RandyS
RandyS New Reader
12/21/08 3:38 p.m.

(oops sould be M52B32)....

Performing some general maintenance today. Changed a leaking PS hose and swapped out brake pads for something better than the cheap organic pads that came on it.

I was told when I bought it that the engine had been changed out sometime in its past. Laying underneith the engine to swap the hose got me thinking that I have no idea if this is a genuine M3 engine. The PO could have used a less expensive 328 engine.

The Motorsports cover is there and the proper ODBII intake manfold is there. Where can I find some identification marks or tell-tale signs to verify it is a genuine 3.2?

Randy

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
12/21/08 5:14 p.m.

Nevermind. Found it.

http://www.ge39.com/files/zeigeinfo.pdf

Page 30.

Looking for a "326S2" stamped on the block near the motor mount.

walterj
walterj HalfDork
12/21/08 9:24 p.m.

The S50/52 came in the M3, not M... M50/52s were in 325 and 328s respectively.

...and yes, check the tag on the block.

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
12/22/08 6:04 a.m.

Thanks. New to BMWs so I'm slowing getting to know the nomenclature.

Is there any difference between the S52B32 engine for manual or automatic transmissions?

Randy

RandyS
RandyS New Reader
12/24/08 5:08 p.m.

Checked the block today and it is stamped with the proper "326S2". Knowing that ODBII engine swaps are usually made along with the donor ECU in order to keep the stored engine milage correct, I pulled it and sure enough the donar VIN tag is on the lid. I ran a carfax on it and the engien is from a 2000 M Coupe that was totaled at 30k.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TXCEy9fQ59TsJfbG6FM3kwMRZQhtY7hU6t0ITtCmr6OAvncLFCswbZwMsszYxcFp