1 2
plance1
plance1 SuperDork
6/4/15 9:35 p.m.

Seriously, been driving one at work. The thing has radio buttons on the back of the steering wheel! It covers up all sins!

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/4/15 9:46 p.m.

So let me get this straight. Some company builds quite possibly the worst crap-box I've ever driven (and I've owned both a Trabant and a Lada), and because they put radio buttons somewhere they weren't supposed to it "covers up all the sins"?

There's help if you need it, we all care about you

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
6/4/15 9:53 p.m.

Your question hurts my brain. I don't need to drink...driving the dodge avenger makes me high on life. Not since driving my dads 88 trans am with steering wheel radio controls have my fingers been so happy.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/4/15 9:58 p.m.

It's just a stretched Mitsubishi platform on the first gens, so it's not bad. Just needs some help.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
6/4/15 11:10 p.m.

which one? The last avenger was a hateful junk pile.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
6/4/15 11:35 p.m.

My ms3 has the radio controls on the front. My brothers 300m had them on the back. That E36 M3 is confusing. I likes em where I can sees em. I will say though, the 1g avenger was a damn fine looking automobile. Too bad its manners didn't match its face.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltimaDork
6/5/15 1:59 a.m.

i thought the Avenger looked pretty good when they used them in the IROC series in the mid 90's..

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
6/5/15 5:46 a.m.

Best car I've ever rented bar none. Especially with the Boston premium radio.

Bluetooth is easy to set up, cup holder where I need it, comfy and roomy and astonishing fuel range. It's not a looker or speed machine, but it eats the miles.

The Hyundai Sonata is also in this category, but the rental Avengers had a better radio from an ease of setup perspective.

I'd never buy one though.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
6/5/15 6:26 a.m.
turboswede wrote: It's just a stretched Mitsubishi platform on the first gens, so it's not bad. Just needs some help.

It needs to be put out of it's misery.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
6/5/15 6:34 a.m.

My MINI has radio controls on the back of the steering wheel. I've only owned the car for 8 years, so I haven't figured them out yet.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
6/5/15 7:03 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote:
turboswede wrote: It's just a stretched Mitsubishi platform on the first gens, so it's not bad. Just needs some help.
It needs to be put out of it's misery.

A 4G63 swap (which apparently needs some clearancing the hood) ought to go a long way towards removing the misery from one.

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
6/5/15 7:25 a.m.

I drove an avenger as a rental a few weeks ago and it is a car I would never pay any amount of money to own. As far as I could tell there was no way to control the brightness of the instrument cluster lights. Maybe I should've looked on the back of the steering wheel? The car really seemed way behind Hyundai and Ford (other cars I've recently rented).

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
6/5/15 7:49 a.m.

Our Chrysler minivan has radio buttons on the back of the radio. They are wonderful. That's right where they should be. On the front they clutter up the spokes and can collect dirt and grime. On the back, they are millimeters away from where your fingers already are.
They should all he there.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/15 7:54 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt:

when swapping a more then 20 year old motor of the same or smaller displacement is an upgrade for a vehicle, it's time to put it out of it's misery. The Avenger is the poster child for why Dodge should've been allowed to go under.

Scottah
Scottah Dork
6/5/15 7:55 a.m.

I would drive the 1st gen all day long if it had the 420a with a 5-speed gearbox. I love the look of them and the 420a is a very undervalued engine due to it's somewhat not really brother the 4g63.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
6/5/15 7:57 a.m.

I have no love for steering wheel mounted controls. Cruise maybe, but my great big hands change radio stations or volume every time I turn a corner.

TGMF
TGMF New Reader
6/5/15 8:06 a.m.

I loved the Avenger........ movies.

That's all the love I could muster for this horrid, horrid car. There's a reason Chrysler went bankrupt (again) and its embodied in the Avenger.

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/5/15 8:08 a.m.

Saab has radio controls on the back of the wheel too, but OP takes a pretty hateful stance towards those...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/5/15 8:27 a.m.

The best thing about the Avenger is Mr. Regular's review of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klLSZooiirk

It's NSFW for language, by the way.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/5/15 8:30 a.m.

High on life? Nope. It's just all the interior plastics de-gassing.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
6/5/15 8:31 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: Our Chrysler minivan has radio buttons on the back of the radio.

On the back of the radio? Does that mean you have to lay on the floor and reach up behind the dash to change stations? ;-)

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
6/5/15 8:41 a.m.

Could be worse, they could have called the Sebring a great car...

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man HalfDork
6/5/15 9:04 a.m.

The blacktop package made it look pretty mean. Also, those things really moved when equipped with the pentastar.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/15 9:43 a.m.

So you're saying it makes a good rolling boombox, that doesn't mean it can't suck as a car

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/5/15 9:48 a.m.

I wonder how many people own/drive them without realizing there are buttons behind the wheel?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DAKS4Bx9KDtUc7qEXMyeC9aaMbT0dRsNbsW0LU6XhcSCSHoGtFveLwkaetIaIaCZ