NY535iManual
NY535iManual None
5/23/08 1:20 p.m.

Because of some job changes and other factors, I am considering buying a newer, larger car for a daily thats dead-nuts reliable but not a Honda or VW. It seems like a used RX-8 may fit the bill size wise and be fun/good bang for the buck to boot. Thoughts from the crowd? Anything to look out for on these beasties?

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/23/08 1:25 p.m.

With gas prices what they are nowadays, the mileage is what kills 'em for me.

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
5/23/08 1:30 p.m.

Agreed. I don't think the RX-8 even breaks 20mpg. I think I'd look at some of the new "hot hatches" instead. Mazda 3, Saturn Astra, etc. Not as fancy as the RX-8, but won't make you weep at the filling station.

That said, the RX-8 is a pretty nice car. They had some early mechanical issues with the engine, but I think those have since been resolved. I don't recall details.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
5/23/08 1:33 p.m.

If I stumbled across an RX-8 in need of engine swap, though, I might change my tune. I think you could put an LS1 in there and get better mileage.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/08 1:33 p.m.

Nice looking and pretty good handling, but too heavy and thirsty. Buying one now would be exactly like buying a muscle car at the beginning of the '73 oil crisis, except gas will never be affordable again so you'll have to make it run on something else if you want it to be valuable in 30-40 years.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
5/23/08 2:41 p.m.

buy a GTO. Same price, same size, 200 more hp and better gas mileage.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 Reader
5/23/08 6:46 p.m.

My daughter has on 04 RX8. MPG is in the low 20's. Will rev to an obscene limit of almost 10 grand. Take care of it and will last. The 13B rotary is pretty good. Keep the oil level up, they are designed to burn oil, and it will last a long time. One other thing my daughter learned the hard way, make sure the battery is good. The throttle system is electronic "fly-by-wire" and without a good charge on the battery all it will do is idle, step on the gas and nothing happens. They handle great. There is one that only has aftermarket shocks and r-comps where we autocross and it routinly set FTD in full body car. The only cars that beat it are formula and A-mod. Daughter does pretty well autocrossing it too.

neon4891
neon4891 Reader
5/23/08 6:51 p.m.

GTO 6spd gets 30mpg highway(under OLD epa ratings)

JohnGalt
JohnGalt
5/23/08 10:00 p.m.

Mine gets 20 and on a good day it gets 21 so everyone is right on the money as far as gas mileage is concerned. But it is an absolute JOY to drive. Mine is not that heavy, just below 3000lbs and it revs to the moon. Just go drive one and decide for your self. I got mine for a steal because the depreciation on these cars is so serve. you might want to try RX8club.com.

Luke
Luke HalfDork
5/23/08 10:06 p.m.

What sort of mpg does a 350Z get? Seems like an obvious alternative, as they were in direct competition with the RX8.

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
5/23/08 10:27 p.m.

I just test drove one about 20 minutes ago and LOVED it! The engine sound just makes things cooler...waaay cooler. Not a ton of torque but it's very similar to the Miata "feels faster than you're really going" type deal.

However, when I finished the car smelled like coolant, and burned oil...ooops. Plus I could almost watch the gas gauge go down during full throttle outbursts. Like everyone else has said, throw the 2.3 turbo in their and call it good.

On another topic they tried to sell me a $31K "market adjusted" MS3. Needless to say I'm not buying from this dealership.

aircooled
aircooled Dork
5/23/08 11:58 p.m.
wlkelley3 wrote: My daughter has on 04 RX8. MPG is in the low 20's.

This may actually be good if you looking for a used one. A few people may want to get rid of theirs to buy 15 year old Geo Metros.

Strizzo
Strizzo HalfDork
5/24/08 11:48 a.m.

just wait till the next mazdaspeed miata comes out. its rumored to be the next mazda to get the 2.3 DISI motor. should make not buying a new rx8 a no-brainer

JohnGalt
JohnGalt New Reader
5/24/08 10:07 p.m.

Every one always compares it the the Z and that is the quickest way to get flamed off the rx8club boards. They are similar but the rx8 has a very use able back seat and an ok trunk. the Z has neither which is one of the reasons i did not look at many Z's. They have NO room inside. but still i am not hating on Z's they are good fast cars, just stating a fact.

ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/08 5:59 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: but too heavy and thirsty.

I think they're less than 3000 pounds, which makes them a featherweight in today's market.

NY535iManual
NY535iManual None
5/26/08 7:21 p.m.

Thanks guys for all your input. I am more than a little shocked at mileage estimates - People's mileage experience on here is similar to those on Mazda's own figures, which I had assumed to be low-ball numbers. Even so, the car is still attractive to me because of the useable back seat and trunk. (This is why I crossed the Z off my list.)

Now, I guess, I should ask for alternatives: Suggestions for a rear wheel drive, very reliable (already have my old Bimmers to wrench on) relatively new used car with good A/C in the $12-15k price range? Two doors preferred, but optional, reliability and RWD are must-haves.

skierd
skierd Dork
5/26/08 7:55 p.m.

Newer surplus cop cars? :dunno: How far have prices on used 300c's or their lesser Dodge brethren fallen?

However, there is one certain little car that fits in your year, price, reliability, rwd-ness, and has good-enough a/c. Hint, its from the same company as the RX-8 and starts with an M. ;)

kilgoretrout
kilgoretrout New Reader
5/27/08 1:03 a.m.

If you like the Z but need seats, how about an Infiniti G35? Or maybe an E46?

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
5/27/08 8:43 a.m.

G35 coupe comes to mind - it's a 350Z with a back seat. Or, a G35 sedan, though they tend to cost a bit more.

An early E46 might work, though you're likely talking about something in the 2000-2002 year range to get to your price point.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kytSONON0TZ82ArwAT9dsDD8LfyDABfykACqFZ3AEXY1EC6nZqHiO28nrRodKmfJ