1 2 3 4
1966stang
1966stang New Reader
9/11/09 10:02 a.m.

Scion TC-Why is this car so seldom seen at autocrosses and Road Racing events?

Seems like a whole bunch of the import crowd loves them, yet I see only a few at SCCA/Nasa style events.

Please explain...I know that it is built on a Euro sedan type chasis, and that it supposedly doesn't ahve the best of suspension geometry. But what are the real rreasons for a lack of TC's?

Chris

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/11/09 10:14 a.m.

heavy, underpowered, front heavy, fwd

think that covers most of it

carguy123
carguy123 Dork
9/11/09 10:19 a.m.

UNDERPOWERED SQUARED

Autolex
Autolex Reader
9/11/09 10:30 a.m.

you forgot OPEN DIFF + Good Torque = Spinning inside wheel + Torque Steer

(I have a buddy that runs his in ST locally, it's pretty fast, but on the tight stuff, it's all wheelspin and bodyroll)

bequietanddrive
bequietanddrive New Reader
9/11/09 10:40 a.m.

They're nice cars, and make a great DD. They are underpowered compared to the newest sport compacts out there, down at least 40 hp or so from the Civic Si, GTI, etc.They are a few grand cheaper though, and a few TRD parts could wake up the car.

Still, I'm not too sure why people don't autocross them more, just for the sake of a good time. They won't be nationally competitive but neither will my xA and that doesn't stop me.

Unfortunately a lot of the tC owners I see around Tampa are the thug wannabe kind, not exactly the type interested in Auto X. It's a shame.

andrave
andrave Reader
9/11/09 10:46 a.m.

A friend of mine bought a new one with like 7000 miles as a rebuildable for pretty cheap... fixed it. I think the total for purchase plus repair was around 7k.

He supercharged it for a while and now is running a turbo and figures he's around 300 whp... claims its pretty quick, keeping up with vettes and mustangs on highway rolls.

I think the weight on them is mostly over the front wheels, so I can't imagine they would be proficient cone carvers... and they do weigh a pretty good bit for how small they are.

Carson
Carson Dork
9/11/09 10:52 a.m.

Can you get them without the glass roof?

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
9/11/09 10:53 a.m.

I had thought that it was a rebadged corolla coupe. Not that I ever had much interest in one.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
9/11/09 11:04 a.m.

camry motor though right?

Autolex
Autolex Reader
9/11/09 11:21 a.m.

yeah. 2.4L Camry motor... some versions come with the multi panel glass moonroof... (opens pretty large)

I can see how they would excel at drag/from a roll racing (60%+ of the weight over the front wheels)... but not very good at autox....

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
9/11/09 11:22 a.m.

SCC "tried" to turn one into a handler....they gave up for the reasons mentioned. They did add the TRD supercharger (not sure it's still available) so it was no longer underpowered, but it still couldn't handle. It was the only project car they "gave up on", at least when it came to trying to improve it's STRONG tendency to understeer.

xci_ed6
xci_ed6 Reader
9/11/09 11:29 a.m.

Yeah, Camry engine. You hit the gas pedal, and the car takes off...then it hits a brick wall at like 4krpm and stops being fun.

M030
M030 Reader
9/11/09 11:37 a.m.
bequietanddrive wrote: Unfortunately a lot of the tC owners I see around Tampa are the thug wannabe kind, not exactly the type interested in Auto X. It's a shame.

Not just in Tampa.

I often see them being driven extremely aggressively on the street in my area.

Carson
Carson Dork
9/11/09 11:44 a.m.

This might be the only way to get them to handle:

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/11/09 12:06 p.m.

Me like this!!

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
9/11/09 12:22 p.m.

I remember being excited when they first came out and going for a test drive. My summary is it's the perfect car for some kid who thinks he likes sporty cars but really still lusts after mommy's minivan. I'm sure I've driven a less inspired vehicle in my life, I just can't remember what right now.

Friends who work for Toyota feel the same way, but then they drive between them an STi, a Miata and a Mustang.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Reader
9/11/09 12:27 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: I'm sure I've driven a less inspired vehicle in my life, I just can't remember what right now.

Doh, what was I thinking, of course I can think of a less inspired vehicle, my wife's old Toyota Highlander, now that was vanilla with wheels. Well actually vanilla is boringly and reliable, reliable is not a word ever associated with that steaming pile of canine excrement.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
9/11/09 12:33 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Me like this!!

More proof that box flares = goodness.

InigoMontoya
InigoMontoya Reader
9/11/09 12:35 p.m.

TC= Typical Corolla

Bobzilla
Bobzilla HalfDork
9/11/09 12:37 p.m.

Simple reason: I don't know that many females that auto-x. No lie, 90% of the tC's I see here are driven by late teens early 20's females.

But like has been stated already, they are heavy (make my Elantra feel svelte), not much power for a 2.4 and are heavy.

andrave
andrave Reader
9/11/09 12:47 p.m.

yes they seem to be most popular with young college girl type people in my experience too.

regarding the one with two gigantic wings... wtf... is that serious?

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
9/11/09 12:56 p.m.

That is the cheapest car with a panorama roof and about the only toyota I'd want to own. I just like a panorama roof though.

The problem with toyota's is they are too sensible.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
9/11/09 1:04 p.m.
andrave wrote: regarding the one with two gigantic wings... wtf... is that serious?

Quite serious, as in they were able to measure how many seconds it improved their lap times serious. I just hope it doesn't catch on.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
9/11/09 1:11 p.m.

In reply to andrave:

apparently it set some kind of record at a time trial a couple months ago

jcanracer
jcanracer New Reader
9/11/09 1:20 p.m.

as with 95% of all scions, their owners are more interested in "show" rather than "go"

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YD99IlLcKGX0zijDC1HxqKIQt91yjGyIg9yY4Eykf24uUKJNppjpVFb6JrLcxrA1