if you've got an AWD the mileage is actually kinda crummy for a wimpy little car. Even with a 1.8 and five speed, they're only EPA rated for 24/28, so about 30 mpg is probably the best you're going to eek out of it even in fuel efficiency mode. The FWD is a bit better, rated at 25/31, but still no supermiser. If you want something that era with better fuel economy, I'd look at something else myself. If you're coming from a big block 70s pickup, then that might seem peachy, who knows. Like belteshazzar said, don't buy it just to save gas. Subaru has never been too keen on fuel economy, that's not really their bag. They're great at many things, but fuel economy is not one of them.

Bryce

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
7/11/08 3:33 p.m.

I'm coming from a '91 Toyota LandCruiser with the mighty 3FE.

Anything.....anything short of a big block would be an improvement in mpg.

Eh, the search continues.....

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/11/08 3:43 p.m.

SATURN!!!

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/13/08 4:53 p.m.

'93 will be a 1.8, not exactly going to set the world on fire. The upside is it should be rock solid reliable for the next 250,000 miles.

modernbeat
modernbeat HalfDork
7/14/08 10:49 a.m.

My girlfriend has a '93 FWD with the 1.8 and stick. She drives like a bat-outa-hell and never gets less than 28mpg. Highway cruising at a constant extra-legal speed she's been getting 35mpg. The AC takes a toll on the milage and power on those 1.8 cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LkLHoqMNRLKeCm5NORaUVkeUYZxcZUiWMW43AjDVsxsEhIzF5oPxEZV392yGNgRz