1 2
02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
11/30/12 8:05 a.m.
Ian F wrote: I've had to drill out a few that have siezed on MINI's - which use an effing phillips screw (my VW at least has a torx). The last one even my hand impact driver wouldn't budge. As a last ditch attempt before drilling the mofo out (BTDT) I put my air impact gun on it using the bit driver from the hand impact - that got it out. Definitely slather the SOB with antisieze upon reinstallation. I need to keep new ones around just in case - especially for MINIs.

That's odd - given that MINIs are a BMW product, I would have expected them to be internal hex like BMWs are. I wonder if any of the BMW pieces would interchange so you could replace the phillips-head pieces with the more robust internal hex units.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
11/30/12 8:07 a.m.

oh, one other thing .... had to change rotors at the track last time ... and had forgotten to remove the screw the last time I changed rotors .... yeah it wouldn't move, I didn't have a impact screw driver with me, and I didn't have my screw extractor set ... no one around me did either ....

finally someone pointed out that the rotors coming off were shot ( way past turning ) so just take a hammer and whack the heck out of the rotor ( both sides ) .. pretty soon the screw had been vibrated so much that it came out ezy-pzy

7pilot
7pilot Reader
11/30/12 8:09 a.m.

I had one missing on my M3. After a few track events the holes for the wheel bolts started to Egg out despite the road wheel bolts holding torque. I recommend new ones with copper based anti-seize

m

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
11/30/12 8:11 a.m.

I like them - when you are swapping wheels or pads at the track in a hurry and everything is wicked hot it is nice not to have the rotor flopping around free. I get less burns.

I have seen them back out on people and cause a wobble or even cause lugs to come loose when the wheel won't seat right at the next swap so do snug them a little.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/30/12 8:19 a.m.

I put them back in but with a nice helping of anti seize, salt is hell on cars.

dculberson
dculberson SuperDork
11/30/12 1:06 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote:
Woody wrote: As an added bonus, they're easy to strip when you're trying to remove them.

How would that help remove a countersunk phillips head screw?? :-)

Will
Will Dork
11/30/12 4:01 p.m.

Well, brakes are (mostly done). Still have to bleed them. No problems with screws, but I did manage to shear one caliper bolt. And I still hate pistons that have to be rotated to retract.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar UberDork
11/30/12 5:18 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: I have heard reports they do dampen potential warp/shudder by holding the rotor steady against the hub.
I can't possibly imagine how that little bolt would do something if 4-5 large nuts/bolts torqued to 75+ isn't holding it steady against the hub.

^^this

I throw them away every time, personally.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZcVNJcCwRJ4DmPX2y5t4GSdWynZ0wIVKO6rJ84AJEeHoYlrCHGFGaOlds8av1AWn