92dxman
92dxman Reader
3/21/09 12:56 a.m.

A friend of mine has the desire to put new seats into his 90 Civic. I recommended swapping in Si seats from that vintage but he wants a GM conversion van type cushy bucket seat. Is this a long shot to make happen?

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
3/22/09 9:50 a.m.

With a welder and a grinder/sawzall nearly anything is possible.

But more importantly than is it possible, why???

He better airbrush a bad ass D&D mural with nekid women and/or mythical creatures on it if he does put a captain chair in it, thats the only way I see this mod as acceptable.

92dxman
92dxman Reader
3/22/09 10:53 a.m.

I honestly am scratching my head personally. I told him to snag a pair of si seats and call it a day or maybe find a pair of prelude/accord, integra or even newer civic seats but he doesn't like any of the ideas..

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/22/09 11:01 a.m.

DA Integra seats fit in. And if he doesn't like them, then tell him to sell the car to me.

DA Integra seats are AMAZING.

JFX001
JFX001 HalfDork
3/22/09 11:36 a.m.

I've also heard that DelSol seats are also the goodness.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
3/22/09 11:53 a.m.
JFX001 wrote: I've also heard that DelSol seats are also the goodness.

They are, but they're a direct bolt in for EGs, but i don't think EFs.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn Dork
3/22/09 12:22 p.m.

Unless he's three feet tall, a GM conversion van cushy bucket seat may have his head sticking out through the sunroof.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
3/22/09 12:33 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
JFX001 wrote: I've also heard that DelSol seats are also the goodness.
They are, but they're a direct bolt in for EGs, but i don't think EFs.

Might require swapping seat rails from the original seats into the Sol seats (I had to do this when I put Sol seats into my EM1), but that's easy and they're killer seats.

ww
ww Dork
3/22/09 1:10 p.m.

The DelSol Si came with pretty decent Recaro's which makes them a great donor.

ChesterRumble
ChesterRumble New Reader
4/4/09 3:50 a.m.

"Generally" any OEM Honda Civic seat will fit without too much trouble. All you have to do is set aside some time and take apart the orginal seats and donor seats and swap out the bottom seat pan. That way you still can use the original sliders/brackets with the newer seats. There are some How-To's on Honda-Tech I believe on the basics of swapping seat pans.

If you're looking for a low seating position, the Del Sol's are you're best bet followed by Integra seats. CRX Si seats are very comfortable too and would be a direct bolt in, but good luck finding a nice set.

I've never sat in DA/second-gen seats so I do not know how comfortable they are. Whatever you do, DO NOT let your friend throw in any 1996-2000 Civic seat unless it is from an Si. You'd have more support with a milk crate, cardboard and duct tape contraption than you would from an EJ8 seat...but that's just my opinion.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
4/4/09 9:48 a.m.

The van seats would be way too high for a Civic unless he's having trouble seeing over the dashboard. Civics do have a pretty high driving position compared to some cars, but they're not van-high. Some of the Chrysler K-car seats may have a similar feel but be closer to the right height. Still a very strange idea - I'd think he could find something in the Honda lineup that feels right.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
4/4/09 10:31 a.m.
ChesterRumble wrote: I've never sat in DA/second-gen seats so I do not know how comfortable they are. Whatever you do, DO NOT let your friend throw in any 1996-2000 Civic seat unless it is from an Si.

NO.

99-00 Si seats were HORRID. They had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Thus why I swapped mine out for the del sols.

I can't vouch for other EK/6gen seats, though.

I will say--the stock EG DX seats in my current EG are damn good seats in terms of comfort. As a long commute/road trip seat, they're damn good.

BTW--I dug this up from my old tripod site (that I'm amazed still exists)

Full how-to of a seat swap (done in the kitchen of my old bachelor pad--lol) http://www.members.tripod.com/gamby123/id33.htm

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B8URothVpfHDDRXMNGlrLnb26L3o84VOL6zt5O7mduhq9q1OmUej3p0azr8iTI04